Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

I need help identifying this tiki "bowl" with lid

Pages: 1 20 replies

Any help in identifying this tiki "bowl" with lid would be greatly appreciated. It feel like it's made of stone, but I'm unsure. It's abt 6 inches round and an inch and a half tall. It was found at a flea market in Sacramento and now has a home in Texas at the Enchanted Tiki Lounge!

You mean that Maori (New Zealand) bowl (any labels or signature?)
sitting between those two Party City plastic trays of doom?

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2015-02-17 19:00 ]

That isn't Maori or tiki. It's from the Pacific Northwest.

No signatures no marks. Thanks for the blow hard comment about the plastic trays. My two sons took the picture for me so they could show me what they found while I was away. This site does live up to the reputation it's been getting about having know-it-alls that can't help but ridicule whatever they don't like or what they don't define as tiki. I know there are a lot of great people on here and it's help with the black bowl I'm seeking.

Thank you TikiLongBeach it does appear to be Pacific Northwest someone suggested it could be a offering bowl. I'd just like to know what it is, how old it might be and if it common or uncommon.

[ Edited by: EnchantedTikiLounge 2015-02-17 20:34 ]

[ Edited by: EnchantedTikiLounge 2015-02-17 20:37 ]

Google Haida slate carvings. They make cool stuff. I'm on my phone so I can't post pictures at the moment.

-Lori

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2015-02-17 20:36 ]

Indeed, an Alaskan totem piece for tourists - NO relation to Polynesia

Wow thanks! Yes it does indeed look Northwest pacific (Alaskan). I guess this all does fall into place of what the owner told me. His 2x great Grandfather was a "pioneer during the mid 1800's and probably pick it up for trade".

tikilongbeach is completely right! serves me for not paying attention

EnchantedTikiLounge, learn to take a joke & those are Party City Plastic trays
so what is your excuse again?

On 2015-02-17 20:54, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
tikilongbeach is completely right! serves me for not paying attention

EnchantedTikiLounge, learn to take a joke & those are Party City Plastic trays
so what is your excuse again?

I can take a joke it was just stupid and I only laugh at the funny ones. I guess that's my excuse.

[ Edited by: EnchantedTikiLounge 2015-02-17 22:00 ]

EJ

No worries EnchantedTikiLounge somewhere in Costa Misery they are missing their village.........well you know.

EJ

And what is your excuse? With the exception of the Bamboo Ben sign of course..

Not my backyard for some years now, but you know that, lets see yours, hypocrite
oh that's right you never post pictures of your place, why is that, Jefe?

why don't you post photos of my current home now & make fun of them, they are right here on TC
go ahead, do it, we will all just wait for your next stupid remark.

T

Do you remember this guy....
He got a very cool reception here on TC and left I guess, he
may know about this bowl.
He made some cool stuff and had some great info on his thread.
Not really tiki, but still cool.

MajikImaje thread.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=40536&forum=18&start=0

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2015-02-18 08:41 ]

Please, no more fighting on TC or these guys will kick your ass.

On 2015-02-17 20:16, EnchantedTikiLounge wrote:
This site does live up to the reputation it's been getting about having know-it-alls that can't help but ridicule whatever they don't like or what they don't define as tiki. I know there are a lot of great people on here and it's help with the black bowl I'm seeking.

Hammer, meet nail-head...

EJ

Or these guys might drop some magic on you.

On 2015-02-17 20:16, EnchantedTikiLounge wrote:
This site does live up to the reputation it's been getting about having know-it-alls that can't help but ridicule whatever they don't like or what they don't define as tiki. I know there are a lot of great people on here and it's help with the black bowl I'm seeking.

Yeah, but I heard that they have absolutely none of that on Facebook...!! :)

Don't give up, ETL, there are many good people here. With any open forum you're gonna get some trolls and weirdness. That shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Stay focused on your objective and not the background noise and I think you'll be glad you did. This is a searchable repository unlike the other option out there, so to me it's worth tolerating the occasional weirdness.

I love the Northwest Coast stuff. Back in college when Native American studies was my minor, I was initially drawn to the woodworks of the northwest coast tribes. In retrospect it was my gateway drug into tiki carving and Polynesian art appreciation. I bet if I wasn't raised around this tropical stuff down here as my main influence,I would have a white guy totem pole carver in Oregon.

I see cool Northwest coast stuff at the swap meet all the time, but I don't need another branch of collecting to go off on right now. I did, however buy this cribbage board at the swap meet last Saturday:

I love that piece!

Buzzy Out!

Nice piece Buzzy. What are the “stones used in the orca’s eye and at the top?
Mahalo

ATP: You need to get this book right here:

I can't believe you called it Maori!
And, just to throw myself under the bus: I got one of those colorful Party City- 3 section tiki trays. I, of course, use it as a weed tray.

On 2015-02-18 21:21, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Nice piece Buzzy. What are the “stones used in the orca’s eye and at the top?
Mahalo

they're rounded abalone inlays.

Buzzy Out!

Just wasn't paying attention, Buzzman
saw the big tongue & went into Haka mode
especially considering it is usually myself that points out the Pacific Northwest
stuff that shows up here, Lori (tikilongbeach) gets all the credit for that catch.

But as we all know "Party City" stuff is free game! zero tolerance
full frontal Tiki assault mode, bitches!

Don't want the razz, then don't post the Pics.

Pages: 1 20 replies