Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Trader Vic's Tiki Party book egg roll wrappers recipe?

Pages: 1 3 replies

Downloaded the kindle version of "Trader Vic's Tiki Party" a couple of days ago, figured I'd give some of the recipes a go this weekend.

I have a question about the egg roll wrapper recipe ingredient list that follows:

Egg Roll Wrappers

Makes 8 wrappers

10 large eggs (Ten!?!)
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoon Veg oil, plus additional for frying

Ten eggs for eight wrappers???? So many eggs and so little of the other ingredients. Surely this must be a typo....someone fat fingered a "zero" or didn't scale down the eggs from a larger recipe.

Has anybody tried to make these? Any ideas on what to maybe scale back the eggs to?

Thanks,
howlinowl

Well they are called egg rolls for a reason but after looking at some online recipes for egg roll wraps, I have to agree that those proportions seem a bit off!

Here is another recipe, I would say that one is way off.

Ingredients:
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup cold water
1/4 teaspoon salt
7/8 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons peanut oil

Directions:

1. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, cold water and salt.
    Mix in all-purpose flour 1/3 at a time.
    Allow the mixture to stand 15 minutes at room temperature.

2. Heat a wok over high heat. Remove from heat and thinly coat with 1 tablespoon peanut oil.
    Reduce heat to low. While wok is still warm, pour 1/4 of the egg mixture in an approximately 8 inch circle.
    Rotate wok quickly to spread an even layer of batter. Cook over low heat 45 seconds to 1 minute,
    until bottom is golden brown and edges begin to curl.
    Carefully remove from heat and place on a paper towel, golden brown side down.

3. Repeat the wok procedure with remaining batter, 1/4 at a time.
    Rub wok with remaining tablespoon of peanut oil after the second wrapper has been made.

4. Allow the wrappers to cool completely. Cut wrappers in half to use for egg rolls.

Another recipe on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zihVscHSZWo

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-10-17 22:37 ]

That seems a bit odd... unless egg roll wrapper is a different thing to that cookbook. That almost looks like it would make the Japanese omelet.

I should also add... you can also just buy them at the grocery store. If they stock wonton wrappers, the egg roll skins are usually right next to them.

[ Edited by: wizzard419 2014-10-18 13:54 ]

Pages: 1 3 replies