Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Pacific Worlds-Oakland Museum of California MAY 30, 2015 TO JAN 10, 2016

Pages: 1 5 replies

http://www.ppie100.org/event/pacific-worlds/

Pacific Worlds, a new major exhibition at the OAKLAND MUSEUM OF CALIFORNIA, explores California’s historical and contemporary place in the Pacific region, through rarely-seen objects from the Pacific Islands. One hundred years after the 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition (PPIE), the exhibition re-envisions California as “the East Coast of the Pacific,” taking over OMCA’s Great Hall with interactive, multi-faceted experiences. Pacific Worlds turns the familiar idea of California as the western frontier on its head, examining the deep and rich history of this region’s interactions with the Pacific, and exploring the on-going connections and intersecting experiences of Pacific Islanders and Native Hawaiians, along with Filipinos, Native Californians, and American collectors, colonists, and audiences. Weaving together pieces from the Museum’s collections with interactive media, visitor contributions, and contemporary California Pacific Islander artwork and community voices, Pacific Worlds presents Californian identity as tied to and shaped by the histories, peoples, and geography of the Pacific Islands.

Bump

Thanks for posting this. I'm really looking forward to checking it out. FYI- On Fridays they also have a bunch of food trucks outside and admission is half price.

This looks awesome!! I'm going to have to hit it up on a weekend
and then head on over to Longitude for a painkiller. Thanks for
the heads up!

W

Woah, cool. I'll have to check it out.

and American collectors, colonists, and audiences. Weaving together pieces from the Museum’s collections with interactive media,

solitaire

[ Edited by: iiqjohnwic 2015-11-25 01:45 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies