Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

6.0 Earthquake Northern California / Bay Area 8-24-2014

Pages: 1 5 replies

Just sending out a little Aloha to all the Ohana out that way, hope everyone is okay..
:(

"TikiPop" On Instagram

[ Edited by: Beachbumz 2014-08-24 22:40 ]

Judd Finkelstein reports on Facebook he has things to clean up at his house and is going to be checking the barrels at the winery.

Eric Jorgensen had the following damage...he texted this to me. Ya power is out and I'm not sure when it's going to be back on. I've got a lot of damage here. The worst is I lost my chimney, water heater came unstrapped and water was shooting up for about 15 mins until I could shut off at the main. My big tiki fell over and smashed all of my mugs. That's the one thing that really bugs me. Not many survived. I lost a lot of my booze and glassware. It smells like a distillery over here. That's okay I needed to replace my glassware anyway. (We will do a Tiki mug donation drive for Eric at our Sac Tiki Crawl in October.)

W

Not too bad in Oakland, all the mugs are ok!

Where I live, in Florida, there was a big quake in about 1886 that almost toppled the St. Augustine lighthouse. We ARE in a southern earthquake area, but they occur very infrequently. There could be a mega-quake any day and it would wipe us out because our seismic codes are minimal because we are technically not earthquake country but hurricane country. A big quake will happen again here.

There are photos here in TC of home bars where the owners have put up fishing line to help retain the mugs in the event of temblors. Others use Stickum. If you have a valuable collection, it's good to think about mug safety, especially if you are in an active quake zone. I don't want to lose any of my mugs, or my liquor, so the thought has crossed my mind.

On 2014-08-24 16:38, VampiressRN wrote:
Judd Finkelstein reports on Facebook he has things to clean up at his house and is going to be checking the barrels at the winery.

Eric Jorgensen had the following damage...he texted this to me. Ya power is out and I'm not sure when it's going to be back on. I've got a lot of damage here. The worst is I lost my chimney, water heater came unstrapped and water was shooting up for about 15 mins until I could shut off at the main. My big tiki fell over and smashed all of my mugs. That's the one thing that really bugs me. Not many survived. I lost a lot of my booze and glassware. It smells like a distillery over here. That's okay I needed to replace my glassware anyway. (We will do a Tiki mug donation drive for Eric at our Sac Tiki Crawl in October.)

That a bummer about Eric's place... :(

Glad to hear all is ok Woody!!

Eric posted pictures on Facebook...his places was a mess, he lost his great rum collection. Wendy/Dan, Dave and I have Tiki mugs covered for him. We will do a rum donation for Eric on the crawl.

Dave...how were things at Judd's?

Pages: 1 5 replies