Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Under water lighting without drowning.

Pages: 1 7 replies

Aloha ohana,
I've been spending a couple months searching and keep coming up dry (that puns gonna be funny later, trust me...) so I throw my weird need to you wonderful folks.
See I'm building a display case into the wall on my tiki bar to house my feegee mermaid from munktiki, I've got a ten gallon and a thirty gallon aquarium to choose from both are all set up and ready to go but I can't get the lighting right. I'd like to install leds in the top and use them to create an underwater look so my mermaid (I call her Frank) won't dry out!
So far I've seen a lot of dj equipment that uses spotlights and big high production stuff but that's a lot of money for a small space. I've found some info from different aquarium groups but they all rely on the surface tension of the water to diffuse light. Since I'm not using water that doesn't really work for me. I know this can be done!

So anyone have any amazing ideas or have stories of their own for some under sea lighting?
I'm drowning over here!

... see the dry joke was cause I'm trying to keep things dry but look wet... get it? Oh nevermind, another Mai Tai please!

Look at that! Ask and ye shall receive. This is exactly what I was looking for. The reviews are a little dicey but the price is right. Mahalo!

Mine is very similar, but it has a blue filter on top. I've never run it on batteries, I just plug it in and after 2+ years it still works fine. It does turn itself off after 1 hour though. The waves project to quite a distance.

http://www.amazon.com/Ocean-Daren-Waves-Projector-Speaker/dp/B00RJII288/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1423240293&sr=8-9&keywords=Ocean+Relax+Projector+Pot

Here is my "virtual aquarium". It's a Youtube video that runs for a couple of hours, even has the bubbler sound. There are many variations. Smart TV comes with YT loaded so just plug and play as long as you have Wi-Fi. May be too "busy" and take away from your mermaid though.

H
Hearn posted on Fri, Feb 6, 2015 12:15 PM

On 2015-02-05 22:58, Keaka-tiki wrote:
Look at that! Ask and ye shall receive. This is exactly what I was looking for. The reviews are a little dicey but the price is right. Mahalo!

I've used it in my lounge for a few years (the battery operated version). Motor died out around a year in (so the motion stopped). Still...for $15, I'd say it was worth it. I wrapped it in BacBac Matting and made it into a light fixture.

I see many versions of the projector for sale from $15 to $30
but they all seem to be the exact same unit, all made in China

it will defiantly give you a shimmering water light effect.

This piece showed up in the mail today. It's going to be perfect for what I need. TC comes through again!

Pages: 1 7 replies