Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Rum choices: head to head battle

Pages: 1 18 replies

K

I thought this might be a good idea: given that I am constantly browsing for rums to purchase and want to try new things, how about a head to head or "versus" thread where people can ask for thoughts and opinions between buying one or the other? Often we instinctively go for "old reliable" when maybe there is something better out there, or if not better then certainly something interesting and worth the shot. For instance:

I'm finally nearly out of my Bacardi 151 and wish to never return there again. I of course have Lemon Hart 151 in stock but I need another amber overproof and am deciding between:

Cruzan 151 vs El Dorado 151

I don't have any taste experience with either. I trust Cruzan as they have solid white and gold aged rums, but El Dorado is likewise pretty respectable. Thoughts?

El Dorado makes an amber overproof? I've only ever seen a white one.

I assume it is the ED white 151 in question, which makes it at least a bit of an apples to oranges comparison.

Cruzan is my standby 151 when I am looking for an octane bump but not the intense flavor of Lemon Hart or even Gosling's 151. In particular, I go through a good bit of Cruzan 151 when I make Watermelon Rumrunners on summer holiday weekends.

On its own Cruzan 151 is of course no great shakes, but it is substantially better than Bacardi. I have not tasted the ED 151 on its own, but I have been served a high-test rum punch that used it as a combination rum and it worked. I doubt it has the kind of distinct character as J Wray which I am quite fond of.

K

On 2014-12-27 17:25, Sunny&Rummy wrote:
I assume it is the ED white 151 in question, which makes it at least a bit of an apples to oranges comparison.

Ah yes, my mistake - upon revisiting, it IS a white. You get my point though. It sounds like I'll give Cruzan a shot in that at least its not Bacardi.

W

What would you think about an A/B test of El Dorado 5 vs. Hamilton's 86?

K

That's a good question - I'm guessing that the Ed 5 would be too tame to give an accurate comparison. Would the 8 be a bit more dense/potent or a better rum to compare against the Hamilton? I know some people (Jeff Berry) will sip the Hamiltion 86, but I don't see him doing that w/an El Dorado 5 or 8...so would ED12/15 be better? I haven't got my hands on any of the new Hamilton rums yet so I unfortunatley can't give any personal input.

I think you would have to compare the ED 15 to the Hamiltons. ED 5 is not going to be even close.

W

Guess I'll have to pick up a bottle of the 12. I've sipped the Hamilton 86. I thought it was superb. A little strong for a sipping rum but keeping it nice and slow it was very enjoyable.

Question for 151 rum aficianados: I'm working my way through the drinks in "Liquid Vacation" (the book from Frankie's Tiki Room) and noting that the author calls for Hana Bay 151 in several recipes. I don't think Hana Bay is distributed in my state (Michigan) - at least, I haven't seen it anywhere. I usually like to try every recipe the right way before I make substitutions - but is Hana Bay worth the web search and the extra cost of shipping? Anything unique about it? Or should I settle for Bacardi or Cruzan?

On 2015-02-16 19:55, Banana Bill wrote:
Question for 151 rum aficianados: I'm working my way through the drinks in "Liquid Vacation" (the book from Frankie's Tiki Room) and noting that the author calls for Hana Bay 151 in several recipes. I don't think Hana Bay is distributed in my state (Michigan) - at least, I haven't seen it anywhere. I usually like to try every recipe the right way before I make substitutions - but is Hana Bay worth the web search and the extra cost of shipping? Anything unique about it? Or should I settle for Bacardi or Cruzan?

Yes, just substitute it with Bacardi or Cruzan. You won't be missing anything in my opinion.

On 2015-02-16 23:28, lunavideogames wrote:
Yes, just substitute it with Bacardi or Cruzan. You won't be missing anything in my opinion.

Is Hana Bay that bad, that Bacardi is an acceptable substitute? To that end, what about the other Hana Bay Rums: dark, gold, and light?

Loki, I have never owned a bottle of Hana Bay, I was just assuming it to be your typical rail rum, so anything would work without too much degradation to the recipe. Also I believe most are floated in these recipes so they are small portions of the recipe.

I don't know for sure but for a place with such a high turnover like Franike's, I wouldn't expect them to use an expensive 151.

K

On 2015-02-17 12:50, lunavideogames wrote:
I don't know for sure but for a place with such a high turnover like Franike's, I wouldn't expect them to use an expensive 151.

That was my thought as well, despite never having been at Frankie's. I'd suggest at least the Cruzan 151 over the Bacardi at least. I've recently had interest in Plantation 151 but I'd believe that's a bit better than Cruzan.

I think we have seen a handful of new 151's enter the market in the past couple years. There was a time when my local ABC stores only carried the Bacardi 151. This past Sunday I saw four different 151's on the shelf, including Bacardi and Cruzan. Can't remember the other two. I'll have to see what my local Total Wine sells.

I taste-tested a handful of 151s with a friend at my home bar about 6 months ago. I'm a little more careful with my comments about Bacardi now. My taste tests were casual, but I noticed that while they're not the best, they may not necessarily be at the bottom either. But it was a pretty casual test involving full-strength room-temperature tastes. My mouth was a bit tender afterwards. It was an interesting experience.

On 2015-02-17 13:17, kkocka wrote:

On 2015-02-17 12:50, lunavideogames wrote:

That was my thought as well, despite never having been at Frankie's. I'd suggest at least the Cruzan 151 over the Bacardi at least. I've recently had interest in Plantation 151 but I'd believe that's a bit better than Cruzan.

Thanks for the responses, guys. Further research reveals that Bacardi does not have a lot of fans, so I will be seeking out the Plantation (if I can find it) or Cruzan, per your suggestions. Frankly, haven't given 151 much thought until now. I got my tiki education out of Beachbum Berry Remixed, where you rarely reach for anything but Lemon Hart ... unless you just want to light your volcano.

W

Head to head: Goslings Black Seal vs. Cruzan Blackstrap

Format, 1 oz rum, few ounces Barrits ginger beer, ice. Blind taste test.

All eligible members of my household preferred the Cruzan Blackstrap. That funky sweet molasses flavor cuts through the ginger beer beautifully. I don't even want to put lime in it because I want every note of the blackstrap to come through.

The Goslings was excellent too of course. And in case any lawyers are reading this, only Goslings can be used in a real dark n stormy of course! This is some mutant offspring.

S

I read somewhere once that there's Dark 'n' Stormy and the other one is Dark 'and' Stormy. I can't remember which name pertains to Goslings, but if you make one with another rum then it must be called the other one.

On 2015-03-27 22:37, swizzle wrote:
I read somewhere once that there's Dark 'n' Stormy and the other one is Dark 'and' Stormy. I can't remember which name pertains to Goslings, but if you make one with another rum then it must be called the other one.

Watta memory you have Robbie! "Dark ’N Stormy” and the recipe are trademarked by Gosling Bros.
Btw, your art is incredible.

S

I had a feeling it was with the 'N' that belonged to Goslings but didn't want to say that in case i was wrong. And thanks for the kudos on my work. Hopefully i'll see you in August.

Pages: 1 18 replies