Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: Island Wolfhound/Tangaroa Cooler - Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar

Pages: 1 9 replies

K

Island Wolfhound by Mike Johnson and Kelly Merrell, Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar

UPDATED 11/13/19 to reflect the drink's new name, now on the menu since 2019.

2 oz Gin
1 oz Fresh Grapefruit Juice
.5 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
.5 oz B.G. Reynolds' Orgeat
.5 oz B.G. Reynolds' Falernum
.25 oz Monin Agave Nectar, or Simple Syrup (they tend to use Agave a lot there, your choice)
2 Dashes Angostura Bitters

Build in a mixing glass or shaker, adding ice last. Shake until chilled and roll into a hurricane glass. Garnish with fresh mint and/or a lemon wheel or wedge (optional).

This is an off-menu drink from Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar in the Disneyland Hotel. Its an original creation by bartender Mike Johnson, and he'll promote it often along with his King Kamehameha Mai Tai (which is not good, sorry Mike). This one however is a winner. It can be a little spicy but that's part of the character. I've made this several times and I can confidently say that this checks out and is accurate.

Follow me on Instagram
http://www.instagram.com/keithkocka

[ Edited by: kkocka 2014-12-01 19:44 ]

[ Edited by: kkocka 2019-11-13 10:05 ]

Mahalo KK, sounds interesting.
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-11-04 12:03 ]

A

Cool, thanks for the recipe.

V

kkocka thank you for this! Another gin based drink, I can't wait to try it.
Any thoughts on what kind of grapefruit to use?

Thanks for this one! Tried it last night (with white grapefruit) and it was very nice and will be added to the list.

With orgeat, agave, and falernum in the mix, I would think pink grapefruit juice would make this cocktail much too sweet. I will go with white grapefruit for sure when I give this drink a spin in the very near future.

K

Always white, unless a recipe specifies. I think I read in Remixed to always go white, or if not, go as close to white as possible (so pink, then finally red if there's nothing else).

Thanks Sunny&Rummy & kkocka

I figured it would be white, but I thought I'd ask, you never know

I would note the last time we had this drink in March 2014, the recipe did not include orgeat. This might have been an addition over time. Also, the drink was made with Hendrick's gin.

K

On 2014-11-23 17:17, matt-tiki-teo wrote:
I would note the last time we had this drink in March 2014, the recipe did not include orgeat. This might have been an addition over time. Also, the drink was made with Hendrick's gin.

Definitely has orgeat, I am 100% certain on this drink. I'll leave everybody up to their own gin preferences, but yes you're correct.

Pages: 1 9 replies