Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

German Tiki Lounge

Pages: 1 42 replies

During the last 15 years I used to have a large enclosure (44" x 87") in my living room, where I kept an iguana. Since my iguana died two years ago, I decided to tear down the enclosure, and to build a tiki bar in this corner of the room.
In the following pic you can see a part of the iguana enclosure.

And that's how the corner looks now, after I had removed the enclosure.

Before I can start with the actual build of the bar, the living room requires a basic renovation (fresh paint and new laminate floor etc.). While that keeps me busy, I started already to collect and to build some decoration stuff.
I built a new lamp for the living room...

...cut an Aloha sign from a 1/2" thick piece of oak wood

...and bought two of these openframe tiles off ebay

I also saw a very cool tiki diorama in a jar on etsy, but it was no longer available, and it would have been far too expensive anyway. Therefore, I spent a few hours to create my own diorama.

Thanks for looking.
I'll keep you updated on the progress.

[ Edited by: Tim Hawaii 2015-02-15 22:15 ]

[ Edited by: Tim Hawaii 2015-02-15 22:15 ]

E

Off to a good start. Consider expanding the TV wall in to the bar.

It looks like the door swings into the area the bar will be. Are you building the bar so its sits against the wall?

TT

Diggin' that diorama!!!!

Aloha

Little update on the progress of my bar.

Put all the cables for the lamps and outlets in, and completed the roof. Next thing that needs to be done is a frame for the black bamboo below the matting.

Cheers,
Tim

PP

looking really nice Tim! especially, since it must be tough to get bamboo and thatching all the way in Germany!! keep up the great work, and i look forward to more photos,

paul

I agree, good job so far...have fun!

Thanks for the kind words.
The black bamboo is on the wall.
Next weekend I have to build some shelves, and I'll try to carve my first mouldings.

These are the outlines of the bar that I drew on the floor - hope the lines are visible in the pic.

Great
Have fun
Keep the pics Rollin

Yesterday I received these two beautiful bar stools for my tiki lounge. :)

Finished the shelves.

PP

wow Tim, its looking really nice! did you get the bar stools in Germany or did you have to import them? Im sure being in the EU it must be hard and expensive to get Hawaiian and Polynesian items, especially larger items like stools! great job so far on your tiki bar!!!!
paul

Nice lighting for the bottles.

It's not really difficult to get all the materials for a tiki bar here in Europe, it's probably just a little more expensive than in the US. The only thing that is pretty hard to find is the really authentic tiki stuff.

Yesterday evening I finished the tiki mask with the torches.
I simply drilled two holes in the mask, glued the torches in, and added the artificial candles. The artificial candles were originally battery powered, which I didn't like. Therefore I cracked the housings open and connected a 4.5V power supply.
I'm really satisfied with the effect of the flickering light, and I didn't expected that it would look so awesome - another wonderful inspiration that I got from this great forum.

T

nice start! that iguana room looked pretty cool too!

wow!! love the tiki torch mask! Id like to do the same thing! awesome awesome work!!!

Wow, thanks for all the nice comments - that's really encouraging. :)

Yesterday evening was the first time that I laid my hands on a router

Hope I can finish it this evening.

Finished my first router carved moulding.

I'm not sure, if the crocs are actually tiki...

...but they fit well with my crocodile collection on the opposing side of the room.

Great!

Started this weekend with the construction of the actual bar...

...added some more lights, and put the two tikis on top of the bar to get an idea on how it will look in the end.

I also took my fish tank with the artificial jellyfishes into operation. It's just plastic, but it looks really beautiful and soothing with the changing lights and the floating jellyfishes.

The postman just brought this beautiful wall plaque for my tiki bar.

You have a great talent for construction. Wunderbar !

Thanks Johnny,
but I guess what I've achieved so far is nothing, compared to what I've seen in many other TC threads.

wow, everytime i look, your place gets better and better! congrats on doing an awesome job! really loving the trim and your light up jelly fish too!!! keep the pix coming!!!!

I dig the jellyfish.

Really coming together nicely. I dig!

Thanks guys.

Unfortunately, I need to interrupt the work on my bar for a few days, because I have to put new laminate floor in my living/dining room.

Unfortunately, my job keeps me currently pretty busy, therefore still no new laminate floor.
However, yesterday I had some spare time, and took the opportunity to carve a new piece of trim for my bar.

Even though the trim is still far from perfect, I'm slowly getting better with the router.

...another piece finished

Still no new laminate floor (hopefully next week), but at least a little progress with my bar.

T

very sweet. you do nice work!

Looking quite stylish!!!

Thank you very much for the kind words. The feedback from all you long-time TC members means alot to me.

You make it sound so easy! And you have a good eye for bringing in effective details.

T

Just got caught up- beautiful work! I love all the routered trim, the diorama, and more.

The iguana enclosure looks great too- I had built a large one I had built into an apartment years ago.

Thanks for posting. Look forward to seeing your bar progress!

Aloha,
last week I was really busy
...the new laminate floor is in
...and (drumroll) I completed the work on my bar.
Now I just have to fill my shelves with bottles and tiki mugs.

[ Edited by: Tim Hawaii 2015-03-30 22:49 ]

Finally - the first Mai Tai in my own bar. :)

PP

wow!! very very cool!!! congrats on your progress and your first Mai Tai !!!!!

Cheers
Lookin good
And u made me thirsty...

Trying to catchup in this section...looking good! Sorry to hear about your iguana (what a nice room!), but great re-use of the space.

It looks wonderful...congratulations on enjoying your hard work...CHEERS!!!

Pages: 1 42 replies