Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 9-10-14 Back to School

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: September 10, 2014

On today’s show we headed back to school with all the other pre- and post-pubescent pupils seeking knowledge and enlightenment in all of its variegated variations.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm EDT at: http://www.radiofairfax.org The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. The 1935 song by Johnny Noble: “I Want to Learn to Speak Hawaiian recorded in the year it was written by Andy Iona & The Islanders, found on the comprehensible compilation: Hawaiians in Hollywood – Smooth, Sweet & Swinging – 1934-36, with Iona on Rickenbacker Frying Pan Six-String Electric Lap Steel Guitar, Ukulele and Arrangements; Bob Cutter on Vocal, Danny Stewart on Lap Steel Guitar; Allen Kila on Guitar; and Sam Koki on Bass.

2. “Waikiki Hula,” composed by Isaac Keola and performed by the Hawaiian guitarist Cyril Pahinui on his sizzling CD: Ka Ho’oilina Mau, this song refers to two lovers attempting to meet at the Kamehameha School when it was located at Ka’iwi’ula, where the Bishop Museum is today. He leaves Waikiki to meet her at Kewalo, but she doesn’t show up.

3. “No Tears,” performed by Na Leo on their 1999 album: Colors. The vocal trio is Angela Morales, Nalani Choy and Lehua Kalima Heine, who composed this song as well, accompanied by Marovic Esquibil on Keyboard Synthesizer.

4. The 1949 jive classic “Professor Bop” taken from the righteous retrospective: Real Crazy – A Proper Introduction to Babs Gonzales with J.J. Johnson on Trombone; Sonny Rollins on Tenor Sax and Jack “The Bear” Parker on Bass.

5. “My Heart Belongs to Daddy,” written by Cole Porter and introduced by Mary Martin in the 1938 Broadway musical: Leave It to Me!, sung in 1953 by Eartha Kitt with Henri René and his Orchestra and found on her cooling collection: Miss Kitt, To You.

6. Another song referring to college football, “Jamboree Jones,” which was composed by Johnny Mercer and featured on the 1955 eloquential LP: Bobby Troup Sings Troup, Mercer and More, with Mr. Troup on Vocal and Piano, Howard Roberts on Guitar, Bob Enevoldsen on Valve Trombone and Tenor Sax, Red Mitchell on Bass and Don Heath on Drums.

7. A medley of “School Days” and “Teach Me Tonight” found on the 1994 filial album: My Mommy & Me by The Matt Catingub Big Band, featuring the renowned jazz vocalist Mavis Rivers, who is the mother of Matt Catingub, also known as the Big Kahuna, featuring Jim Cox on Piano.

8. “Stompy Jones” taken from the historical document: Duke Ellington and His Famous Orchestra at Fargo, North Dakota, November 7, 1940, featuring Barney Bigard on Clarinet, Rex Stewart on Cornet and Ray Nance on Trumpet. This rare recording of the Ellington orchestra live during that time was made by Jack Towers and Richard Burris when they were college students, during a concert given at the Fargo City Auditorium. Towers won Grammy in 1980 for his cleaned-up version of this recording.

9. “Jive Formation, Please” from the Bodacious Box Set: Cab Calloway & His Orchestra -- Volume 2, featuring Dizzy Gillespie and Doc Cheatham on Trumpets, Chu Berry on Tenor Sax, Milt Hinton on Bass and Cozy Cole on Drums.

10. The 1946 song “Schoolkids Hop,” found on the brilliantine Box Set: Slim Gaillard – Laughing in Rhythm, with Gaillard and Bam Brown on Vocals, Howard McGhee on Trumpet, Lucky Thompson on Tenor Sax and Marshall Royal on Clarinet.

11. “Down the Old Ox Road,” written by Sam Coslow and Arthur Johnston for the 1933 Bing Crosby movie: College Humor, recorded by the singer Joy Bryan on her 1957 labial LP: Joy Bryan Sings, backed by The Marty Paich Septet with Marty Paich on Arrangements and Piano, Jack Sheldon on Trumpet, Bob Enevoldsen on Trombone, Herb Geller on Alto Sax, Ronny Lang on Baritone Sax, Red Mitchell on Bass and Mel Lewis on Drums.

12. “Small Fry,” composed by Frank Loesser and Johnny Mercer and introduced by Bing Crosby in the 1938 movie: Sing You Sinners, recorded in 1960 by June Christy on her children’s album: Cool School, with Joe Castro’s Quartet featuring Howard Roberts on Electric Guitar & Joe Castro on Piano.

13. “Electricity, Electricity” by Bob Dorough, found on his studious CD: Sunday at Iridium, recorded live in New York in 2004.

14. The 1953 recording of “Young at Heart” written by Carolyn Leigh and Johnny Richards, sung by Frank Sinatra and included in the collegial compilation: Classic Sinatra – His Greatest Performances 1953-1960, with the orchestra arranged and conducted by Nelson Riddle.

15. The song composed in1946 by Josef Myrow and Mack Gordon: “You Make Me Feel So Young” performed by Patrick Williams and His Big Band on the 1998 ambitious album: Sinatraland, featuring Hubert Laws on Flute. Williams, is best known as the composer of the themes of TV hit shows The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Bob Newhart Show, The Streets of San Francisco and Lou Grant.

Pages: 1 0 replies