Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Historic Bars Contest - Mai-Kai, Tonga Room, etc.

Pages: 1 17 replies

S

I voted Mai-Kai, but this will get harder as we go forward. Some great places on this list.

Vote for your favorite bar(s) on this list.

I'm sure you'll struggle too with La Mariana, Tootsie's, Prost, Carousel Bar, and many worthy others on the list, but, vote Mai-Kai dammit!

Thanks, I voted. I think you can vote more than once. Let's help the Mai-Kai take the title!

T

Tiki Ti is best for me, or at least number two!!!

J

Not sure how Bourbon and Branch qualifies for this list since it's only been open about 10 years or less. I guess the space itself is historic, but the bar that currently inhabits it? Don't get me wrong. I love Bourbon and Branch, but it's certainly not historic in the way I think of when I consider the other bars on the list with which I am familiar.

A

Cool that Bali Hai is there

I’ve got too many favorite’s. and there are many, many on that list that I have not been to. I am not qualified to vote -but I am interested in the final results.
Mahalo for the post Swanky,

Please note that the deadline to vote in each round of the contest is 8 a.m. Eastern Time on Fridays. So get cracking. Also, you can vote as often as you like.

I wrote a bit about the contest here:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/03/12/the-week-in-tiki-march-9-2015-historic-bars-compete-vintage-tiki-weekend-announced-rum-fest-at-the-mai-kai/

FM

Voted!

S

This first round is easy. When La Mariana is against Tonga Room or the Mai-Kai, etc., it gets tough!

I don't know if La Mariana can make it past the Carousel, but anything can happen with this voting system.

S

No Tiki establishment made it.

That was fun while it lasted......

There is, however, a bit of silver in this cloud: We aren't going to have to fight the unwashed masses to get our usual seat at our local tiki bars.

T

In this day and age of being able to "buy friends" and or likes can you
really care much about these things?

The one place has like 300 more votes than the others.

Locally some of the worst places to go are Looooveed by the lists and
media types.
It's more of a clique mentality or friendship thing than, "hey this really is
a good product".

Sooo glad we don't have that type of thing going on here on TC.:roll:

It was a nice thought though Swanky.
The Mai Kai is awesome and we all know that.

Well, we went up against the Hipster/mixologist army
and they had more numbers, C'est la vie.

F

On 2015-03-12 07:26, JenTiki wrote:
Not sure how Bourbon and Branch qualifies for this list since it's only been open about 10 years or less. I guess the space itself is historic, but the bar that currently inhabits it? Don't get me wrong. I love Bourbon and Branch, but it's certainly not historic in the way I think of when I consider the other bars on the list with which I am familiar.

That IS kinda strange, JenTiki, but I think you must be right. B&B (and its various internal components) make good drinks, but it's incredibly hipster, so I have to imagine that demo is driving the votes for these.

The Historic Bars Tournament contest has ended:

http://blog.preservationnation.org/2015/04/10/the-big-tap-historic-bars-tournament-championship-recap/#.VSvsSBstGJA

While we are a passionate bunch about our tiki temples, we can't underestimate the passion of others and the importance to them of their good bars in other parts of the country. The good news is that tiki did make it into the Tournament!

They're going to have another tournament next month. You can submit the names of bars that you think should be in the running. I suggested the Tiki Ti.

Add your suggestion in the comments section of this article.
http://blog.preservationnation.org/2015/04/10/the-big-tap-historic-bars-tournament-championship-recap/#comment-33052

Pages: 1 17 replies