Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Changes Coming To Sheraton Ft. Lauderdale (formerly Yankee Clipper)

Pages: 1 8 replies

P

Don't quite know what to make of it all, but it appears the home of several past Hukilaus and other tiki related events, will be going through some changes very soon. The famous Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort (formerly known as the Yankee Clipper) is dropping out of the Starwood program in just a couple of weeks (December 2, 2014) and will presumably no longer be a Sheraton hotel.

Not much info out yet on this change. Since Starwood actually owned this particular property, I'm assuming it's a full sale to a new owner.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/tourism/fl-sheraton-fort-lauderdale-20141114-story.html

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/overview/announcements.html?propertyID=664

As a Starwood frequent guest, I'm not too happy about this. Especially as I have a couple of free award reservations in 2015 booked that will now most certainly be cancelled on me. I suspect someone will be contacting me soon about that.

But who knows? Maybe new owners would invest in plussing up the place a bit. Just hope they don't tear it down to build something else. Such a legendary property with so much history attached.

I got a call about this a couple weeks ago because I have a block of rooms reserved in April during my wedding. The change over is supposed to be seamless with all prior contracts being honored into the new year. They are supposed to be keeping things the same including the Wreck Bar and mermaid show. We'll see.

T

So you can keep your Starwood program if you like them.

On 2014-11-16 06:49, tikiskip wrote:
So you can keep your Starwood program if you like them.

This sounds familiar....where have I heard that before?

howlinowl

P

On 2014-11-16 00:52, mikehooker wrote:
I got a call about this a couple weeks ago because I have a block of rooms reserved in April during my wedding. The change over is supposed to be seamless with all prior contracts being honored into the new year. They are supposed to be keeping things the same including the Wreck Bar and mermaid show. We'll see.

Glad to hear your block is safe and that they're keeping the place intact! But after my call to the hotel, it seems like they won't be honoring my free night award reservations. They said someone from Starwood would be contacting me. I assume they'll try to shift me to another Starwood in the area. But man...I want the Clipper! Hate to have to pay cash money...I'm trying to burn points!

They wouldn't give me any more information.

Did the Sales Department mention any specifics about the change when they called you? Like, was the hotel indeed sold? Are they affiliating with another brand (like Hilton, Marriot, etc)...or are they going independent?

Thanks.

Below is the email I was sent a couple weeks ago. My main catering contact from the hotel had called me a week before to give me a heads up. She didn't know her future but supposedly they were keeping the same staff to ensure a smooth transition.

"This E-mail is being sent on behalf of Amaury Piedra, Complex General Manager

Dear Mike,

As a valued Starwood customer, I want to advise you of some news relating to the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel.

The hotel is scheduled to be sold December 3, 2014 and will not be affiliated with Sheraton Hotels & Resorts, and will not be managed by Starwood. The new owners have advised us that effective December 3, 2014 the hotel will be the B Ocean Resort.

The new ownership group will honor all group and catering contracts signed by the hotel. A member of our sales team will be reaching out to you to answer any questions that you might have regarding this transition.

The team at the hotel is fully committed to a smooth transition of ownership and management. Rest assured you will always be able to count on the hotel and its staff to provide the very best in guest and customer services.

Sincerely,

Amaury J. Piedra
Complex General Manager"

P

On 2014-11-16 17:36, mikehooker wrote:
Below is the email I was sent a couple weeks ago. My main catering contact from the hotel had called me a week before to give me a heads up. She didn't know her future but supposedly they were keeping the same staff to ensure a smooth transition.

Thanks very much for the additional info. Sounds like they're going independent, at least for now. Will miss them as a Starwood earn & burn property. Oh well.

Latest news ...

Sheraton Fort Lauderdale beach now called B Ocean Resort

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/tourism/fl-b-hotel-lauderdale-return-20141203-story.html

The story makes it a point to mention the importance of The Wreck Bar:

"Decades later the iconic bar, which resembles an underwater shipwreck and the hotel's live mermaid show, remain key guest attractions."

And Marina posted the good news on Facebook:
"The Wreck Bar and the MeduSirena Swimshow will indeed continue!"

http://www.bhotelsandresorts.com/b-ocean-fort-lauderdale/notification.php

Not sure if there's any significance in posting this here with all that's already been shared but I just received an email from the B people. I'm sure if anyone else had a prior booking they received the same email but figured I'd go ahead and share this with everyone anyway. Seems they really want to make this a flawless transition and improve the overall hotel experience...

Hello,

I am Peter Sheppard, the Director of Group Sales at the B Ocean Resort Lauderdale (formerly Sheraton Beach Resort). I have your contact information because of the definite group you booked previously with the Sheraton Beach Resort. I want to assure you that we have your group information and will be reaching out to each group to verify details and honor the programs accordingly. I am excited for your group to experience the same amazing beach hotel with elevated services and product that the B brand is known for executing.

Below I listed contact information if you have any immediate needs. Since we are still updating new systems we thank in advance for your patience and cooperation.

For Convention Services:
Dee Torrealba – Convention Service Manager – [email protected] – 954-245-3839

For Future Bookings:
Kirstin Smith – Senior Sales Manager – [email protected] – 954-245-3850

Of course feel free to reach out to me with any questions in the meantime.

Once again we are looking forward to executing a flawless program for you and your attendee’s at our world class hotel located in the heart of Fort Lauderdale Beach.

B Excited!

Peter Sheppard | B Ocean Resort in Fort Lauderdale
Director of Group Sales

[ Edited by: mikehooker 2014-12-05 10:14 ]

Pages: 1 8 replies