Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

cheap rum recipies

Pages: 1 15 replies

T
TU posted on Thu, Sep 25, 2014 5:00 AM

I bought the cheapest rum I could find for a backyard party at the start of the summer. Because I have really boring friends, I still have over half a bottle. It tastes like, well, really cheap rum.

What are the best drinks you have made where the taste of the rum isn't a big part of the taste of the drink?

To get things started, the best mix I have found so far is some LimeAid out of the cooler section in a tall glass with a couple of shots.

Thanks

Tu my recomendation is to drink it Feb 1st after a long "Dry January". You'll be jonesin' for alcohol so bad you won't notice :lol: :D

Tu, Cool name. Toss the cheap and buy some good rum. New and exciting friends will find you.
Cheers

D

Life's too short to drink cheap booze. Pour it out.

T

On 2014-09-25 11:38, djmont wrote:
Life's too short to drink cheap booze. Pour it out.

This 110%, BUT, if everyone is already three sheets to the wind, they're less likely to notice that the quality of the hooch has taken a dive.

...or use it to barter services from your local hobo...

A

I agree, if you have good rum then life is too short for bad rum.

But I won't pour anything out either so have ended up with similar half bottles & have found ways to use it up.

Rum & coke doesn't cover up bad rum but if some asks for a rum & coke, I usually offer the duff brand by name & if they say ok them that's what they get (I usually apologetically follow it up with a 'proper' drink).

I think Missionary's Downfalls & Pina Coladas can 'cover up' for poor white rums.

I have a 'running bottle' of dark rum bottle ends that I top up (it's got all sorts but the bulk of the flavour is about half overly strong flavoured demerara rums) that is actually quite good in Painkillers.

Infuse the hell out of it. Still won't cover up everything, but a good dose of spices sitting in the rum for a couple of months does wonders!

save it for the Christmas fruitcakes and rumcakes...

T
TU posted on Thu, Sep 25, 2014 5:26 PM

Excellent advice everyone. Once I made some watermelon jungle juice with white rum. It was tastey and I used the melon for the bowl. It is starting to get Kinda cool outside for a backyard rumble, but I figure every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.

I wouldn't throw it out, that's alcohol abuse!

Make some rum punch. You can put some decent rum with the bad and add lots of juice and bitters. It will taste good and you will use it all in one shot.

I make POG punch a lot and it is always a hit! Pineapple, orange and guava juice with 2 rums of different flavors with angostura bitters, nutmeg and cinnamon. It would taste better with good rums, don't get me wrong, but it will taste just fine with bad rums.

On 2014-09-25 10:37, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Tu, Cool name. Toss the cheap and buy some good rum. New and exciting friends will find you.
Cheers

Points!

T
TU posted on Sun, Sep 28, 2014 8:58 AM

So here is the cheap rum drink of the week....

1 shot Don Q
2 shots Triple Sec
1 splash of lemon juice

Fill the rest of the glass with iced tea.

Not too bad. Kind of my variation of Rockabilly Juice. I like the tea flavor and I think I will experiment with some more teas. It is starting to cool down, so soon I will be drinking hot coco with Kahlua, but there will be a few more weeks of warmish weather.

T
TU posted on Fri, Oct 31, 2014 9:29 AM

Found another good use: Shredded BBQ pork crock potted with rum. It made the meat melt in your mouth. Up next is rum and coke chicken.

I did got get some Captain Morgan 1671. Good Stuff!!!

C

Dump it in some egg nog.. Out in here in Southern Cali we have nog produced by a dairy named Broguiere's.. The stuff is thick, rich, spiced up and delicious.. Anyone in So Cal you must get it.. It's found at Sprout's, Stater Bros. and Vons in my area..

R

Came here to post this article and saw this thread. This is the ideal place to add this from TheKitchn.com:

Make Your Cheap Rum Taste Heavenly with Just 3 Ingredients

*I bought this $6 bottle of Trader Joe's rum for a recipe I was working on a few months back, and after using the few tablespoons I needed, it has sat at the back of my liquor cabinet collecting dust ever since. Because let's face it: a $6 bottle of rum tastes pretty much like a $6 bottle of rum, and that's nothing I'm excited to have in my cocktail at the end of the day.

In a recent sweep of the dark corners of my kitchen, I unearthed this bottle and thought to myself, Self, I bet you could do something with this rum to make it taste amazing. And that's when inspiration struck...*

http://www.thekitchn.com/make-your-cheap-rum-taste-heavenly-with-just-3-ingredients-tips-from-the-kitchn-200573

On 2015-02-03 15:31, robtikiti wrote:
Came here to post this article and saw this thread. This is the ideal place to add this from TheKitchn.com:

Make Your Cheap Rum Taste Heavenly with Just 3 Ingredients

*I bought this $6 bottle of Trader Joe's rum for a recipe I was working on a few months back, and after using the few tablespoons I needed, it has sat at the back of my liquor cabinet collecting dust ever since. Because let's face it: a $6 bottle of rum tastes pretty much like a $6 bottle of rum, and that's nothing I'm excited to have in my cocktail at the end of the day.

In a recent sweep of the dark corners of my kitchen, I unearthed this bottle and thought to myself, Self, I bet you could do something with this rum to make it taste amazing. And that's when inspiration struck...*

http://www.thekitchn.com/make-your-cheap-rum-taste-heavenly-with-just-3-ingredients-tips-from-the-kitchn-200573

Sounds like a good way to salvage those bottles of bacardi well-meaning friends keep sending my way.

Pages: 1 15 replies