Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Vintage Rattan Furniture help

Pages: 1 1 replies

B

Hello, I am a new member and I am trying to do some research on a rattan furniture set I have. I'm trying to learn more about it. I found a manufacturer tag on one of the pieces (I have attached a picture). The pieces I believe were manufactured around the 40's and bought by a family member when he lived in Japan. I have attached a photo of one of the chairs. I also have a couch, end tables, coffee table and lamps that match. They look like a Paul Frankl design, but I'm puzzled by it being manufactured in Japan. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hiya,

These are the much-beloved "pretzel" rattan designs in the STYLE of Paul Frankl. Frank's original designs were produced in the Phillipines in the 1930s and instantly copied for the following decade-plus. So, virtually all of the so-called "Frankl" rattan that one sees online is just as yours - made in the style of his designs, but not exactly TO his design. There are distinct if subtle differences in the construction details, appearance of the wrapping at joints, etc. The few pieces of verifiably Frankl rattan I have seen are either in museum or very high-end private collections.

That said, the collector's desirability of these goes up with the number of bands in the arms. Six band examples are generally considered the best (the more bands, the better, but the nine-band versions are unicorn rare), so yours is a pretty desirable set.

Whatever you do, do not paint (horrors) the rattan. I know most here savor the natural rattan look and would not do that, but just FYI, it kills the look and value. If there are the usual nicks and scrapes to the rattan finish, the best way I have found to lightly touch up the sheen and blend in light scratches is with a bit of diluted amber shellac. The amber is darker than the usual orange stuff (and helps cover scratches) and can be diluted with a little denatured alcohol (1/4 or 1/3 ratio is fine: the canned stuff is just too goopy as mixed) and then wiped on with a clean cotton rag. Be sure to clean the surface of the rattan with a little mineral spirits before - it will get rid of the basic grime and oils and help the shellac adhere. Of course, if you have original Paul Frankl-marked rattan, do not do anything to it but dust it!

Aloha, GK

Pages: 1 1 replies