Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Orgeat - toasted almond instead of baked

Pages: 1 5 replies

J

First post in a looooong while... So, I usually make my own orgeat and I usually bake the almonds a bit before pulverizing them. This time I thought I'd toast them and the results quite unexpected. The orgeat is a dark brown color (thanks to the toasted almonds) and has a very distinct nutty flavor to it. Not bad at all, but made a Mai Tai take on a different characteristic.

K
kkocka posted on Mon, Mar 2, 2015 4:03 PM

How are you toasting your almonds? I've yet to make my own orgeat but I would personally try to roast or toast them as I like how BG Reynolds' orgeat is a bit toasty or spicy in comparison to most. I think that's because he keeps the brown skins on them? I'm not sure.

J

I've baked them before, but didn't let them get too golden in colour. Toasting slivered almonds in the frying pan definitely make the more crispy and definitely a deep golden brown. Leaving the skins on does make the orgeat more brown in colour, but doesn't affect the taste much, I find. This was the first time I've tried making it without almond milk, so it's not that off-white colour we're normally used to seeing orgeat as.

R
Rawim posted on Thu, Mar 5, 2015 1:31 PM

Orgeat Works makes theirs by toasting the almonds. I like it, the toasting does come through in the orgeat and nice little added complexity in my opinion.

J

For sure! I find both the toasted method and baked methods are distinctly different but equally as good in their own way.

A

he Samoan Fog Cutter is definitely a superior recipe; I think even the Vic's replaced the old recipe with this one?

If you're new to mixing tiki drinks, though, I'd try a '34 Zombie or a Navy Grog next. You'll be hearing those angels again in no time

Pages: 1 5 replies