Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Jardin Tiki in Montreal is CLOSING... (March 2015)

Pages: 1 1 replies

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but what us Montrealers had been expecting since last summer has arrived...

The imminent CLOSING of our beloved JARDIN TIKI.

It's been announced this week in the local paper that the restaurant would be closed "by the end of March 2015", leaving anyone wishing to see the place a little bit of time to do so.

For those not in the know, the Jardin Tiki opened in the 1980s but features a lot of the original decor of Montreal's famed KON-TIKI Restaurant that was located downtown at the Sheraton Mont-Royal from 1959 to 1981.

The property has been sold, will be demolished, and the land used to build a retirement residence; a booming trend in the area where the Jardin Tiki is located. Located near the Olympic Stadium, the building housing the restaurant (an old car dealership) is Googie in design and worthy of a detour by itself.

According to a TV report this week the owner is looking into doing an auction to sell the decor and interior... At least they seem to be aware of the value it holds. There are outstanding, vintage pieces in there...

I will try to keep everyone posted if I hear more details, but I strongly urge everyone in the area or even from the eastern seaboard to visit before it's too late... The Jardin Tiki is the last of its kind in Quebec and in Canada as far as I know...

Link to the local paper's article (in french)

http://journalmetro.com/local/mercier-anjou/actualites/724065/les-residences-soleil-mettraient-la-main-sur-le-jardin-tiki/

Newspaper Ad from the 1980s:

I Hope everybody will get the chance to come bid a last farewell to the Jardin Tiki!!!

"Goodbye Jardin Tiki, we hardly knew ye"

Mahalo,

Lewis
Montreal, QC

[ Edited by: AtomicLewis 2015-02-21 03:11 ]

Sigh! Was just discussing that with John Trivisonno here in Palm Springsā€¦.

That is gonna be SOME auction!:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=4849&forum=2&start=0

Pages: 1 1 replies