Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Gold Coco Palms Resort Coconut Mug

Pages: 1 8 replies

T

Didn't know where to put this (mug meets commemorative plaque) so I just made a new topic. Anyhow, a Coco Palms 25th Anniversary commemorative Golden Coconut.

Not sure if this was a 'one off' for the 25th Anniversary or if they had Golden Coconut mugs which they pasted on a plague (it sorta looks like that). Only asking since according to their drink menu, they did indeed have a Golden Coconut drink. Served, one would presume, in a golden coconut.

Does anyone have anymore information on this?

WOW awesome find...I have been searching for a Coco Palms related mug for years and didn't know if one even existed. Might want to contact Bob Jasper who did the tours. His knowings of the resort are extensive and if he doesn't he might be acquainted with someone who would. Again GREAT find. :)

So I went and took a look inside "The Story of the Coco Palms Hotel" by David P. Penhallow, while ther are plenty of pictures of people dinning and enjoying drinks everything I could see was china , classic stemware or the occasional real coconut vessel. Might be another point of contact for more info though. Hope this helps a little.

T

On 2014-08-16 10:02, Mockingbird wrote:
So I went and took a look inside "The Story of the Coco Palms Hotel" by David P. Penhallow, while ther are plenty of pictures of people dinning and enjoying drinks everything I could see was china , classic stemware or the occasional real coconut vessel. Might be another point of contact for more info though. Hope this helps a little.

Thanks for taking the time to look through the book. I found http://www.coco-palms.com which is an interesting albeit outdated site. However, they do have a drink menu from 1987 which shows a rendering of a Golden Coconut mug with a lid that has a straw hole in it.

It looks almost exactly like the Gold Coconut mug from above. If this is the case, it would mean that they had a coconut mug (with a lid) from '78-87. Hard to believe then that there aren't more out there. Maybe not per se gold plated - which might have been just for the anniversary. But if anyone has a coconut mug from Hawaii that has a lid on it, please share and it might very well be from the Coco Palms!

Wow...great pictures. It would be awesome to run into some of the elusive mugs.

Very, cool find!

T

Per Mockingbirds suggestion, I reached out to Bob Jaspers who indeed replied back with some great info:

Thanks for sending the pics of your Golden Coconut.

It is unusual to find a mug with the base and anniversary plaque. Every five years, the hotel (Grace) would come up with something different to give to VIP guests celebrating an anniversary. Until recently, I had not seen the mug with a base.

Following that anniversary, they started using the golden coconut for a drink, as you saw on the menu. People were not supposed to keep the coconut, but I think some did. A guest who got one in the late 80's mailed it to me, saying he felt guilty...lol.

So you've got the real deal, a rare keepsake from the Coco Palms. Very nice find!

Aloha

Bob Jasper
CCP Entertainment
Site Manager Coco Palms
Consultant Roberts Tours

So many thanks to Bob Jasper for sharing this info and Mockinbird for the suggestion.

Bob has a Coco Palms facebook page "Coco Palms Resort, Kauai" which is very informative.

Awesome! Let me know if you find another one you lucky dog. :wink:

We have one of the anniversary mugs in gold. We are so happy that it was for the same year we were married, 1978. We also went there before the hurricane and had a meal on the patio. We sure hope it opens again soon. Wendy

Pages: 1 8 replies