Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Metal Julep Cup

Pages: 1 19 replies

KD

Although there are scores of 'em on the Net, would anyone suggest a proper metal, flared Julep-style cup for 151 Swizzles, etc? Thanks in advance.

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Aug 5, 2014 7:24 AM

I just went to Ebay and searched for aluminum cup or vintage aluminum cup or some such and waded through 500-600 images to find the most flared example I could in a set of 4. I have way too many at this point that I have picked up over the years.

I do not know if there are any current manufacturers out there, although the Mai-Kai still has a source for theirs.

I use my copper moscow mule mug sometimes, cold and frosty...

Well, I would advise against aluminum, I actually got mine from Tiffany's but you have to do a special order for that one.

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Aug 6, 2014 5:59 AM

On 2014-08-05 19:16, wizzard419 wrote:
Well, I would advise against aluminum, I actually got mine from Tiffany's but you have to do a special order for that one.

Why not? About 100 million aluminum cans are drunk out of every day.

Yes, and those are coated on the inside (and I would imagine the decal does some protection too) and are single use products. You would eventually wear away the coating through normal use and such.

Throw in that aluminum is believed to have some negative health effects as well with chronic exposure.

a traditional julep cup is silver.

In the 60s my grandparents had aluminum jeweltone cups and an artesian well, water was always THE BEST at their house

S

Aliminum and health

Seems very minimal. More problems with using it in deodorant than most other things and has very little effect on healthy adults.

If you're drinking water (mostly at neutral PH) that is one thing but if you start adding in alcohol (which usually is acidic) and other reactive things into the cup you start upping it. Additionally, if you're one of those bastards that adds club soda to your MJ... then you up it even further.

At the same time, you probably aren't habitually drinking it every day for 30 years so your intake won't spike too much. The bigger problem is that as these are not "Non-Reactive Vessels", it can impact flavor.

Here are some of the good Julep cups
http://www.cocktailkingdom.com/all-glassware/juleps.html

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-08-13 18:25 ]

Yet only one out of three of those would be advisable as drink vessels (copper and nickel are both toxic).

That is also how you can tell cheap Moscow Mule mugs from better quality ones, check to see if it is lined with something that won't react with your cocktail.

On 2014-08-13 22:53, wizzard419 wrote:
Yet only one out of three of those would be advisable as drink vessels (copper and nickel are both toxic).

Say what? The water pipes in my house are made from copper! Am I in trouble? Maybe I need to do some research...

S

On 2014-08-13 23:47, Hakalugi wrote:

Say what? The water pipes in my house are made from copper! Am I in trouble? Maybe I need to do some research...

Um, yeah. I take copper supplements daily AND nickel is used in supplements to help with cold symptoms.

I'd steer clear of Lead cups, but I'd say the above are OK.

T

Most if not all restaurants use aluminum pots and pans.
Chefs will tell you not to use metal spoons or at least not to scrape the sides/bottom of the
aluminum pans to avoid getting that metal taste from these pans.
But cooks do it all the time.
I can remember that old lady that would give you a drink with those aluminum drinking cups,
man I hated those things as they gave off an aluminum taste.

http://www.centralrestaurant.com/search.aspx?res_per_page=20&sort_by_field=Relevance%3aASC&keywords=pots+or+pans&gclid=CKek7fv5ksACFQaCMgodWxoAvw&brand=Vollrath+Wear-Ever

That is also how you can tell cheap Moscow Mule mugs from better quality ones, check to see if it is lined with something that won't react with your cocktail.

Ooooh, bummer for me. I just received four solid hammered copper 24oz nickel-lined Moscow Mule mugs in the mail yesterday.

Swanky's link says the LD50 (average lethal dose) of aluminum is 500 grams or about half a pound. Google tells me the LD50 for copper is about 10 pounds and the LD50 for nickel is about 20 times that. The ironic thing is that we are worried about the toxicity of the cups when we are filling them with alcohol, a substance known to be much more toxic than any of these metals :lol: :wink:

Yes, foodservice does use them, for non reactive foods. Places that care about what they put out will not use them for said foods, not out of health concerns but rather because it impacts the final product by discoloring and/or adding an off-putting flavor to the food.

On 2014-08-14 10:08, MadDogMike wrote:
Swanky's link says the LD50 (average lethal dose) of aluminum is 500 grams or about half a pound. Google tells me the LD50 for copper is about 10 pounds and the LD50 for nickel is about 20 times that. The ironic thing is that we are worried about the toxicity of the cups when we are filling them with alcohol, a substance known to be much more toxic than any of these metals :lol: :wink:

You shut your whore mouth about alcohol! :D

:lol:

Pages: 1 19 replies