Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Interactive Animatronic Enchanted Tiki Room Barker Bird at WDFM

Pages: 1 2 replies

We walked over to the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco's Presidio yesterday to check out the "Walt's Trains" exhibit. Following that we did a quick walk through the main museum to ogle the scale model of (as my wife puts it) Platonic Ideal Disneyland, and discovered a new addition. Next to the skeleton of Terminator Lincoln, they've added an animatronic, interactive Tiki Room Barker Bird!

He sits on a pole in front of a monitor. When you press a button he comes to life and introduces you to audio animatronics, and the monitor shows a 2 minute loop including footage of Walt with an animatronic toucan. Eventually you get to take control of the bird with an attached joystick to record some movements - turn, lean, speak, puff chest, etc - which are then played back while the display shows the Enchanted Tiki Room and the bird sings along.

It's not one of the original Barker Birds (such as the one currently on display at the Disney Gallery at DLR), but newly built to the same specs.

Very cool addition! I'm also jealous that you got to see the Walt's Trains exhibit! My wife and I got to see the museum very briefly during a layover in SF, and I'm looking forward to being able to go back some day for a fuller trip (a "grand tour" of SF to Yosemite to Sequoia to LA).

I also enjoyed your wife's name for the model :)

J

It's a great figure, they added it maybe around 6 months ago or so. It was recreated by Garner Holt, who does all of Disney's animatronics manufacturing these days, and I believe Kevin Kidney and Jody Daily had a hand in it as well.

Pages: 1 2 replies