Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Possible allspice dram substitute?

Pages: 1 5 replies

Hi all,

I picked up a bottle of Monin's Pumpkin Pie syrup about 6 months ago, figuring I would use it as a coffee flavoring. It's been unopened since. Recently I've been learning about cocktails, and I wanted to trie a Navy Grog. The recipe I'm using calls for allspice/pimento dram. I've seen the recipes to DIY, and the ingredients seem to be the exact same (cloves, cinnamon, allspice, etc) as what goes in pumpkin pie seasoning.

So.. Has anyone tried substituting Monin's pumpkin pie syrup for allspice syrup?

K
kkocka posted on Sun, Oct 5, 2014 9:25 AM

I wouldn't - I imagine the flavoring's too potent, regardless of whether it shares the same ingredients or not. Is there a reason you want to try that particular recipe, or would you like another that doesn't call for it? The original's pretty darn good.

A

In opposition to kkocka I was thinking 'go for it'!

The comparison that pumpkin syrup & pimento dram share ingredients so therefore might be similar is probably quite inaccurate - like comparing two drinks that contain the same 'building blocks' (eg the daiquiri & planters punch - both rum, sugar & lime but different quantities (& rums)).

But if you try it out & like it then it has worked for you - just know that you should try pimento dram, lest you miss out on something.

Isn't the "Pumpkin Spice" flavor usually more heavy on the nutmeg? If the dram is supposed to be heavy on the allspice then it might not be the right flavor. At the same time, you already bought it so the worst case scenario is you have one drink go south.

there are some easy recipes around here for emergency pimento dram using simple syrup and ground allspice

D
djmont posted on Sun, Oct 5, 2014 5:56 PM

Pumpkin pie syrup tastes like pumpkin pie, not pumpkin pie spice.

I imagine that would be a vile drink.... But you never know. :)

If you can't find allspice dram -- which isn't that hard these days, fortunately -- get some of a Dale DeGroff's allspice bitters.

Pages: 1 5 replies