Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki In Texas??? Anyone have luck finding them here!?!?!?

Pages: 1 18 replies

So I made (well a work in progress) my Tiki Lounge (Brian's Enchanted Tiki Lounge check it out http://www.enchantedtikilounge.com) and I need more tikis; Amazon and shipping is boring... I want to get out and look around. Tiki is starting to pick up around here with Texas' getting it's only Tiki bar opening up in Houston and they know what they're doing (Lei Low), but there is hardly NO WHERE to find tikis, tiki mugs, or Polynesian decor. There is one place I found Gulf Coast Palapas, they have a great carver but he only does totem tikis.

If you know a great tiki store or just a place that has some sort of collection please let me know. I'm in the Houston area so that would be best.

Howdy. Tiki and Polynesian-themed stores are pretty scarce in the Houston area. You already found GC Palapas. Nautical Antiques in Galveston has lots of tiki bar worthy stuff like ships wheels, port hole covers, brass lights, cleats, etc. On occasion they've had some carved tikis. I've seen a concrete Moai at Frazier's in Bacliff before.

Garage sales, thrift stores, estate sales seem to be the best hunting grounds around here.

Look in antique malls and vintage stores with a large number of mid century and kitsch vendors. I'm originally from Dallas and there were quite a few places like that. Montrose seems like a neighborhood that would have some shops like that.

On 2014-11-16 07:39, fresnel151 wrote:
Howdy. Tiki and Polynesian-themed stores are pretty scarce in the Houston area. You already found GC Palapas. Nautical Antiques in Galveston has lots of tiki bar worthy stuff like ships wheels, port hole covers, brass lights, cleats, etc. On occasion they've had some carved tikis. I've seen a concrete Moai at Frazier's in Bacliff before.

Garage sales, thrift stores, estate sales seem to be the best hunting grounds around here.

Ah yes I did find the place in Galveston as a matter a fact they supplied some of my things I currently have (2 ship lights under my tiki poles and a huge glass float). Much more nautical than tiki (like you said, "tiki bar worthy", but not necessarily tiki itself). Thanks for the reminder though!!! I do love that store.

Check out my backyard Tiki Lounge. I'm going to try to put together a "backyard tiki bar craw" in the Houston Area next year. Let me know if you'd be interested or know anyone who would be interested. I'm going to try to keep the number low (like 12 - 16 people)

Brian Martin
http://www.EnchantedTikiLounge.com

[ Edited by: EnchantedTikiLounge 2014-11-16 09:32 ]

On 2014-11-16 09:19, tikilongbeach wrote:
Look in antique malls and vintage stores with a large number of mid century and kitsch vendors. I'm originally from Dallas and there were quite a few places like that. Montrose seems like a neighborhood that would have some shops like that.

I thought the same thing "antique malls"... But to no avail. I even went to Texas' largest NOT A DROP!!! Oh well maybe in time.

Thanks for the tip on Montrose. You're probably right about that.

Thank you for the reply.

Brian

On 2014-11-15 16:24, EnchantedTikiLounge wrote:
There is one place I found Gulf Coast Palapas, they have a great carver but he only does totem tikis.

Sounds like the area is prime for another tiki carver, maybe you should pick up some chisels and see what you can do! :D

EJ

fresnel151 pretty much hit the nail on the head for stuff around Houston. There is one artist in Santa Fe, Mike Quinn, who does some Moai stuff and ceramic or plaster fish and what not.

The Lounge looks like a great place to party or relax Brian. You gotta do the fireplace.

Good job on the website too!

C

Check out Amate's posts here on TC.
He's in San Marcos & does some BEAUTIFUL carving work - I highly recommend him!

There's not a magical oasis where all the great tikis are hiding, awaiting your rescue. You need to get out and scour the antique and vintage shops regularly. Amass your collection over time. If you find everything you want all at once at a one stop tiki shop, what's there to look forward to??

I have a vintage shop in Austin and travel all over the country regularly and I always keep an eye out for tiki stuff when I hit up resale shops. Most of the time I leave empty handed but you never know. I found a cool Moia mug in Wichita a couple months ago in the most unsuspecting place, then in OKC came across a tiki bowl, some mugs and small carved figures at a specialized mid century modern shop (the guy was all too eager to get them out the door). One of the oddest finds was a couple weeks ago when I went to an estate sale here in Austin to look at furniture and came out with two Kahiki mugs. My better half found some Trader Vick salt and pepper shakers at a crappy consignment shop here recently. The stuff is out there, scattered all over. The hunt is what's exciting. just keep at it and the tikis will present themselves.

If you ever find yourself in Austin stop in Rave On Vintage. We have a large assortment of Tiki Farm mugs as well as vintage ones and other random tiki decor. And if you get thirsty, I recommend Pleasant Storage Room. While not a tiki bar, it is a Cuban themed rum bar and they will make you any drink you desire.

I second that Amate's carving are spectacular.

On 2014-11-18 21:47, mikehooker wrote:
There's not a magical oasis where all the great tikis are hiding, awaiting your rescue. You need to get out and scour the antique and vintage shops regularly. Amass your collection over time. If you find everything you want all at once at a one stop tiki shop, what's there to look forward to??

I have a vintage shop in Austin and travel all over the country regularly and I always keep an eye out for tiki stuff when I hit up resale shops. Most of the time I leave empty handed but you never know. I found a cool Moia mug in Wichita a couple months ago in the most unsuspecting place, then in OKC came across a tiki bowl, some mugs and small carved figures at a specialized mid century modern shop (the guy was all too eager to get them out the door). One of the oddest finds was a couple weeks ago when I went to an estate sale here in Austin to look at furniture and came out with two Kahiki mugs. My better half found some Trader Vick salt and pepper shakers at a crappy consignment shop here recently. The stuff is out there, scattered all over. The hunt is what's exciting. just keep at it and the tikis will present themselves.

If you ever find yourself in Austin stop in Rave On Vintage. We have a large assortment of Tiki Farm mugs as well as vintage ones and other random tiki decor. And if you get thirsty, I recommend Pleasant Storage Room. While not a tiki bar, it is a Cuban themed rum bar and they will make you any drink you desire.

I second that Amate's carving are spectacular.

Thanks for assuming tiki are waiting for my rescue. I'll go ahead and take that as a complement. I do go out there and look, I never thought there was a magical oasis of Tikis in Texas. That's why I'm asking if people know cool places to look, or where they have had any luck. Sounds like the only Tikis that might need rescuing are the ones you're holding hostage! I just may have to come to your shop incognito to rescue those poor little guys before they all look like Kanaloas!

Brian,

Just wanted to say that the website looks great! If you get people to send you money or mugs, let me know. It would tempt me to try asking myself. (but probably not, lol)

Enjoy your tiki journey.

T

Hey Brian, I have to 2nd the other opinions... you have to hunt far and wide for tiki around these parts. It was never that big down here so tiki stuff is scarce. If you want to stock your bar with tiki mugs, I would buy some newly minted ones and not use any vintage ones except to display. As for the decor, take your time and acquire they right pieces when you find them. It will all come together eventually.

I got ya covered Brian! I'm cranking out new stuff weekly... Give me a call. you have my number...

-Jay

It seems like vintage Ren Clark severed heads and other mugs should be found in Texas since his Polynesian Village was located there. Good luck, the hunt is a lot of the fun. Wendy

Hi ETL/Brian!

Your Conroe oasis is truly lovely. You undoubtedly enjoy many a Mai Tai gazing out upon it! (I sure would.)

Regarding where to find tiki in the Houston area:
I'm afraid you're competing with the likes of BigT, Kilikopela and Brit, el Jefe, Tomas of Sig's Lagoon, Conroe-dwelling-Clouseaux-member-and-fab-tiki-carver Jay (Aloha Tx Tiki Co.), the owners of Lei Low, other Houstonians, Austinites like croe67 who hit town here and me (I'm hunting all the time!), so I can attest that there is indeed tiki to be found, but you're not the only one looking :wink:
But it is certainly no longer as easy to find as in days of yore (or as in California, you lucky bastages), so many hunting expeditions come up dry.

(That Texas' Largest Antique Mall? Yeah, I'm there regularly. Rarely find much there anymore, to be honest, but if you're there, I was probably there a week before you! Ha! Yeah, I have no life.... :roll: )

Honestly, I find more these days on trips out of town and out of state. (And tiki events like Ohana, Oasis, Hukilau, etc. are the best source by FAR.)
My suitcases leave half-empty and return full.
But the carvers my fellow Texans have mentioned here are great sources for beautiful pieces.
(Jay, I need some of your stuff!!!)

Love to meet you and your wahine at Lei Low sometime soon!
Formikahini/alice b

On 2014-12-20 12:56, danlovestikis wrote:
It seems like vintage Ren Clark severed heads and other mugs should be found in Texas since his Polynesian Village was located there. Good luck, the hunt is a lot of the fun. Wendy

Wendy, I've often fantasized about knocking door-to-door in Ft. Worth with a milk carton picture of "Have you seen this severed head mug?"
:lol:

F

On 2014-12-20 12:56, danlovestikis wrote:

You would think... I've had better luck with hens teeth.

TR

New tiki bar in Lake Jackson, Texas called......wait for it..........Poly Pop

https://business.facebook.com/pg/Poly-Pop-224002008161338/photos/?ref=page_internal

I drove by last week and they were putting the finishing touches on it!

Pages: 1 18 replies