Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 1-7-15 My Wife's Birthday!

Pages: 1 0 replies

DZ

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: January 7, 2015

On this week’s show celebrated the birthday of my canonical wife, the beauteous and talented Elinor, who has blessed my existence with her love and showered my life with her beneficence for more than a dozen years now, and who was born on the Capricornish day of January 11.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm EDT at: http://www.radiofairfax.org The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Makanani,” composed by Henry Machado Sr. and Helena Kalokuokamaile Salazar sung by Owana Ka’ohelelani Salazar on her 1986 recording titled Owana, with Alan Akaka on Steel Guitar and Al Ka’ai on Slack-Key Guitar.

2. “The Way You Look Tonight,” written by Jerome Kern for the 1936 Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers movie: Swing Time, sung here by Fred on his 1952 pedal nostalgia LP: Steppin’ Out – Astaire Sings, with Oscar Peterson on Piano, Charlie Shavers on Trumpet, Flip Phillips on Tenor Sax, Barney Kessel on Electric Guitar, Ray Brown on Bass and Alvin Stoller on Drums.

3. “Bang Goes the Drum (And You’re in Love)” from Blossom Dearie’s 1957 loquacious LP: Give Him the Ooh-La-La, featuring Ms. Dearie on Vocal and Piano, Herb Ellis on Electric Guitar; Ray Brown on Bass; and Jo Jones on Drums.

4. “The Squirrel,” composed and recorded in 1947 by the Pianist Tadd Dameron with Fats Navarro on Trumpet, Ernie Henry on Alto Sax, Charlie Rouse on Tenor Sax, Nelson Boyd on Bass and Shadow Wilson on Drums, taken from the Bulging Box Set: The Fats Navarro Story.

5. “The Moon of Manakoora,” written by Frank Loesser and Alfred Newman for the 1937 Dorothy Lamour movie: The Hurricane (although she didn’t sing it in the movie), recorded by her in 1943 with Dick McIntyre & His Harmony Hawaiians and found of the sarong-wrapped CD: Dorothy Lamour -- Queen of the Hollywood Islands.

6. “Three Little Words,” the 1930 song by Harry Ruby and Bert Kalmar recorded in 1947 by Mel Torme and included on his rapturous retrospective: Sounds of the 20th Century – Love Me or Leave Me, with the Dave Barbour Four, including Barbour, who was Peggy Lee’s husband, on Electric Guitar.

7. “Murmullo” from the original Buena Vista Social Club Album, featuring the talents of Ibrahim Ferrer on Vocal, Ruben Gonzalez on Piano, Ry Cooder on Steel Guitar, Orlando “Cachaito” Lopez on Bass, Lazaro Villa on Congas, Joachim Cooder on Udu Drum and Alberto Valdes on Maracas.

8. “Just Tell Me” by Toots and the Maytals from the six-CD set: Reggae – The Definitive Collection: Songs of Freedom.

9. The Tom T. Hall classic composition: “I Love (Little Baby Ducks)” performed by The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain on their sumptuous CD: Still Live, with David Suich, Peter Brooke Turner, Hester Goodman, George Hinchliffe, Richie Williams, Kitty Lux, Will Grove-White on Ukuleles and Jonty Bankes on Bass.

10. “Day In, Day Out,” the 1939 song by Rube Bloom and Johnny Mercer, taken from the 1955 labial LP: Bobby Troup Sings Troup, Mercer and More, featuring Mr. Troup on Vocal and Piano, Bob Enevoldsen on Valve Trombone, Howard Roberts on Electric Guitar, Red Mitchell on Bass and Don Heath on Drums.

11. “I Only Have Eyes for You,” composed by Harry Warren and Al Dubin for the 1934 Dick Powell and Ruby Keeler movie: Dames, from the 1959 LP When You’re Away, spotlighting Carmen McRae on Vocal with Don Abney on Piano, Joe Benjamin on Bass and Charles Smith on Drums, found on the combustive CD collection: Carmen McRae -- The Complete Kapp Recordings.

12. “Capri,” which was originally named “Eleanor” by the composer Gigi Gryce in honor of his wife, performed in 1953 by the J.J. Johnson Sextet: with Johnson on Trombone, Clifford Brown on Trumpet, Jimmy Heath on Tenor Sax, John Lewis on Piano, Percy Heath on Bass and Kenny Clarke on Drums, featured on the reliquarious retrospective: Brownie Speaks – A Proper Introduction to Clifford Brown.

13. “Estrada Branca (This Happy Madness),” written by Antonio Carlos Jobim, Vinicius de Moraes and Gene Lees, and sung by Karrin Allyson on her carioca compact disc: Imagina – Songs of Brasil, with Gil Goldstein on Piano, David Finck on Bass and Todd Strait on Drums.

14. “The Very Thought of You,” the 1934 Song composed by Ray Noble and sung by Kurt Elling on his superlative CD: This Time It’s Love, accompanied by Laurence Hobgood on Piano and Bob Amster on Bass.

Pages: 1 0 replies