Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

LH 151 replacement

Pages: 1 2 3 106 replies

I haven't seen it anywhere and I checked (again) at Beverage Warehouse on Sunday. Any update on getting it into the catalogue so they can order it?

W

On 2015-01-15 18:03, finky099 wrote:
Has anyone spotted the new Hamilton Demeraras in Southern California yet? I haven't seen them at any of the usual sources (Hi Times, Landmark, even the "big boxes" Total Wine and BevMo).

I just talked to someone at Hi Times. He said as of yet they didn't have any specific information on it - pricing, etc. But he did say they certainly would be carrying it as their new Lemon Hart replacement, and that when they did get it there would be an ample supply.

RG

Ace Beverage in DC was the first retailer to put these rums on their shelf. Thanks Joe.

Hi Times should be getting their first order delivered this week as will Beverage Warehouse. In the Bay Area, Ledger's was the first to order Hamilton Demerara Rums and they have it by now. In GA, Quality Wine and Spirits has received their order.

The first Florida shipment arrives today in Miami at Vinecraft - the distributor. You'll have to ask your favorite store to order it from them. http://www.vinecraft.com/contact-us.html

Shipments arrive this week in Texas and Illinois, next week in Louisiana and Washington state.

Still working on AZ, MA, NY and NC.

On 2015-01-22 04:56, Rum guy wrote:
Ace Beverage in DC was the first retailer to put these rums on their shelf. Thanks Joe.

Hi Times should be getting their first order delivered this week as will Beverage Warehouse. In the Bay Area, Ledger's was the first to order Hamilton Demerara Rums and they have it by now. In GA, Quality Wine and Spirits has received their order.

The first Florida shipment arrives today in Miami at Vinecraft - the distributor. You'll have to ask your favorite store to order it from them. http://www.vinecraft.com/contact-us.html

Shipments arrive this week in Texas and Illinois, next week in Louisiana and Washington state.

I'm in Louisiana. So basically do I ask my local liquor store if they purchase from the LA distributor on your website, and if so, to order some?

J

On 2015-01-22 04:56, Rum guy wrote:

I'm also good with northern SC. There are a couple large liquor retailers right across the border in Fort Mill, SC. Stateline Elite and Southern Spirits. It appears their liquor laws are quite a bit easier to work around than NC.

On 2015-01-15 18:03, finky099 wrote:
Has anyone spotted the new Hamilton Demeraras in Southern California yet? I haven't seen them at any of the usual sources (Hi Times, Landmark, even the "big boxes" Total Wine and BevMo).

I just picked up a bottle of Hamilton Demerara 151 and 86 today at Hi-Time Wine Cellars in Costa Mesa. Can't wait to make my first Zombie!

I just picked up a bottle of Hamilton Demerara 151 and 86 today at Hi-Time Wine Cellars in Costa Mesa. Can't wait to make my first Zombie!

Yep looks like Both of them are on there site .. just ordered a few bottles .. I know Ed is working on getting them in AZ but I cant wait and it only take like 2 days for Hi Time to send it this way. Whoo..

RG

Beverage Warehouse should have stock by now.

The first Florida shipment arrived in Miami yesterday. It's going fast but there will be another shipment in a couple of weeks.

AZ was registered Friday, Jan 23 so expect Hamilton Demerara rums, and a bunch of other rums to be available in AZ in about two weeks. Young's Market is the AZ distributor.

NY will be selling Hamilton Demerara Rums Feb 1. Or as soon as it gets from the warehouse to retail stores.

RG

Here's a short clip from an interview I did with Jeff Berry at Latitude 29 earlier this week. I'm going to edit this and will replace it after I edit it on the plane next week. Jeff Berry talks about Hamilton Demerara Rum.

RG

In SC, Adelph Wines is the distributor but they haven't yet ordered. If you go to your local store and ask for Hamilton Demerara Rums, and the rest of my portfolio, and tell them they can order from Adelph. Every request helps pull this through the system.

As of tonight, The Mai-Kai's 151 Swizzle and Jet Pilot (among others) now feature Hamilton Demerara Overproof 151 rum. All's right with the world!

RG

Don't expect to find these rums at BevMo or Total Wines for some time, but if you ask for them in those stores it will help pull them through the dark, ugly maze of distribution.

RG

I'm in Louisiana. So basically do I ask my local liquor store if they purchase from the LA distributor on your website, and if so, to order some?

In case I haven't answered your question, yes. Asking your local store to call Lirette Selections is the best way to get some of this rum. It's in stock now but the distributor will probably run out before their next shipment arrives.

I experienced double failures today trying to get some Hamilton 151. First, I was going to order from K&L Wines in CA, but at checkout they couldn't ship to Louisiana. Then I went to my local decent liquor store today, and the person I spoke with had no idea who their distributors were. I asked to speak to the person who makes the purchases but they "won't be in till tomorrow." Whats the name of the person at a liquor store that would know who their distributors are, etc? Just the manager? Owner? Purchaser?

Well someone here, doesn't have much patience.

E

On 2015-01-24 22:35, Hurricane Hayward wrote:

As of tonight, The Mai-Kai's 151 Swizzle and Jet Pilot (among others) now feature Hamilton Demerara Overproof 151 rum. All's right with the world!

How did they compare to the LH 151 versions? I was there for the 58th anniversary and there was a slight noticeable difference with the Goslings 151. Love the blog btw!

On 2015-01-24 19:28, Rum guy wrote:
In SC, Adelph Wines is the distributor but they haven't yet ordered. If you go to your local store and ask for Hamilton Demerara Rums, and the rest of my portfolio, and tell them they can order from Adelph. Every request helps pull this through the system.

I contacted Adelph today for the second time asking that they look into ordering it and was once again told that they would have to pass my request on to a supervisor. I then called a couple of our local stores and asked that they try to order it from Adelph. The local stores at least seemed interested and said that they would get back to me with a plan.

J

On 2015-01-29 11:13, Chadwickitiki wrote:
I contacted Adelph today for the second time asking that they look into ordering it and was once again told that they would have to pass my request on to a supervisor. I then called a couple of our local stores and asked that they try to order it from Adelph. The local stores at least seemed interested and said that they would get back to me with a plan.

I'm curious which stores you contacted and what part of SC you're in. I'm across the border in Charlotte, but the Ft. Mill stores are only 25 minutes away from me.

J

I'm curious which stores you contacted and what part of SC you're in. I'm across the border in Charlotte, but the Ft. Mill stores are only 25 minutes away from me.

On 2015-01-28 18:36, enhill73 wrote:
How did they compare to the LH 151 versions? I was there for the 58th anniversary and there was a slight noticeable difference with the Goslings 151. Love the blog btw!

The difference between Hamilton 151 and Gosling's 151 was noticeable when tasting side by side, as I did with the 151 Swizzle (thanks Kern). I could only judge by memory on the other drinks I tried (Zombie, Shrunken Skull, Jet Pilot). But it's certainly an improvement in all of those. More research will be conducted and posted over on the Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide thread: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=47293&forum=10&start=60
(I'm also working on a major update for the blog. Mahalo for checking it out.)

The bigger question (which is being discussed over on this thread: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=47455&forum=10&start=240 ) is how do the Hamilton rums compare to Lemon Hart. Tonight, I compared two Mai-Kai Zombie tributes using Hamilton 151 and the red label Lemon Hart ...

The flavor profile is certainly in the same ballpark. Same smokiness and complexity, but I feel the Hamilton rum seems to pack a harder punch, while the Lemon Hart 151 is just a bit mellower. The yellow label Lemon Hart is considered superior, so that may win out in a battle royale. But I would judge Hamilton vs. Lemon Hart red label as a toss-up, depending on your preference. I would assume the folks here would prefer the more in-your-face flavor of Hamilton.

J

On 2015-01-24 19:28, Rum guy wrote:

I put in a request at Southern Spirits in Fort Mill, SC on Saturday. The buyer called Adelph on the spot, but of course Adelph doesn't have it yet. Hopefully others will request it too, so we can get some without paying for shipping.

ET

Any chance of the Hamilton 151 in Ontario, Canada?

AF

While I haven't sampled the Hamilton 151 I purchased yet, a few of us had an impromptu Demerara Rum tasting at the TIKI TI last Friday evening which included Hamilton 86. We sampled the original yellow label Lemon Hart 80, Skipper (cause it was available) and Hamilton. The original LH 80 was the benchmark, the Skipper surprised us a little bit with it's darker color and flavor and the Hamilton 86 blew us away.

It's color is almost a match to the LH 80 and it's taste & smoothness are remarkable. Could this finally be the Demerara Rum we've been hoping for? We couldn't wait to taste some more so we asked Mike if would mix up a couple of Scorpions and a Lemon Head with Ed's new entry. He gladly did and Land Ho! Everyone agreed, it simply works like a charm!

Here's Charlie with what he dubbed a "Hamil-Head" (he didn't like "Lem-ilton" as much)...

And the one and only Dusty Cajun enjoying a tasty Scorpion with Hamilton Demerara!

Congrats Ed, indeed a very good Rum for your money!

K
kkocka posted on Tue, Feb 3, 2015 6:11 PM

On 2015-02-03 16:01, A Frame wrote:
a few of us had an impromptu Demerara Rum tasting at the TIKI TI last Friday evening

Aha, so that was you guys that I saw a photo of on the Ti's Facebook page.

Look at Dusty all respectable & everything!

AF

On 2015-02-03 18:11, kkocka wrote:

a few of us had an impromptu Demerara Rum tasting at the TIKI TI last Friday evening

Aha, so that was you guys that I saw a photo of on the Ti's Facebook page.

Guilty as charged...and I should have used the word 'Regal' ATP!

That was some fun rum tasting, thanks A-Frame. The "new" Lemon Hart is here!

DC

On 2015-01-29 12:46, JenTiki wrote:

I live in Charleston and contacted Bottles in My Pleasant and two smaller independent stores in Charleston. Nothing back from any of them yet.

RG

Thanks for the review, but it looks like even though this rum was made by DDL, I'm not going to be able to use the word DEMERARA on the label, I'm printing stickers to cover that word and sending them to my distributors to put on their bottles.

As for the rum, I have spent years working to find a blend I could put my name on and I'm glad you enjoy drinking it as much as I have enjoyed the journey so far. But this journey is far from over.

I'm trying to keep with the latest events on the Ministry of Rum site. Here's a link to the thread about the trials and tribulations I'm having to endure in order to continue to bottle these rums.

The good news is that although I won't be able to call this Demerara rum even though it was made by Demerara Distillers Limited and they, through their attorneys, are trying to dissuade me from disclosing the name of the distillery on the back label you will definitely recognize the new label.

Unfortunately, I've had to remove any mention on my websites or websites I control from showing my old label, but I don't control this website. . .

I'll post more when the dust settles in Guyana. No that's not like when pigs fly or hell freezes over, the rainier season is coming and the dust will be settling soon.

As for availability, the next shipment is on the water and should be close to my warehouse by the end of the month.

[ Edited by: Rum guy 2015-02-05 16:22 ]

RG

While I haven't sampled the Hamilton 151 I purchased yet, a few of us had an impromptu Demerara Rum tasting at the TIKI TI last Friday evening which included Hamilton 86. We sampled the original yellow label Lemon Hart 80, Skipper (cause it was available) and Hamilton. The original LH 80 was the benchmark, the Skipper surprised us a little bit with it's darker color and flavor and the Hamilton 86 blew us away.

It's color is almost a match to the LH 80 and it's taste & smoothness are remarkable. Could this finally be the Demerara Rum we've been hoping for? We couldn't wait to taste some more so we asked Mike if would mix up a couple of Scorpions and a Lemon Head with Ed's new entry. He gladly did and Land Ho! Everyone agreed, it simply works like a charm!

Here's Charlie with what he dubbed a "Hamil-Head" (he didn't like "Lem-ilton" as much)...

And the one and only Dusty Cajun enjoying a tasty Scorpion with Hamilton Demerara!

Thanks for the kind review, I'm jealous I wasn't there. I know about impromptu tastings. Glad you like the rum. There's more to come.
In the meantime, please refer to this rum as Hamilton 151, I'm catching some trouble for using the word 'DEMERARA', the labels being changed and present stock is on hold in distribution.

[ Edited by: Rum guy 2015-02-05 17:28 ]

RG

I don't see a way to delete an apparent duplicate post.

[ Edited by: Rum guy 2015-02-05 17:32 ]

On 2015-02-05 17:29, Rum guy wrote:
I don't see a way to delete an apparent duplicate post.

[ Edited by: Rum guy 2015-02-05 17:32 ]

Only way to do it, is send us a bottle of rum, yup!

J

Ed, I think you can only delete a post within something like the first hour (maybe less) after you post it. Otherwise, you can just edit to say something like "erroneous duplicate post." I sometimes have problems with duplicates on this site as well.

H

Today at Beverage Warehouse (near Marina Del Rey) I picked up a bottle of the Hamilton Demerara 151.

They have more. As you can see, the word Demerara is still exposed. Get it while you can!

If you're looking for the 86 proof Hamilton Demerara, I was told they haven't ordered any yet. Once enough people show an interest in purchasing the 86 proof Hamilton, maybe they'll get some in. So please be sure to ask them about it.

http://www.beveragewarehouse.com/

935 Mc Connell Ave #21, Los Angeles, CA 90066
(310) 306-2822

T

I was at Latitude 29 yesterday (and the day before that and the day before that :wink:) and shared a Kapu Kai - made with Hamilton Demerara 151 - with Beachbum Berry and Gina of the jungle.

We all agreed it was quite tasty!

Test #2 for me is a float in a Mai Tai, which I am sipping on right now at home. It's excellent! (Wait! Just took another sip - it's really really excellent!) I am very impressed with this new rum and looking forward to my next try, which will be in a Jet Pilot.

No, it's not just like Lemon Hart 151. It's drier, which IMHO is just fine.

To Ed Hamilton: I hope that your Demerara label red tape from DDL is a bump that you can get over as painlessly as possible. Thanks for the rum!

Jack

W
wupput posted on Fri, Feb 6, 2015 5:39 PM

Picked up 2 bottles of the 86 and 2 of the 151 at Hi Time, Costa Mesa. They had been holding it for me for a week and wife dropped by to grab it so I can't be sure if there are any still on the shelf. They still said Demerara on them!

[ Edited by: wupput 2015-02-06 17:39 ]

T

The Jet Pilot - made with Hamilton Demerara 151 - is killing. I think I may even prefer it to the original made with yellow label LH 151.

I used Hamilton Jamaican in there as well (as I did in the Mai Tai). The Puerto Rican rum is my go to, Ron del Barrillito 3 Star, another endangered or extinct rum. It's crazy how the good stuff can sink in this ocean of poor to mediocre product. You have to be a hoarder to keep your home bar up to snuff.

I'm not even going to worry about a 1934 Zombie. I know that will work.

Cheers!

Jack

TT

I just ordered 2 bottles of Hamilton 151 from Hi-Time Wine Cellars online. They also had the lower proof version. I was working something with the distributor locally, but they weren't following up with me. Looking forward to trying both the Jet Pilot and 151 Swizzle. I will give my feedback next weekend.

TT

On 2015-02-05 16:20, Rum guy wrote:
Thanks for the review, but it looks like even though this rum was made by DDL, I'm not going to be able to use the word DEMERARA on the label, I'm printing stickers to cover that word and sending them to my distributors to put on their bottles.
[ Edited by: Rum guy 2015-02-05 16:22 ]

Maybe you use stickers that come off easy...wink, wink, nudge, nudge

Fantastic! Less than two months since its initial launch, and we can already anticipate spirited debates about which is better - "original label" Hamilton 151 or "new label" Hamilton 151. :)

AF

On 2015-02-05 17:24, Rum guy wrote:

Thanks for the kind review, I'm jealous I wasn't there. I know about impromptu tastings. Glad you like the rum. There's more to come.
In the meantime, please refer to this rum as Hamilton 151, I'm catching some trouble for using the word 'DEMERARA', the labels being changed and present stock is on hold in distribution.

[ Edited by: Rum guy 2015-02-05 17:28 ]

You're welcome and it is noted Rum Guy. Henceforth, it'll be Hamilton 86 or 151!

RG

I have ordered stickers to go on every bottle that has been shipped to date. The remaining inventory at distributors is being held until they receive the stickers.

I look forward to getting this behind me and see this as a pain but one of the trials and tribulations of building a brand.

With a bit of luck this will be resolved in a few weeks.

I'm doing a rum talk tomorrow at the Tonga Hut in Hollywood and will explain more then about what is happening.

[ Edited by: Rum guy 2015-02-07 22:50 ]

I picked up two bottles at Beverage Warehouse on Saturday and they still had a few left, no stickers in sight.

[ Edited by: The Below Decks 2015-02-09 10:39 ]

God damn I'm so jealous!!!

Got to try the Hamilton's "Demerara" and 151 last night at Coin-Op Gameroom in North PArk (SD).

Just had some small tasters, but it was tasty! Very flavorful. It made me excited to sample them back to back and to try them in drinks. Hopefully I will have some bottles by this weekend.

Happily my 2 bottles of Hamilton 151 (collectors edition label) arrived today. I did a straight comparison with LH 151 new label. I'm in agreement with others that have compared the two. Both have great flavor...both have the smokey texture. LH 151 is a little more mellow than H 151. In my opinion the H 151 is the best substitute out there for Lemon Hart. Regardless of the comparison Hamilton 151 stands on its own as a great rum.

I look forward to using it this weekend in a Zombie (1934), Jet Pilot and 151 Swizzle. Next week I'll be at the Mai Kai for another taste test. (I'm lucky to have business in Ft Lauderdale that gets me there once a month)

T

I received my order of both the 151 and the 86 from Hi Times. I've only dug into the 86 so forgive me for going off topic here. I want to try a side by side comparison of LH 80 & the Hamiltons 86 (I still have some LH 151 at home, but no 80) to truly see the difference. Since the Bali Hai in San Diego still has Lemonhart, I'll have to do a run down there with a flask for some scientific testing.

For those in San Diego, Keg & Bottle on El Cajon Blvd got a shipment in of Hamiltons- I had called to check in if they had it- they told me it was going to be delivered last Friday but would hold me a bottle. They told me a certain price. When I got there on Saturday, the price of each bottle had gone up $10 for the 86, and $15 (or $20) for the 151. Lame. Even with shipping, Hi Times was over $25 less for one bottle of 151 and one bottle of 86.

W

I have probably had Lemon Hart overproof in drinks, probably over the years at Tiki Ti, but I've never had a bottle at home to mix with.

Last night I made up a Hart of Darkness from Remixed using the Hamilton (no-longer-called) Demerara 151. I made it to spec though probably a tiny bit less honey (I have a strong organic kind) and a little bit more passion fruit syrup since I had just cooked some up.

I found this to be an EXCELLENT drink. The first few sips were a bit on the strong side, with the harshness of the overproof obliterating all else. But as the ice started to melt and I continued sipping I found it a great drink - strong, sweet but not to sweet, nicely balanced. And rather immediately intoxicating, which is generally a plus.

Now if I could only find just one, ONE bottle of Lemon Hart 151 to do a comparison. If anybody has both rums I think this drink would be a good way of teasing out some of the subtle differences.

Pages: 1 2 3 106 replies