Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 1-21-15 Jimmy Van Heusen

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: January 21, 2015

On this week’s show we celebrated the life and works of Jimmy Van Heusen, who contributed some of the most delightful tunes to grace the Mid-Century scene. Born on January 26, 1913 with the name Edward Chester Babcock, at age 16 he changed it to the name of the famous shirtmaker when he began performing on radio. His songs have appeared in over 180 movies -- four of them winning Oscars. He penned a total of more than 800 songs, 50 considered standards.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm EDT at: http://www.radiofairfax.org The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Moonlight Becomes You” was written by Van Heusen and his frequent songwriting collaborator Johnny Burke for the 1942 movie: Road to Morocco, performed by Bing Crosby accompanied by John Scott Trotter & His Orchestra and taken from Der Bingles basking Box Set: Easy to Remember.

2. “Darn That Dream,” with lyrics by Eddie DeLange, came from the 1933 Broadway musical: Swingin’ the Dream and this version was sung by Mildred Bailey with the Benny Goodman Orchestra, featuring Mr. Goodman on Clarinet, found on the tipsy and timely treasury titled: Mildred Bailey – Cocktail Hour Series.

3. “Here's That Rainy Day,” was composed by Johnny Burke and Van Heusen in 1953 for the Broadway musical: Carnival in Flanders, and was waxed by David Grisman on Mandolin and Martin Taylor on Acoustic Guitar for their 1995 magnum opus: Tone Poems II.

4. Another Burke and Van Heusen classic, “Swinging on a Star,” the Academy Award-winning song from the 1944 Bing Crosby movie: Going My Way, was found on the 1957 exuberant album: Joy Bryan Sings, with the Marty Paich Septet, including Mr. Paich on arrangements and Piano, sometime television actor Jack Sheldon on Trumpet, Bob Enevoldsen on Clarinet, Bass Clarinet and Trombone, Herb Geller on Clarinet and Alto Sax, Ronny Lang on Clarinet, Alto and Baritone Sax, Red Mitchell on Bass and Mel Lewis on Drums.

5. “Oh, You Crazy Moon,” also by the team of Johnny Burke and Jimmy Van Heusen, was recorded in 1960 by Mel Torme with Russell Garcia’s Orchestra for his pendulous LP: Swingin’ on the Moon.

6. “Boy's Night Out” was written by Van Heusen and lyricist Sammy Cahn for the 1962 Kim Novak and James Garner movie of the same name, and was recorded in 1963 by the master arranger and exotica composer Les Baxter for his honorific album: The Academy Award Winners.

7. Dorothy Lamour and Fred MacMurray introduced this Burke and Van Heusen song titled: “It Could Happen to You” in the 1944 musical comedy movie: And The Angels Sing, and this version was waxed by the determinative Bob Dorough on Vocal and piano from his 1956 lubricious LP: Devil May Care, with Warren Fitzgerald on Trumpet, Jack Hitchcock on Vibes, Bill Takas on Bass and Jerry Segal on Drums, finally found on the righteous retrospective: The Devil’s Best Tunes – The Beatnik Scat of Bob Dorough.

8. “I Thought About You,” the 1939 song by Johnny Mercer and Jimmy Van Heusen, recorded in 1957 by Ella Fitzgerald for her l’amourous LP: Like Someone in Love, featuring Stan Getz on Tenor Sax.

9. “Call Me Irresponsible,” originally written by Jimmy Van Heusen and Sammy Cahn for Judy Garland, who sang it on her TV show, this version was recorded by Dinah Washington in 1964 and can be heard on her copious collection: The Best of the Roulette Years.

10. “Come Dance With Me,” the 1959 song by Sammy Cahn and Van Heusen, recorded in Paris in 1959 for the eloquent LP: A Jazz Portrait of Frank Sinatra by the Oscar Peterson Trio, with Mr. Peterson on Piano, Ray Brown on String Bass, and Ed Thigpen on Drums.

11. “Like Someone in Love,” also composed by Van Heusen and Burke for the 1944 movie: Belle of the Yukon, performed by Karrin Allyson on her somnolent CD: Daydream, with Kim Park on Alto Sax, Paul Smith on Piano, Danny Embrey on Guitar and Todd Strait on Percussion.

12. “All My Tomorrows” was inked by Sammy Cahn and Jimmy Van Heusen for the 1959 Frank Sinatra movie: A Hole in the Head, and was sung by Tony Bennett on his 1965 aerodynamic album: If I Ruled the World – Songs for the Jet Set, arranged and conducted by Don Costa, accompanied here only by Ralph Sharon on Piano and Hal Gaylor on Bass.

13. The 1945 song by Johnny Burke and Jimmy Van Heusen, “Aren’t You Glad You’re You,” performed by Lucy Ann Polk from her 1954 lucky LP: Lucy Ann Polk with Dave Pell, with Tony Rizzi on Guitar.

14. “Come Fly With Me” was composed by Jimmy Van Heusen and Sammy Cahn for Frank Sinatra and in 1988 Shirley Horn put her stamp on it on her sumptuous CD: Close Enough for Love, singing and playing piano with the support of Buck Hill on Tenor Sax, Charles Ables on Bass and Steve Williams on Drums.

15. “Polka Dots and Moonbeams,” the 1940 song by Jimmy Van Heusen and Johnny Burke that was Frank Sinatra’s first big hit with the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra, featured on the non-standard 1988 CD: Cassandra Wilson Sings Standards.

Pages: 1 0 replies