Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Upcoming Mixology Seminar(s)

Pages: 1 3 replies

This thread is intended to be a place to post information on upcoming mixology seminars, classes, workshops, and things like that which are related to promote SPECIFIC LEARNING about cocktail mixology. This is not limited to hands-on HOW-TO activities and would include seminars and historical presentations as well as hands-on classes in distilleries, bars, restaurants, tiki and non-tiki events, etc. which may be of general and/or specific interest to tiki cocktail enthusiasts.

While there are threads dedicated to events and activities at The Hukilau, at Tiki Oasis, and at other events, this thread is intended to help us get the word out about valuable, helpful, and informative mixology classes and events which may be tiki (or not) and are not necessarily centered on tropical or tiki mixology. These should be helpful to tiki cocktail aficionados. In other words, there may be opportunities for attendees to learn from parallel disciplines, other interests, and other cocktail realms.

To introduce an event or activity, please post:

• Event Title
  • City and State
  • Venue Name
  • Dates
  • Approximate cost of tickets to attend
  • Event web site URL and/or ticketing URL

Cheers!

Edited 3/30/15 to add event title to the list. Doh...

[ Edited by: AceExplorer 2015-03-30 09:22 ]

There are several BEVERAGE seminars here, most notable is the MIXOLOGY seminar. It's not tiki, but it is a rich vein of information for those who want to learn about techniques and materials. Seminars as of today include:

Beer
Italian wines
Mixology
Caipirinhas
Champagne
Wine blending
Tequila University

For $42.40/ticket, the Modern Mixology seminar offers this description:

Modern Mixology, Beverage Seminar Ticket Only
Learn the science behind our mixologists' methods as we play with aromas, temperature and texture. We apply the same concepts as some of the world's most innovative chefs - Ferran Adria, Jose Andres, and Thomas Keller - to create our unconventional libations. Impress guests at your next social gathering with these clever cocktail tips!

Instructor: Lindsay Skillman
B.A.R. Certified, Certified Sommelier / Assistant Director of Restaurants, Boston Sheraton Hotel

There are also food seminars:

Cheese
Sushi/Sake
Pasta Making

Edited 3/30/2015 to add event title and info on the food seminars. Doh!

[ Edited by: AceExplorer 2015-03-30 09:19 ]

Mixology Class on a Disney Cruise
[Found at http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/ on 4/21/2015.]
[This post will eventually move from their main blog page to their archive, but just for convenience, the text is copied & pasted below.]

posted on May 20th, 2015 by Salah Chetbi, Dining and Beverage Standards and Consistency Manager, Disney Cruise Line

Over the past several weeks, I’ve told you about 10 of our guest-favorite beverage tastings on a Disney cruise. Now it’s time to talk about our seminar that gives you the chance to polish your own bar-tending skills!

Our mixology class is like going through a mini bartender course – but way more fun! You’ll learn to create popular cocktails, making them first hand and then, of course, tasting them. During this seminar, the bartender will discuss ingredients and details of preparing cocktails, tell you about the proper glasses, teach you how to use the equipment, and much more. Some of the drinks you’ll learn to create could include a muddled drink like a mojito, a build drink like a margarita, a martini, a layered shot and a frozen cocktail.

Skyline is just one of the themed venues we use to host this lively class. The personality of this space compliments the personalities of our bartenders who will be your expert guides during this fun experience.

To find out more about ways you can expand your adult beverage knowledge and give your taste buds a treat on your next Disney cruise, take a look back at my previous posts in this series:

•Beer Tasting on a Disney Cruise
•Rum and Amari Tastings on a Disney Cruise
•Tequila and Margarita Tasting on a Disney Cruise
•Chocolate and Liquor Tasting on a Disney Cruise
•Whiskey and Cognac Tastings on a Disney Cruise
•Martini and Champagne Tastings on a Disney Cruise
•From Stem to Stern Wine Tasting on a Disney Cruise

Here's an upcoming seminar in Las Vegas - short notice, I just bumped into this in my email. The term "mixology" has been disparaged here-and-there in Tiki Central, and I'm not debating that at all, although in retrospect I'm not quite sure if I should rename this thread. But clearly, from the illustration below, things are getting much more complicated and wild in some of today's variations of barcraft. For quite a few who make money mixing drinks and writing books, the days of "classic" drink recipes have morphed seriously towards the complicated, the wild, and the very showy. If you can do it, great, as I'm sure it's fun and tasty. But whoa - I can't help but do a double-take with some of the wild stuff I see out there.

Cheers!

Pages: 1 3 replies