Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Tiki in NYC as of 2014

Pages: 1 13 replies

I know that the "What to see Tiki in NYC?" has been done before but I also know that a bunch of places have unfortunately closed since last year. I did a search and most that I came across are about specific events or are older. We are already planning on hitting the american museum of natural history. We will be there for a 4 days and have a wedding to go to for one of them. Also I have a little guy (my 5.5 year old son) who is also LOVES all things Tiki as well (except for the adult drinks). So if anything is or is not family friendly a heads up would rock. That way we know if Nanna and Grandpa will need to be on sitting duty for the evening. :) Thanks for the help.

[ Edited by: Mockingbird 2014-08-12 08:30 ]

I was just in NYC and outside of the American Museum of Natural History I couldn't find much.

But in itself, the AMNH is AMAZING, and not only for tiki..... just make sure to devote a lot of time for everything. You need a full day. (Heck, a couple of days to see the whole thing)

I'd even add the Metropolitan Museum of Art to that list. There was far more South Pacific stuff in there than I was expecting.

^ I had no idea. Wow.

Thanks for the info :)...Bummer that such a big city doesn't have a decent Tiki establishment.

Wow, I looked on Google images to see some pictures of the Met Polynesian artifacts exhibit and it looks amazing.

They have a ceiling covered in PNG shields.

H

This is the picture I took when I was there.

Here's a few I took there 2 years ago:

And one of a Gauguin:

There has been a lot of raise and fall of tiki in NYC. Outside of the two museums which both have great exhibits, we have Otto's Shrunken Head, the Rusty Knot, the Zombie Hut, King Yum, and Jade Island. If you want to bring your son somewhere your best bet is Jade Island in Staten Island. It is your typically Polynesian/Chinese joint in a strip mall. Food is decent as are the drinks.

A new one on the map is Jeepney which is a Filipino restaurant. Every Tuesday they have Tiki Tuesday. No real tiki decor, but the drinks are great and food is excellent.

There are few places in New Jersey if you are renting a car.

Rent is so high here in NYC that a lot of places fail before they ever really have a chance. My of my favorite places to catch live music just closed when their rent hit $40k a month! I love this city, but sometimes things are just out of hand.

Yonkers,

We will actually be staying in Hoboken and we will have a car. So suggestions on that side of the river are very welcome as well. Thanks for all the info. Always good to get the local low-down. :)

Yeeeep. Now I have to go back to NYC. Yep.

Oh awesome that you will be in Jersey. You should definitely try to check out Lee's Hawaiian in Lyndhurst and Chan's Dragon Inn in Ridgefield. Both are pretty typical chinese/polynesian places with lots of bamboo and tiki masks everywhere.

There is also Lun Wah in Roselle. I haven't been but I hear it is worth the trip.

There was a great article in Trillist a little ways back
http://www.thrillist.com/drink/new-york/nyc-tiki-scene-is-it-dead-deep-dive

but it does ignore some of the other Tiki Haunts in NYC
Specifically Otto's Shrunken Head, Zombie Hut, and Jade Island on Staten Island.

From Hoboken but not in NYC GO to Chans its near the George Washington bridge.
Or Lee's Hawaiian - they have karaoke - I forget what nites and powerful zombie drinks.
Lun Whan in NJ too - all semi close to Hoboken.
Also all kid friendly food good all around chinese. Also all similar to Jade Island but less expensive Toll bridges.

If you have to choose only one I'd pick Chans but thats just my preference. Ask if they have any Chans S&P shakers left (maybe in the basement ;) )

INJOY

Pages: 1 13 replies