Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

ebay information verification check?

Pages: 1 13 replies

I recieved an email from ebay this weekend looking to verify personal information. That includes credit card stuff and banking stuff(!?!) (even pin numbers!?!?!)

I seem to remember signing up for ebay 3 years back, you didn't need anything but an email address, and a password. Does anybody know anything about this? Has anyone else gotten one?

Here's an Ebay announcement regarding the recent scam e-mails:

Protect Yourself From Spoof Emails
Date: 07/21/03 Time: 03:07:17 PM PDT

Some community members have received deceptive emails claiming to come from eBay. Fraudsters who send these emails hope that recipients will reply or click on a link contained in the email and then provide personal information (i.e., eBay passwords, social security numbers and credit card numbers). We refer to these emails as “Spoof Emails.”

We encourage you to be cautious when responding to any email request for personal information. Remember, if you are ever asked to provide information to eBay, you can simply open a new browser, type http://www.ebay.com, sign-in, and use the Site Map to navigate the site.

You can also take a few simple steps to protect your account and prevent senders of spoof emails from doing harm:

1.Be sure you are on an eBay page – It is generally not a good idea to click on links in an email. However, if you do, be sure that you are signing into a genuine eBay web site by looking at the address/location area of your browser. At an eBay.com sign-in or log-in page, the URL (link) that appears in the address/location area of your browser will begin with "http://cgi.ebay.com/","https://scgi.ebay.com/" or "http://signin.ebay.com/". Please pay close attention to all characters in the address, including the forward slash (/) that follows "ebay.com". Even if the address/location includes the word "ebay", it may not be a genuine eBay web site.

1. Report Fraudulent Email -- If you have any doubt whether an email is from eBay, use your email client’s “forward” feature to forward a copy of it to [email protected] immediately with full header information, if possible. If you have already replied to the fraudulent email, contact your bank and/or credit card companies immediately to prevent identity theft.

2. Check Your Account – eBay recommends checking your My eBay and Account Preferences periodically to ensure that no one has tampered with your account.

Your vigilance helps us ensure that eBay remains a safe and vibrant online marketplace. For more information on how to protect your eBay password and your account, please visit the eBay Security Center. You can access the Security Center by clicking on Help from the Navigation Bar at the top of every eBay page, then clicking on the "Security Center" link.

Regards,
eBay

Also, never use an e-mail embedded link to go to a site for updating secure information. Always go to your browser to access your account.

Inky~

If your ebay name is the same as your email address, then you will get lots of spam 'n scam emails.

Change your ebay name (only if it's the same as your email address). If it's not, ignore it and block that incoming address if possible.

WOW! That email looked so realistic! These guys are real jerks! I am glad I didn't respond. FYI...My ebay id is completely different than any email addresses.

Thanks so much for the info, everybody....I forwarded the email to that link.

I knew you guys would know what to do.

Be careful, I get many similar emails claiming to be from differnt sources: eBay, PalPay, amazon, etc. they are all very slick looking.

I received the same email last week---fortunately there had been an earlier thread a few months back on this issue, so I didn't respond. When I forwarded the mail to Ebay, they confirmed that it wasn't authentic. (I considered responding with the bogus password "bite-me"). :)
SB

C

Here's something suspicious that I received today:

Dear AOL Member,
There has been a purchase added to your AOL account on September 15, 2003. This purchase took place at 1-800-Flowers.com.
If this order was unauthorized and you would like to cancel, please Click Here.
Below is listed information about your order:

Product - Love's Embrace Roses

32 dozen long stem red roses
Price - $29.99
Shipment Type - 3-5 Day Ground
Shipping and Handling - $7.99
Total Price - $37.98

It seems ridiculous, but I don't know what marketing partnerships eBay has and if some genius marketing dolt actually made this possible. When I went to the site through AOL, I did not find anything. I forwarded the email to [email protected] as recommended.

Grrrr.....

32 dozen long stem red roses
Price - $29.99 ???????
Hell, Where do I go for this deal?

C

Is the Pay Pal verification legit?
My account requested banking information before it would let me process my order for Tiki Quest.
It's safe to add banking information to Pay Pal, right?
I still have not confirmed my bank account info, though. In case it's a scam

D

I have also recieved emails from someone posing as both Ebay and Paypal asking for personal information, I just ignored them not knowing who to report the problem to. I am still concerned about it though. :-?

T

I also received one of these emails, and I reported it to [email protected]

The more people that report these scams the better chance they may catch someone.

I too received the email from "eBay". It wasn't legit, so I reported it.

Its nice to see the Tiki culture look out for one another!

Aloha!

C

On 2003-09-16 13:53, Chacha wrote:
Is the Pay Pal verification legit?
My account requested banking information before it would let me process my order for Tiki Quest.
It's safe to add banking information to Pay Pal, right?

If you are talking about ordering by clicking on the Tiki Quest link at the top of our forum board, that is legitimate and I will be ordering my copy soon!

Pages: 1 13 replies