Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

PLease Help Identify These Wall Plaques.

Pages: 1 9 replies

U

The first plaque is bluish green and about 14 inches long. It is some type of composition. The warrior's body and shield seem African to me but the face is reminiscent of a Kon-Tiki mug.

The second two are made of plaster. The blue Moai is about 13 inches long. They seem to me to have a Shag quality about them.

None of the pieces are signed or marked in any way.

Any help in identifying them would be appreciated.

The top figure is based on an African warrior.

Never seen these before, but they are really cool because they are such modernist stylization of primitive art!

U

BBT

Glad you like them. I was beginning to think I was the only one.

T

Whoa! Those masks are fantastic! Great addition to your collection! I feel like I've seen the one on the bottom left, maybe the image is from an exotica record cover I have. I'll have to check....anyway very cool!

I like all three of them a lot. The oval one on the right with 2 was made by Richter Artcraft of Toledo in the late 1950s-1960s. I bet all three are Richter. I have seen a set of 4 of the skinny sliver ones on eBay in the last year. If you google the company there is a AOL Answers posting that says "William L. Breyfogle and his business partner Theodore Richter founded Richter Artcraft Co. in 1950 in Toledo, OH. Bill and Ted were friends in high school from which they both graduated in 1941. The company peaked in the years between 1956 through 1967 selling nationwide with the help of major accounts including Sears Roebuck. The company also did a fair amount of export business. One of more popular items for export and well as domestic sale was the Zulu Booboo which was a free-standing African native god of fertility that was about 7" tall.
Casting primarily in plaster in the early years, they switched to polyurethane foam (PF) which made for a much lighter and durable product. In addition to plaster or PF plaques, they also employed a vacuum-forming process that typically resulted in a three-dimensional framed piece that projected out from the canvas.
The company closed for business in 1970 as the popularity for this type of artwork fell off dramatically."

Here's two more Richter tikis. I actually won these two on eBay and can'y wait for them to arrive!

U

Tuma, I knew someone would recognize these. Thanks for the info.

GREAT info, thanks, Tumatauenga! I did not know about Richter Artcraft! I made this sarcastic post about a Richter Tiki that I bought from ATP at the ITMP a while ago:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35542&forum=2&vpost=671634

I also found these thin plastic vacu-form Tikis on e-bay recently that I bet are Richter:

They follow the same principle of propping the head of one Tiki on another's body (!), (in order to not be straight rip-offs?), resulting in totally odd "Frankenstein" Tikis :):

While on the above on the left we have Disney's Hina head with quite an unfitting body, on the right we have the famous authentic Tahitian Tangaroa BODY with a generic Tiki Pop head!:

Here's the INSIDE of one (giving that weird inside/out 3D "Jesus miracle eyes" effect):

They have no markings on them anywhere, but the odd design makes them likely to be Richters, I would say.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2015-02-05 00:27 ]

See Sven, you got a great deal!

Pages: 1 9 replies