Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

LH 151 replacement

Pages: 1 2 3 106 replies

E

I had the chance to pick up some of Hamilton's 151 rum at the Vine's on Sand Lake Rd in Orlando, FL. It was a pain to track it down and have it sent to them, but I got it done. I got lucky and got my hands on the original bottles before the label fiasco happen messing up the distribution. With that being said, I'm very impressed. I left the forums for awhile, so I wasn't on the stock up on LH 151 bus because I didn't know that they were stopping production until it was WAY too late. Overall, this is a excellent sub for LH 151 IMO. For me, the ultimate test for this rum in in a 151 Swizzle. It's one of my favorite drinks and it's a must order at the Mai Kai when they have LH 151, or now, Hamilton 151, if you have a chance to go.

I used the recipe from Hurricane Hayward's Mai Kai drink blog:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/08/03/mai-kai-cocktail-review-robust-flavors-and-potency-are-hallmark-of-151-swizzle/#tribute

I also have access to Kohala Bay rum as well, so that will affect the he overall taste of the drink. Long story short, it's amazing. I think it's very close in taste to using LH 151 in the drink. The flavors are all there with depth and smokiness of the Hamilton demerara rum. I think the drink made with LH is a tiny bit better, but I'm splitting hairs. I've tried the Hamilton 151 in a Jet Pilot and a Zombie and they are VERY good as well. Again, very close to the taste profile of the same drinks made with LH. It's a great sub for LH and if you have a chance I highly recommend you get some and try it for yourself.

T

I have switched from yellow label Lemon Hart 151 to the Hamilton Demerara 151 for Tiki drinks calling for overproof demerara for the last two weeks with excellent results.

Long story short, this rum is a great choice for this rum type in cocktails.

Done!

Thank you, Mr. Hamilton.

S

I wonder why LH 151 is still widely available here in Germany. Nearly every liquor online shop is able to deliver LH 151, and the prices are still the same (round about EUR 30 per bottle). However, I would be interested in knowing if Hamilton 151 will also be available in Europe in the (near?) future.

The Hamiltion 151 finally arrived in New Jersey, thanks to my local liquor store putting in a special order for me.

Made a 151 Swizzle, and my only reaction was to immediately make another. SO good - the 151 is smokey, full of rich caramel flavor, just a great tiki rum. Highly recommended.

B

Scaramouch, any chance you can share the name of your favorite liquor store in Jersey that now stocks Hamilton 151? I'm located a few minutes north of Lee's Hawaiian Islander. I have about 5 bottles of LH151 left in my stash but would like to get my mitts on the Hamilton overproof. Many thanks in advance!

You're very near me, as I live in Nutley. I got it in at Shoppers Vineyard in Clifton near the Home Depot. There were 3 bottles in store yesterday, so get it while it lasts. They special ordered it in for me, but I'm sure they'd be happy to order more for you if you want (they also ordered Coruba for me, and it came in 24 hrs - talk to Scott there, I find they are very amenable to getting in special requests)

[ Edited by: Scaramouch 2015-03-11 18:19 ]

[ Edited by: Scaramouch 2015-03-11 18:20 ]

I was at the Lei Low in Houston the other night and they had the 86 and 151 behind the bar so I was finally able to get a sampling of both. I haven't seen them on the shelves in stores yet so I assume the bar got it directly from the distributor. When can us regular folk purchase it here in Texas? And where?

FYI: The official word from Ed Hamilton is that the new batch is officially out in distribution.

The new label is up on the website:
http://www.caribbean-spirits.com/page.php?typ=91

RG

Sorry for the lack of updates but I've been swamped with hiccups with production and Demerara Distillers Limited. Hopefully all that is behind us.
Aleph in SC got their order and had stock a couple of weeks ago.
Texas distribution is now with Victory Wine Group.
Arizona is sorted out, as is Florida, IL, WI, NY, MA, WI and even OR.
If I left you out, let me know and stay tuned.
And thank you for your support.

J

On 2015-04-23 20:53, Rum guy wrote:
Aleph in SC got their order and had stock a couple of weeks ago.

Awesome! I'll get my local shop on that right away!

MH

Does anybody know if the El Dorado 151 in this new(?) packaging is a good substitute for the lemon hart 151?

I just spotted it today in Cambridge and I never seen it before. It is not in the red and white labeled bottle that I have seen before, but also have not had. Is this just a relabeling?

Mr. Ho

Pages: 1 2 3 106 replies