Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki/Tropical Themed Wedding

Pages: 1 23 replies

I

Just got engaged at Pu'uhonua o Honaunau on the big island last week and now searching for a good wedding location.

Does anybody have good experiences with any tropical/tiki themed locations either in California or elsewhere? Have looked somewhat into Bali Hai since I am familiar with the property from Tiki O visits, but other than that, haven't found much. We live in the Bay Area, but willing to travel, not a huge budget.

Woohoo & Congratulations! on Your Engagement! :) Check your PMs.

Humphreys by the bay (next to Bali Hai) has an A frame and tikis. Bali Hai is a great place for a wedding. I was just in one a couple months back. Glad to help with any questions, just let me know. Woohoo knows how to do a tiki wedding too!

I'm getting married at the Mai Kai in April. The cost is surprisingly low for what we're getting. We're doing the ceremony in the tiki garden underneath this guy:

Then having a reception in a private dining room with cocktails, food and our own private show rather than with everyone else in the main dining area. Really looking forward to it. Not sure if you'd want to travel that far. I know Hurricane Hayward was married there a few years back so he may have more insight.

Here's the Tahiti Room we're having the party in:

Oh, and we're having our rehearsal dinner the night before in the Molokai Bar with a buffet and yummy drinks.

[ Edited by: mikehooker 2014-10-31 11:46 ]

Congratulations to everyone.

I wonder if Trader Vic's, Emeryville hosts weddings? Other wise on the West coast I would go with the Bali Hai and Humphreys like previously suggested...they are so nice and great atmosphere.

The Mai Kai event looks fabulous.

What a fun thread. We got married in my mom's backyard. No debt was fun too. Wendy

What great ideas, both CA & FLA!! I'm jealous! We got married on the beach, which was cool even if it wasn't Hawaii. Congratulations to the engaged couples. Make sure you get custom mugs if you can and definitely a signature tiki cocktail!!

MauiTiki has made mugs for brides & grooms as well as for guests if you're having just a few guests and if you're having a lot of guests a tiki farm or Japanese import mug would be a super favor, imo! Bounus points if you're able to get your names and wedding date on them!

Can I come????

We're having custom mugs made for us by Tiki Diablo.

Mike - that's super sweet!

Please post pics afterwards.

J

Trader Vic's in Emeryville does hold weddings.

For what it's worth, we had our reception at Bali Hai and they were very easy to deal with. And Humphrey's gave us a group rate on rooms.

I love the idea of custom mugs, but if that ends up being out of your budget, try custom shot glasses. We did that, and had a mini Mai Tai toast (instead of champagne) served in them.

Cheers!

Congratulations!

While not inexpensive, if you are not having too many guests, the Tonga Room has to be considered.

Even if you don't have the room to yourself, and only have a section, it would be a memorable evening.

Of course, the reality is that receptions are dinner parties where there obviously is a set price per plate, making the location vs. number of guests a primary issue.

It may be that by having your reception outside of the Bay Area you will reduce the number of guests attending and therefore enable you to increase the per-plate budget.

Alternatively, flowers and decor can change any interior into a tropical themed placed of wonder.

[ Edited by: christiki295 2015-01-03 18:32 ]

Tiki Diablo just revealed the sculpt for our custom wedding mug, modeled after the Barney West moai outside the Mai Kai. I'm so freaking thrilled we decided to do this. What great work!

I

I would love to do custom tiki mugs as favors, but it's just out of our budget. Knowing our friends we put the money where it counts (liquor). We are going to do basic leis for the guests and then I am planning to do little party boxes for the guests who are reserving hotel rooms. They'll include mac nuts, chcolates, some tropical scented soaps, and other little Hawaiian goodies.

We ended up booking with Trader Vic's Emeryville and are having the ceremony at Marina Park at the end of the road there.
I got this amazing vintage music box for a cake topper:

In No Cal, for a tropical wedding, you will need the warm summer months, and will likely need to make reservations quickly.

Trader Vics Emeryville, and its seaside location immediately comes to mind, but if on a budget, you will have to limit the number of guests.

Here is a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hYNrdbVyeY

It does have limitations, however:
https://www.theknot.com/marketplace/trader-vics-emeryville-ca-821689

Another possibility is the SF Presidio.
http://www.presidio.gov/venues/Pages/default.aspx

T

On 2015-03-29 13:12, Isadore wrote:

We ended up booking with Trader Vic's Emeryville and are having the ceremony at Marina Park at the end of the road there.

Barney West moai army by Tiki Diablo, being dispersed to my wedding guests tomorrow...

Congratulations to you MikeHooker! And to your soon-to-be spouse as well!!!

LOVE the mugs!

Thanks! It was a hefty price to get custom mugs made in such a short run but I'm glad we did it and everyone will be amazed when they open their gift bags. I should have put something beside them in the pic for scale cuz they're almost 11" tall! And tower above the largest mugs in my collection.

I'll post pics of the actual wedding soon. Mai kai really was a great choice. I never want to leave.

T

Congratulations! Wow, the mugs look great, what a generous (and cool) gift from the bride & groom!

Had the most wonderful time at our Mai Kai wedding. To not bogart someone elses thread more than I already have I'll start a new one with bunches of pics and details when I have some time but here are a few teasers...

On our way up to Orlando for Trader Sam's tonight.

mikehooker wrote:
Had the most wonderful time at our Mai Kai wedding.

The both of you look TERRIFIC, congrats!!! (:

Pages: 1 23 replies