Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Unusual Trader Vic's

Pages: 1 11 replies

I just bought this today. Couldn't find it on Ooga-Mooga. Anybody have any info other than the obvious? :)

Answered my own question lol! Anyone know a date range?

From the prices on the menu, early to mid 1960s.

I love that...good find.

Beautiful! I'm totally jealous! Enjoy.

I'm more of a Frankoma Tiki guy so this may be up for sale, auction or trade soon.

Ebay link posted in marketplace

J

Great bowl TraderJames. I think I can help zero in on it's age. We took my folks to Hawaii in 1987 and had lunch at the Waikiki Trader Vic's (which I have been told, was not owned by Vic Bergeron) and I got this menu. I took home a Seahorse and my wife got the Tiki Like.
I don't know how long before or after 1987, this menu or these pieces were used, but around '87 anyway. One of these bowls showed up on Ebay recently, maybe this is that one?

A quick side note: The waiter told us Hawaii was the only state that the Vic Bergeron Trader Vic's didn't own the right to the name. Could this have been a Don Beach (Don the Beachcomber) conspiracy to keep Bergeron out of his home port? Unlikely - but this restaurant was pretty shameless when it came to borrowing mainland Trader Vic's motifs. I'll post some pictures later.

[ Edited by: Jamoorea 2014-11-02 00:33 ]

J

Another note on this: the back of this menu says "a Spencecliff Restaurant - Serving the people of Hawaii since 1939".
So that puts it near the time Bergeron reinvented Hinky Dinks into Trader Vic's and a year before the first franchised T.V. opened in Seattle. So... who stole motifs from who?

This thread has lots on this Trader Vic's: Trader Vic's, Honolulu, HI, (restaurant)

[ Edited by: Jamoorea 2014-11-02 13:04 ]

Aloha,

The Trader Vic's Waikiki was open in 1967. The piece dates to 1968-1972 when Polynesian Pottery used that mark. You can read more in my book, "Waikiki Tiki: Art, History, and Photographs." Congrats to the new owner who paid $227.50.

T

"Congrats to the new owner who paid $227.50"

Who could it be?
If you look on ebay that is if you have an idea who it was, you can match the numbers of
how many feedback they have and know who it is.

Odd, you used to be able to see the item a person bought within a one month time frame.
Looks like you can't do that now.

One ebayers "one month time frame" was like going to an online museum of tiki.

Cool bowl for sure.

Aloha,

On 2014-11-01 23:40, Jamoorea wrote:
I'll post some pictures later.

I am quite looking forward to them. The thread on the lost Trader Vic's Waikiki/Honolulu Ward Avenue location is here

Pages: 1 11 replies