Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 2-11-15 Pre-Valentine's Day

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: February 11, 2015

On this week’s show we interpolated erotical and entropical envelopments inspired by imminent advent of Saint Valentine’s Day.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm EDT at: http://www.radiofairfax.org The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Mai Lohilohi Mai Oe,” recorded by Lena Machado in 1935 at the South Seas nightclub in Hollywood with Sol Hoopi on Steel Guitar, Harry Baty on Acoustic Guitar and George Piltz on Ukulele, included on her righteous retrospective: Hawaiian Song Bird. The double entendre lyrics are said to be about a lover extending the invitation: “Don’t hesitate – come!”

2. The traditional song “Ko Ma'i Ho'eu'eu (Your Lovely Ma'i)” was recorded by The Brothers Cazimero on their 1998 superlative CD: Destination Paradise. This mele mai was composed in praise of the sexual prowess and genitals of a man. Because of depopulation after the Europeans arrived, the continuity of the Hawaiians was deemed essential, and in the late 19th Century King Kalâkaua popularized the motto "HoOulu Lahui" or "increase the race." In this tribute in song he is given the honorific: Halala, meaning overly large.

3. “Tewe Tewe,” where once again the words in Hawaiian do double duty, describing a lover’s beauty and describing the O’opu or Red-Tailed Goby Fish, which also is a metaphor for sexual partners, recorded by Hapa on their collaborative compact disc: Malihini, which is sold only at their concerts. This version of the band featured Ron Kuala’au on 12-Stirng Guitar and Barry Flanagan on vocals and Six-String Guitar, with Nathan Aweau on Bass.

4. “Shores of Hale`iwa” by the Hula Honeys, with Ginger Johnson on Vocal and Guitar and Robyn Kneubuhl on Vocal and Ukulele, is included on the Hawaiian compilation featuring women musicians from the islands of Maui and Hawaii, titled: Wahine.

5. “My Funny Valentine,” the famed song composed by Rodgers & Hart for the 1937 Broadway musical: Babes in Arms, performed by the Ukulele master Benny Chong on his alchemical album: Ukulele Jazz – Live in Concert in Hilo, Hawaii, recorded live at the Palace in Hilo, featuring Byron Yasui on Bass.

6. The 1930 song by Harry Ruby and Bert Kalmar, “Three Little Words,” waxed by the Steel Guitar innovator Alvino Rey, included on his rigorous retrospective: So You’re the One! From Sweet to Swing.

7. “Comin' Home Baby,” The 1961 song by Ben Tucker and Bob Dorough sung by Mel Tormé on his 1962 LP of the same name, with backing vocals by The Cookies -- who later became Ray Charles’ singers, The Raelettes – accompanied by the Shorty Rogers Orchestra, taken from the combustive compilation: The Leopard Lounge.

8. “Love Me or Leave Me,” written by Gus Kahn and Walter Davidson for the 1930 movie version of the 1928 Ziegfeld musical comedy: Whoopee!, found on the anthemic anthology: Yes, I Can! The Sammy Davis Jr. Story.

9. “Come In” and “You Wonder How These Things Began” from the very strange 1970 album titled: When Sex Leers Its Inquisitive Head, recorded by the French-born British actor Peter Wyngarde, best known for playing the character Jason King, a bestselling novelist turned sleuth, on British TV in 1968-74. He also played General Klytus in the 1980 movie version of Flash Gordon and took a whip to Diana Rigg who was playing Mrs. Peel in the Hellfire Club in the “A Touch of Brimstone” episode of “The Avengers” TV series. He also appeared on the Dr. Who “Planet of Fire Episode” and was the lover of the actor Alan Bates for 10 years.

10. You Brought a New Kind of Love to Me, composed by Irving Kahal and performed by Louis Prima Jr. on his 2012 CD: Return of the Wildest, joined by Sarah Speigel on Vocals, with Ryan McKay on Electric Guitar, Marco Fox and Gregg Fox on Keyboards, Marco Palos on Tenor Sax, Philip Clevinger on Trombone, Ted Schumacher on Trumpet, Michael Gerbino on Bass and A.D. Adams on Drums.

11. The Oscar Brown Jr. song “Forbidden Fruit” found on the erotical retrospective: The Best of Nina Simone – The Colpix Years, recorded in 1961, with Ms. Simone accompanying herself on Piano.

12. “After the Lights Go Down Low,” written by Leroy Lovett and Allen White, included on the singer Al Hibbler’s 1956 lubricious LP: After the Lights Go Down Low. The Leroy Lovett Orchestra, featuring Leroy Lovett on Piano, Mickey Baker on Electric Guitar and Al Sears on Tenor Sax.

13. “Shadow of a Lie,” by the European artistic conglomeration: De-Phazz from their 2007 CD: Days of Twang, with Barbara Lahr on Vocals, Stefan Zobeley on Electric Guitar and Bernd Windisch on Bass.

14. “Soul Love Power,” by the San Francisco group and Burning Man veterans The Mutaytor from their dramatical conflagration: Yelling Theatre in a Crowded Fire.

15. “Plasir d' Amour (The Pleasure of Love)” composed by Giovanni Martini and sung by Karrin Allyson on her peripatetic production: From Paris to Rio, featuring Rod Fleeman on Guitar and Bob Bowman on Bass.

Pages: 1 0 replies