Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Good News / Bad News Tahiti Restruant and Bar in Los Angeles

Pages: 1 32 replies

I just called and they've recently changed their answering machine message. It says they will be closed until the end of July...which ends in a couple of days. I don't know if anyone knows a different update on Tahiti but I hope they can get this place going again....she's not the best tiki bar in los angeles, but Tahiti has some great ambience.

TB

Tiki Baron:

That is all good!

Tahiti is my favorite Tiki bar in LA.
First and foremost, its fireplace rivals that of (sadly, the now closed) Kahiki.

Moreover, before entering, one passes 3 tikis and one blazing tiki torch.

Tahiti has an outdoor patio and the lounge features Balinese meru style features.

There are larger than life hibiscus blossoms decorating the walls and all tiki drinks are served with pineapple wedges.

The pupus are also tasty. The coconut shrimp are my favorite.

I CAN'T WAIT! (I hope it is not ruined)

Last I heard they found a buyer and he was not going to keep it a Tiki/Tahitian Bar. They had a few offers and they guy who won wants to change it. This was told to me a few weeks ago so thing could have changed. We told them that we have buyers for all the artifacts and Tiki stuff but have not heard from them.

We told them that we have buyers for all the artifacts and Tiki stuff but have not heard from them.

Yeah I was really hoping to snag a Scorpion Bowl or two if they were closing down, but I imagined that it would be heading to the Ebay market. If they do have a sale on those items I appreciate you giving them the heads up about having buyers.

TB

My hopes are so quickly shattered.

The person who I spoke to briefly on the phone confirmed that Tahiti "would be completely redone" and not opened until November, contrary to the recording.

I suppose at times like this we should still be appreciative of the tikis bars which remain, Tiki Ti, Damon's, the Tonga Room and, my (new) favorite, the grandaddy of them all, Trader Vics.

-As well as the new tiki bars: Purple Orchid, and new quasi-tiki bars: Moonson is Santa Monica, Point Moreea and "the Islands" chain.

S

Is it really theft when you rescue something? The cool neon sign, etc. will probably just get trashed or end up in some rich frat boys dorm. The fireplace might be tough to spirit away, but it's a shame when these things fall by the wayside.

The Tonga Hut out in the valley looks like it's been closed for years because no one takes care of the place. The tiki outside is deteriorating as are most of the patrons. It needs a good home and some restoration.

We need an elite Tiki liberation force. A clandestine organization dedicated to the rescue of neglected tikis.

I'm in.

Possibly we should start with the 2 tikis on the roof and then move to the neon sign.

Tiki Ninjas? I suggest you take Holden with you, he's the grasshopper!

Don't get me wrong, I dig where you're coming from about liberating neglected tikis but as Sven so eloquently explained in the BOT, (I'm paraphrasing here) it is not advisable to remove tikis from their existing locations unless directly threatened. So, unless there are concrete plans of obliteration it is probably best to leave the tikis be...

Could someone enlighten me and tell me the address/location of this place?

Mahalo!

Hey! We can build our own Tiki Central Club House.
Otaaaaaay Panky!!

Tahiti is at 3rd and Fairfax, about 1 or 2 doors west on third and Tonga Hut is on Victory (I think) just off the 101 about 1 block west. That sound right?

So if we decide they ARE threatened what say we take them and leave them on the Doorstep of Damon's or Tiki Ti!

Spytiki:

Most appropriate name for our project.

The Tahiti tikis ARE definitely facing the wrecking ball.

I also like your tiki benelovence to share the wealth at Tiki Ti or Damon's. I had thought we would just split the tiki loot amongst ourselves.

Regarding the Tonga Hut, I believe we should give the new owner a chance.
However, the new owner also must show good faith by, at the very least, replacing the water in the fountains (and maybe springing for a new pump as well).

This is (as with any Tiki liberation) a dicey situation. I heard that the owner of the Tahiti was a true Polynesiac, I mean he had to be, since he opened the place. So he would be fully aware of the value of his Tikis, and know how to save or sell them. He should be allowed to make back some of his losses for his valiant effort.
Then again, maybe the place was sold before and that's why it went belly up. Or maybe the cocktails were just too expensive.
Too bad, Crazy Al did a great job with that fireplace...

I did some reconnaissance and the rooftop tikis must be bolted down. I'm not sure that a crowbar would work.

The same issue applies to the spectacular hula neon sign. It is also heavy, so it would need to be supported with ropetwine to prevent it falling and breaking the bent tubing.

There was one lava tiki on the patio which should also be retrieved. I jiggled all of the handles in the back, and no alarm went off so possibly we can drill the lock (or simply go through the window.)

In reference to BigBroTiki's comments, I'll call the owner and see if he is willing to allow the tikis to go to a home were they can be properly cared for (lest he be cursed for needlessly destroying tikis).

However, the original plan may help out the owner or lessor by enabling him to make a property damage claim on the insurance.

I do wish there was a way to salvage the amazing fireplace.

Does anyone know the owner of the Tonga Hut (or any other tiki bar) well enough to have him buy some of these objects (neon sign, fireplace, Balinese style furniture, tikis) directly from Tahiti?

Otherwise, is there a demolition expert to join our elite TIki Klepto-Liberation Insertion (TIKI) force?

Greetings to the owner of a blue Jeep Wrangler with a TIKIFARM bumper sticker and a Ball State licenseplate holder parked in alley behind Tahiti.

You have just been drafted to join the TIKI force!

[ Edited by: christiki295 on 2003-08-01 19:14 ]

[ Edited by: on 2003-08-01 19:21 ]

PLEASE please stop this talk about vandalism. as a long time preservationist, the best way to salvage things is to have daily visitations (or more) to keep an eye if/when the dumpsters arrive. A pre-emptive strike is morally and ethically, not to mention legally wrong.

The Museum of Neon Art is trying to get the Tahiti sign for their collection. Otherwise it will be sold to a private dealer like Track 16 Gallery at Bergomont Station (who salvaged "Hawaii in the Valley" now on display Neonopolis in Vegas)

AND the Tonga Hut is SAFE for now. The owner, Mary, and I are going to get together and I am going to show her the BOT, etc. and hopefully I can take her around to the Lava Lounge and Tiki Ti as well...

Don't mess with Tonga - The Gods will be angry.

oh and yes, Mary is aware that the fountains need fixing. She says she has had her hands full just cleaning the place - it had not been cleaned in years.

If there is anyone who is willing to pitch in and do some restoration work on Tonga for little or no money, let me know. She is also open to getting some appropriate music in there. And I think a Mai Kai Gents show is in order!

When I finally catch my breath, i could donate a piece and/or help out.

S

I don't think anyone was suggesting any real vandalism. We just want to be ready to get in and get out quickly if neccessary. (The job may be dangerous, but someone's got to do it.)

Tahiti was a nicely done place. I think we should all be on dumpster watch until we know what's going on.

I'm planning to do some scouting on Monday. (by the way, nice work christiki295!)

"I do wish there was a way to salvage the amazing fireplace. "

Wasn't there a picture of a Helicopter zooming off with the fireplace from the Kahiki or was that a joke? Perhaps the thing could be taken apart and re-assembled somewhere?

I'll put in some time at the Tonga Hut by the way. Let me know the plan.

S

By the way, isn't this a little suspicious?

"Greetings to the owner of a blue Jeep Wrangler with a TIKIFARM bumper sticker and a Ball State licenseplate holder parked in alley behind Tahiti. "

FuturaGirl:

Finally some (sort of) good news regarding the preservation of that spectacular neon sign. Thank you for that.

(You also may wish to contact them about procuring the noteworthy neon sign for the now-defunct Hollywood & Vine diner.)

Your idea of having the demolition tractors remove the rooftop and, possibly, the fireplace, tikis is a very good one.

As far as pitching in to regarding the Tonga Hut, I am more than happy to contribute by way of purchasing mai-tais and chi-chis on a regular basis, and I thank you for your efforts with the new owner.

TB: The "Greetings" salutation was the format the US military used for the draft prior to WWII.

It is is appropriate to draft a TIKIFARM person for our project when they park behind the site. However, I welcome a more subtle approach.

S

By "suspicious" I just meant that maybe somone's already wheeling and dealing in there. What do you think?

Good question.

I agree - coincidences are always unlikely.

Although the place appeared to be locked up, it is possible there was a behind closed doors meeting going on or possibly the prior owner/resturantuer was there by himself and that was his car.

However, an equally likely possibility is that someone lives very close.

On 2003-08-03 11:33, christiki295 wrote:
It is is appropriate to draft a TIKIFARM person for our project when they park behind the site. However, I welcome a more subtle approach.

Howdy,
Not sure exactly what's up but no blue Jeep's at the Farm. We produced 2,500 bumper stickers about a year ago though - cool that they're still out there... thought most of those cars must have died due to our local So. Cal salting the roads and the related rust problems or something therein by now! I'm avoiding the draft... heading to Canada!
Holden

[ Edited by: smogbreather on 2003-08-05 01:06 ]

S

I was out there yeaterday snooping around (nothing good in the dumpster yet) and the place just looks sad and un cared for. The rafia is torn, the sign is dirty and all that cool stuff is sitting there inside. Any news on this place?

T

On 2003-08-02 16:09, spy-tiki wrote:
By the way, isn't this a little suspicious?

"Greetings to the owner of a blue Jeep Wrangler with a TIKIFARM bumper sticker and a Ball State licenseplate holder parked in alley behind Tahiti. "

This is not at all suspicious if it is the OWNER'S car...

If there is anyone who is willing to pitch in and do some restoration work on Tonga for little or no money, let me know. She is also open to getting some appropriate music in there. And I think a Mai Kai Gents show is in order!

We would be thrilled and honored to play a re-tikification party at The Tonga Hut. Let's get this fine establishment whipped back into shape.

-Iuka Grogg

S

Hey Futura Girl,

What's the latest on Operation Tonga Hut? Sounds like there's some interest in a renovation party.

I'm in (but I don't want to have bring my own broom).

I spoke with the folks at the Tahiti restaurant and it has been confirmed that they are not reopening. I expressed interest in their neon hula dancer and suggested they donate the sign to the Museum of Neon Art in Los Angeles, but they have had other offers and the museum's tax deduction does not amuse them. Apparently they received a big price quote from some guy who's building an addition to his house and would like to put the animated hula girl in his rumpus room -- I'm not kidding. Sometime in September they will be having an auction, but must wait to find out what the new owners wish to keep and what they don't. All the stuff that they don't want will then be sold off. FYI.

Lynxwriter:

Thank you for making the call.

Could you provide the details regarding the scheduling of the auction?

The neon sign in the rumpus room. That person is either a selfish idiot or is raising the children properly (I don't know which).

Mateo Hukilau Brown left me a message last saying he had a friend on the Tahiti Auction list - but didn't leave a date - so i can only assume it's either come and gone or is very soon. anyone hear anything?

ALSO on the Tonga Hut front. I bought a copy of the Book of Tiki and finally dropped it off as a present to the new owner. after i get back again from Vegas, I'll talk to her some more and encourage her to upgrade the TIPSY factor at Tonga - which is really pretty good actually...

S

I'd like to know about the list too. No answer at their phone # and I don't know who to contact.

Pages: 1 32 replies