Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Syrup Ratio Question

Pages: 1 7 replies

This may be a dumb question but if a recipe calls for say 1 oz rock candy or rich honey syrup and all you have on hand is a 1:1 ration, can you use twice as much of it and get the same result since ultimately it is the same amount of sugar or honey or will the added water dilute the blend of the rest of the drink? Alternatively, if you have rock candy and it calls for simple syrup, can you use half as much? I've been using a 1.5:1 sugar blend in recipes that call for either simple or rich and it seems to a good enough balance that I don't have to keep two separate sugar syrups on hand at all times. Curious what you pros do.

All of the above are perfectly good strategies. Double up on 1:1 when a recipe calls for rich, cut back on 2:1 if the recipe calls for straight simple, or use a 1.5:1 ratio and split the difference. It all works.

Your tastes also change over time too and you'll be tweaking the syrup amounts you add to different cocktails all the time go find the right balance that suits you.

This may be a dumb question

No. When it comes to the bar there are no dumb questions.

Dumb answers are plentiful! I've got a whole bucket of them if you need some of your own.

if a recipe calls for say 1 oz rock candy or rich honey syrup ...Alternatively, if you have rock candy and it calls for simple syrup, can you use half as much?

Generally, yes.

To both.

If you are ever not sure, make one cocktail with one method and make another with the other and see which one you like better.

Remember, it is in the name of Science!

And having to drink two cocktails to make sure is such a hardship, I don't know how you will ever manage. Maybe we should come over and help you test this theory. :wink:

I'm all for Science!

Thanks as always guys for the wisdom and support. Several months back my girlfriend said I needed a hobby. I chose to get better at making tiki drinks. Little did either of us know it would turn into a full on obsession that has me experimenting most every night. I truly enjoy the science of mixing and the endless possibilities that await my consumption. Just wish more fanatics lived here in Austin to sample these recipes with me.

Austin has a really happening cocktail scene right now. You should be able to find some folks who like tiki drinks.

Purists will say that if a recipe calls for a rich 2:1 syrup, that's what you need to use. As a wanna-be purist, I've always followed this dictum, which is probably why I have a second refrigerator overflowing with different syurps (regular and rich simple, regular and rich demerara, regular and rich honey, brown sugar, molasses, agave, you get the picture).

At some point, merely doubling the amount of syrup rather than using a rich version will compromise the drink. I'm just not sure what that point is, and if anyone except those with the most discerning palate will notice.

But if you're really serious about this hobby, maybe your should start looking at those mini fridges. I was able to justify it pretty easy with my wife. "But honey, won't it be nice to have all my little bottles out of the kitchen refrigerator?"

And I second what TikiHardBop said. I'd love to check out Bar Congress or Half Step.

Pages: 1 7 replies