Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Tonga Hut, North Hollywood, CA (bar)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 150 replies

I just noticed the photos i shot of the Tonga Hut in January of 2004 are a broken link here. I will see if i have them somewhere; they showed the bar as it had been through the 90's and early 2000's previous to Jeremy's purchase and his and other Tikicentralites restoration. Hopefully they exist on an old photo card or backed up files from the old computer. Not that i want to see a return to the beer signs and neon, mind you :wink:

I finally made the 40 mile drive to Tonga Hut and I was really impressed with the place. My girlfriend, who is not a fan of bars, wished it was closer to home because she felt so comfortable there. She was the designated driver and they never let her seltzer glass become empty.
The bartenders were friendly and they made great drinks. The decor was awesome and the crowd was very friendly. Now I have a good excuse to drive to the Valley more than 1-2 times a year.

H

My first visit to The Tonga Hut this week, while on business in LA. Wow, fantastic atmosphere and decor, will definitely make the trek again.

I took this snap of a display case with, I'm guessing, all the "special occasions only" rums. I recognize a few but not all. Fascinating.

Tonga Hut article in Los Angeles Magazine

Los Angeles Magazine: L.A.’s Oldest Tiki Bar Is Turning 60 This Year and That’s Cause for Celebration

[ Edited by: King Bushwich the 33rd 2018-03-01 12:10 ]

H
Hamo posted on Mon, May 23, 2022 7:10 PM

Here's a very good video about Tonga Hut, featuring Marie King:

THE TIKI SHOW | Adventures In Escapism. TONGA HUT
https://youtu.be/VZMbUzYh344

Pages: 1 2 3 4 150 replies