Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

So... would this bust be considered Hawaiian, Polynesian, Tiki....whatever??

Pages: 1 4 replies

Saw this in my local Goodwill. Thought about picking it up, but they're asking 10 bucks for it....a bit more than I like to throw away on a "maybe". Looks to be a male figure with some kind of headdress. There is what looks to be a hibiscus flower above the right ear. Any thoughts? No markings on it.

thanks,
howlinowl

It's from Bali.

T

I don't think it's from Bali, but is a Filipino mahogany carving and what looks like a flower is a tobacco pipe run through the hair.

aloha

I see those for sale out here all the time. Maybe 1-2 sets for sale a week at the swap meet, all of differing quality and details. Real cheap too...They usually come in pairs, male and female. They all seem to be of Philipines origin.
I'd pass at $10. $20 would be high end to me for a real nice carved set of two. But, those have no appeal to me so I never bought a set. If you really like it, name your price for a set and I'll se what I can do... My goal would be $10 for a set.

I'm sure the Bali dudes are making those too.

Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2014-08-25 21:00 ]

I think Bali and the Philippines are both correct. You can do an eBay search for Bali bust and Philippines bust and the same carving comes up.

Pages: 1 4 replies