Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Lets Open A Comercial Tiki Bar Together, I invest U give ideas

Pages: 1 18 replies

P
Parham posted on Wed, Apr 1, 2015 2:25 AM

Aloha Everyone,
Hope all are doing Fantastic, I am opening a new tiki bar in Dubai (UAE), as for now its a large balcony which we added wood flooring and sealing, here onwards i wanna get everyones opinion of what direction to take and what to buy and where and if u guys are selling decorations and mugs and anything related i will be more than happy to work with you guys, please keep in mind that i am in Dubai UAE so everything has to be shipped.
Why not add a little touch from everyone rather than using a single opinion.
Thanks in advance and let me know of things that i should get and if u sell them or know anyone that does, if you can send me pics, it would be great.
Thank Again All

Not to be too smug, but wouldn't you agree that through Tiki Central, we HAVE ALREADY given you our best ideas? There's no better resource for you my friend than to explore each thread. Best tiki wishes!

T

My Spidey sense is tingling.

If you're considering building a real tiki bar, I'm wondering how the locals would react to foreign carved religious idols in their midst? Aren't the Emirates known not to be too tolerant of that sort of thing? A purely tropical-themed or island-themed venue may be a more workable option. Have you done any market research?

As posted by Bongo Bungalow, all the resources you need are pretty much already posted here for you.

Wishing you all the best.

Parham, I just launched an island business. I carve tikis, designed a tiki mug and am working on more. My business is named Tiki Republic. It can be found online at tikirepublic.com or on facebook at tikirepublic by Pierre Mosley. The mug is a prototype. It is pictured in an article by godaddy on the facebook site. I'm flying out tomorrow to meet with a mug manufacturer to have them produced in volume. I should have a price and delivery time after that. If you're interested shoot me a personal message. I will send images of the mug later as I'm at work now. I'm a 28 year employee of a major airline and can get my product's to you even if I have to fly to Dubai in person.

Pierre

On 2015-04-01 04:45, AceExplorer wrote:
If you're considering building a real tiki bar, I'm wondering how the locals would react to foreign carved religious idols in their midst? Aren't the Emirates known not to be too tolerant of that sort of thing? A purely tropical-themed or island-themed venue may be a more workable option. Have you done any market research?

Even though it's April 1st, I'll bite...

UAE is fairly tolerant of other cultures; booze, bikinis and more are allowed for the non-locals. I won't go too beyond that.
Dubai (a city/state of 2 million) has three Trader Vic's and a TV Mai Tai Lounge.
Both Abu Dhabi and Al Ain (.5 million each) have a TV.
So i'd be more worried about saturation!

Unlike some other locations these have booze.
Also, the iconic menu artwork remained true with topless wahines, unlike the Beverly Hills location which drew bikini tops on them.

On 2015-04-01 04:45, AceExplorer wrote:

As posted by Bongo Bungalow, all the resources you need are pretty much already posted here for you.

Wishing you all the best.

There are more Trader Vic's in Arab/Muslim countries than there are in Western countries. Kurdistan, Jordan, Bahrain, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and UAE all have branches.

Thanks, those replies definitely answer my questions. I have never been to UAE but have heard a lot of very spectacular things are there to see and do.

And yes, it's April 1, and the original poster started this thread with their very first and only post and I'm sure they're watching us with great glee. Cheers!

I'm still goin to Dubai. Rum drinks for everyone!!!

On 2015-04-01 02:25, Parham wrote:
Thanks in advance and let me know of things that i should get and if u sell them or know anyone that does, if you can send me pics, it would be great.
Thank Again All

I don't mean to pry but can you share what kind of budget you are working with? To mix metaphors.... it won't do for us to recommend champagne ideas when you are working with a beer budget.

T

On 2015-04-01 10:18, Chip and Andy wrote:

On 2015-04-01 02:25, Parham wrote:
Thank Again All

I don't mean to pry but can you share what kind of budget you are working with? To mix metaphors.... it won't do for us to recommend champagne ideas when you are working with a beer budget.

It's Dubai, There is no "beer budget" aloud in Dubai.

All you need to do is get this truck (and its occupant) shipped to Dubai.

DC

Looks like there actually is a Parham Ramezani in Dubai. Possibly associated with Nicholas and Christian Candy, London billionaires, who are working on a 3 million square foot real estate plan in Dubai.
http://www.enom.com/whois/candyproject-com.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/constructionandproperty/10617991/Candy-brothers-plan-major-Dubai-development.html

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2015-04-01 11:42 ]

FM

Welcome Parham! This site is full of pictures, ideas, and craftsmen that could help you. Give us an idea of what you are working with- size, budget, etc. What I would recommend is to please stay away from tacky or cheap Tiki decor. Look at pictures of the Mai Kai, Kahiki, Kapu Kai, Trader Vics, and the many other Tiki Temples that have inhabited our landscape over the years for great ideas.

F

Building a brand new tiki bar on a "large balcony" with "wood flooring"? From a literal first poster?
Come on, guys- this is April 1st through and through!

Cheers!
:drink:

Finky, in that case, I'm volunteering to empty the spittoons on opening night if Parham will fly me out there to help!

S

On the chance this is not an April Fool's joke, I recommend you personal message tikicentral user: tikishark. His Business manager is also Vice President of Body Glove Saudi Arabia, he has done numerous projects in Dubai, including many featuring Brad's (tikishark)amazing art work. He might be able to help you and work as an intermediary, as Brad is an establshed artist and member here with relationships with many of the premeire artists, carvers, mug makers, installation creators of the Tiki revival.

F

On 2015-04-01 12:59, AceExplorer wrote:
Finky, in that case, I'm volunteering to empty the spittoons on opening night if Parham will fly me out there to help!

I heard the spittoons will all be based on well-recognized tiki mugs; ie there will be a Tiki Bob spittoon, a Severed Head spittoon, a couple of Shag-designed spittoons (prem-o resale value!); I heard Bosko is carving a special spittoon and Gecko is rumored to be making one as well, and there will even be a giant Mai Kai Mystery Bowl spittoon at the end of the bar so everyone can communally partake in the salivary excretion practice.

No idea if the drinks will be any good, but the spittoons will be first rate!
Cheers!
:drink:

I drew plans for Art Snyder for a Don the Beachcomber that was going to be in Dubai. ( not an April Fools Joke )

Pages: 1 18 replies