Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

2015 San Diego Tiki Home Crawl - March 7

Pages: 1 38 replies

Aloha, San Diegans! The 2015 installment of the San Diego tiki home crawl is happening Saturday, March 7. This year's crawl will include a great mix of new homes and old favorites.

Our hosts for the 2015 home crawl are:
noon-1:00: David's The Forbidden Maya Tai
1:30-2:30: Jen's The Captain's Hidden Grotto
3:00-4:00: Harry's The Hula Hideaway
4:30-5:30: April's hale tiki
6:00-7:00: Mimi's Polynesian pu pu palace bar Lagoon Lounge

We want to make the crawl as inclusive as possible, while also ensuring that it doesn’t exceed the limits of what our hosts can accommodate. As we did last year, we'll limit the number of crawlers to 40. If you’re interested in crawling, please PM me your email address no later than January 31.

I’ll send an Evite to all interested crawlers on February 1. You will need to RSVP "yes" to the Evite in order to reserve your place on the crawl. When the crawl reaches capacity, RSVPs will be closed. Hosts' addresses will not be posted here on TC, but will be emailed to all “yes”es one week before the crawl.

(If you signed up at the Bali Hai at our Monday night meetup, you're already on the list--no need to resend me your email address.)

Note that this is a drive-yourself event, so please plan accordingly.

Big thanks in advance to all our hosts, and looking forward to crawling with you all March 7!

[ Edited by: SoCalTikiGal 2015-01-15 08:52 ]

A

Woo hoo!

P

Looking forward to it!

Cannot wait! Mitch & I had soo much fun last year and met such wonderful folks! Hoping to have our Tiki Room ready in time to open for the crawl! Motivation! yeah!!!

T

Dig it. Good times are a-coming....

Sounds amazing! Where do I sign up :wink: ?

MM

I am in!!! We had a blast last year and look forward to the next one.

T

Aloha April! We're wondering if there will be a Friday afternoon/evening hukilau somewhere? Bali Hai ?

Aloha, all! We have 5 great houses lined up for this year's home crawl. If you're interested in crawling, please see the first post in this thread for details.

Mahalo!
April

On 2015-01-11 14:50, TikiTnT wrote:
Aloha April! We're wondering if there will be a Friday afternoon/evening hukilau somewhere? Bali Hai ?

Unfortunately I'll be at a conference all day Friday for work and spending that evening prepping for my own hosting duties, so that precludes me from organizing anything for Friday. But if anyone wants to set up a get-together at the Bali Hai, I'm sure many other crawlers/hosts would be happy to stop by for a mai tai!

E

I want to get on the list to have my home tiki bar (Chula Vista)added to the crawl, Do I need to attend the meeting at Bali Hai?

E

Hello, anyone there?

Hi, tamminjoe. I don't believe any more home bars will be added for this year's tour at this point, but send a Private Message to April (SoCalTikiGal) to hopefully get on the list as a crawler.

For the Bali Hai meet-ups, we meet the first Monday of every month in the lounge. You don't have to come to the Bali Hai nights to be included on the crawl, but come on down anytime!

a Friday gathering would be great!

we were blocked out of the RSVP :( guess it reached capacity before I could respond - so bummed to miss it as last year was a blast...if anyone who RSVP'd will not be able to attend, please let me know as Mitch and I would really like to participate again this year!
[email protected]

Thanks!
Jill

TT

if anyone drops out plz let us know....thanx :)

[ Edited by: TiKi TiFfY 2015-02-08 00:53 ]

MH

I stuttered. Whoops!

[ Edited by: Miss Hell 2015-02-08 17:34 ]

MH

Please add Derek and I to the list, plus 2 guests. [email protected]

So, obviously I am way too late to this thread to get in on the fun, but I was wondering if you guys do this thing more than once a year? I'm new to the site and don't really know many people in the area and something like this seems like a decent way to meet some people. Anyway, hope you guys have a good time. It sounds pretty awesome.

Hi, all! So as some people have noted, the RSVPs did indeed fill up very quickly. Because we're in people's houses, and there are space concerns, unfortunately we do need to keep the number of crawlers to a reasonable size. I really wish this weren't the case, but I and the other hosts appreciate everyone's understanding.

Anyone in the San Diego area who is looking for other local events, be sure to come by the Bali Hai the first Monday of each month for the meetup that Tiki Slinger organizes. The TC thread is here: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=45380&forum=17&234 and the Facebook group is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/620008348012136/. It's a great opportunity to meet/hang out with the San Diego ohana!

A

If anyone is still standing after this crawl, Creepxotica is playing at Panama 66 from 7-9 pm on March 7

Sad I completely missed the RSVP. If whoever owns the place in Kensington is on the list, and doesn't mind two neighbors riding their bikes over for an hour, please drop me a line. It'd be nice to hang out with some like minded people.

P.S. Thanks for the tip on Panama 66. Anybody know if they switched to crushed ice for their Tiki drinks yet?

H

Aloha. Since I was stuck inside on this rainy Sunday, I made a sign for my bar with the new name.
It lights up! And got the drink menu together for the day....which is a surprise.
Really looking forward to this year's Home Tiki Bar Crawl!

Harry
#HulaHideaway

T

Nice looking sign there, Hairball . . . er, Harry! Did you happen to go to Mod Palm Springs last October? We hosted a room crawl on Friday night, and we made our room sign (Club 235) with foam core board and EL Wire lighting. Also made a 3' tall Moai sipping out of a coupe for inside the room. It's fun stuff to play with! See ya on the crawl!
tn't out

E
ECTiki posted on Mon, Mar 2, 2015 9:25 PM

Nice meeting everyone tonight at Bali Hai! We had a good time and are really looking forward to the crawl. Should we open the Sharkbait Bar for a day after drink or maybe an invite to the crawlers in April ?

On 2015-03-02 21:25, tamminjoe wrote:
Nice meeting everyone tonight at Bali Hai! We had a good time and are really looking forward to the crawl. Should we open the Sharkbait Bar for a day after drink or maybe an invite to the crawlers in April ?

Hope I got to meet you last night! I think 5 home bars might be plenty but I am sure many of us would love to check out your home bar anytime!

P.S. Thanks for the tip on Panama 66. Anybody know if they switched to crushed ice for their Tiki drinks yet?

Doubt it.

Fun evening last night. I am very excited to see some new home bars this Saturday!

T

Sure it's late but finally time to wind down before tomorrow's crawl. Looking forward to welcoming everyone to The Forbidden Maya Tai... Thanks once again to April for organizing the crawl!

Yes - Huge Thanks to April and all the hosts - it looks like this is going to be a spectacular day!

What a great day! Huge, huge thanks once again to all our fabulous hosts--it was so awesome experiencing your hospitality, and so inspiring to see everyone's amazing tiki spaces. I have so many ideas I want to use in my own bar!

And thank you to the wonderful crawlers, who made the crawl so much fun! I'm already looking forward to next year!

Mahalo!
April

What a day! Thanks to everyone for making it so much fun - It was great hanging out with everyone and getting to know some new folks. What a great group of people. And Thank You SO much to all our incredibly generous hosts for sharing delicious drinks, food, and your amazing homes! Who knew there were so many fantastic home bars so close by? You're really inspiring us to get our house & yard together.

Cheers & Mahalo Nui Loa!

Saw some pictures on FB...looks like you had a wonderful day. Looking forward to more pictures here on TC. CHEERS

W
Wedgie posted on Sun, Mar 8, 2015 2:57 PM

Many thanks to April and all of the hosts! This was our third home crawl and they never disappoint. I'm not the most prolific pic taker but here's a few to document the day.
The wall behind the bar at Dave's fabulous Forbidden Maya Tai Hideaway

Scott, Barbara and Elena refusing to leave the poolside bar when it was time to move on the next house.

Ted and Joni reminding April's neighbors that there's tiki mojo lurking about.

Joni between two slices of Mike

The incredible giant voodoo tiki monolith nestled behind the equally incredible Mimi's Polynesian Pu Pu Palace Bar Lagoon Lounge at Miranda and Pinch's mid-century modern house of the gods. What a final stop that was!

T

What a great day! Thanks to all the fellow hosts/ hostesses for coming together once again! It seems I didn't take any photos throughout the day, so hope to see everyone post pics here to recap a great crawl!

David / TikiAno

A

A belated thank you to all the hosts, and especially April, the organizing goddess. It was a really fun event again.

Mahalo!!! Any updates on plans for the 2016 crawl? Missed last years (made it the year before...) so want to be sure to prepared this year! Always such a great time with good people!! SailorMitch & I can't wait!!!!

A

I was hoping to have my new place ready for this year, but it ain't gonna happen. Haven't even started work on the place yet, and it's too cold currently for a wimpy SoCal guy like myself to begin. So shooting for 2017. Having said that, looking forward to a 2016 crawl.

Hello, tiki friends. Because of a number of issues (both ongoing and that have arisen in the past couple of months) I regret to say that I am not able to organize a home crawl in 2016, and I don't anticipate organizing any more in the future. I know that many people have enjoyed this event so much in past years, and I’m sorry to disappoint those who were looking forward to a crawl this year. There is someone who may be taking over beginning next year, and, if she does, I look forward to working with her to ensure this event continues--and that it does so in more capable hands than mine. In the meantime, I’d like to extend another heartfelt thanks to the amazing hosts we’ve had and to everyone else who has been involved. Mahalo.

A

Thanks April for all you have done. You started a great tradition!

Thank you very much April. You always did such a great job at planning. Emily and I always had great times with good friends and awesome memories.

Pages: 1 38 replies