Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

tiki friends

Pages: 1 9 replies

D

Hi, I myself have just registered under friendster.com I would love it if you guys would put your name as a friend, especially those of you in the Chicago area. I don't normally post on here and I will be attending Exotica 2003 (never been to an event before) and looking forward to meeting all of you.
My email addy for friendster is [email protected]

O

i'm actually on friendster too. my older sister and her boy came to visit and said
i had to join. i'm not in chicago, but in California instead.

D

Cool, put me down. I'm listed with my email addy above.

Isn't Friendster some sort of dating gig for folks that, well... hope to find someone to date 'em?

D

It's for dating, friends, everything basically. I just got on a couple of days ago. I don't really know much about it.

And being everything to everyone is cool I guess. But I've always had a concern about society in general being so dependent on the net/computers in order to behave in human-like ways - what if the servers fail!

Hey, I see a novel here - (Some time in the future)-

'Society continued to cling to the net, like a suckling to the tite, until eventually the lower limbs of humankind withered away. In addition, people had lost the basic skills to interact with each other on a face-to-face level.

Much like Oz, humans had built themselves up as great machines in their user profiles. A great wave of depression set in as man was faced to accept reality - he/she wasn't a successful software engineer, who likes running, working out, dinners by candlelight, long walks on the beach - as a matter of fact, they could no longer walk at all.

Then on what was to become the new millenium's 'Black Monday', the the unthinkable happened - the master servers were all shut down by the hideous 'Anti-Society Virus'.

Afraid and unable to leave their computer screens, man was only able to stare blankly at the once illuminated screen. In it he saw the reflection of a once recognizable face - his.'

Or not.

O

you know i don't even know what friendster really is. is it for dating? i have only been on a couple of times since i joined. my sister said that she found alot of friends from here high school and junior high days that she hadn't seen in a while.

I just have 3 questions:

What is it?

Why do we need it?

Is it anything we can't already do on TC?

D

I just like it cause I'm always either at work or school so it's just nice to meet, talk, etc. with people I wouldn't meet in my day-to-day life. Unfortunately, I don't work with many interesting people.

Pages: 1 9 replies