Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

estate sale - hollywood, ca. WITCO alert !!!!

Pages: 1 11 replies

http://www.estatesales.net/estate-sales/CA/Los-Angeles/90068/863607?highlight=Tiki+Tikis

couple of nice witco stools, witco tiki table/bench unit and hidden just out of view in the photos, a witco lamp with original large leopard print shade - who knows what other witco treasures lurk inside. they claim several pieces including a 4 ft tiki and chandelier.

hope someone out there can score these for their tiki room ~!!!

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2015-04-23 14:50 ]

Thank you for posting.
Sounds like a very nice home. A classic 1920 Spanish revival mansion in the Hollywood Hills with an entertainment industry pedigree.

"tropical pictures, 7 pcs. carved & burned 60s Tiki furniture– low table & 2 attached stools, 2 bar stools, pr. 4’ Tikis, & table lamp w/faux big cat lampshade and a large hanging chandelier"

I dropped by there on the weekend, The estate was was George Duke (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Duke). I'm not familiar with him, but the place was pretty big, with rooms converted as a full-on recording studio. A LOT of records on the wall.

He was a popular 70s & 80s Jazz musician.

My wife was there early and had worked out a deal for the lamp and two of the tall tikis. She was waiting to hear back before she bought them, and since I was driving to upland and couldn't respond, she didn't buy them. I've since let her know that she doesn't need my permission to buy vintage Witco.

that lamp went for huge money on ebay a month or so ago.... bet the tikis are good ones too- post pics whoever got them.

Curious what they were asking for the lamp? I'm was close to getting over there on Friday. Not sure what's worst, negotiating and not bringing home or not going at all...about the same I guess.

T

I went on Friday.. actually live close by and had the day off! They wanted $450 for the lamp. The two Tikis were actually the posts from the Witco Tiki Bar (sans bar) and she wanted around $400 for those. The chairs were $500 I believe. The table lamp was between $400 and $500. The table/stool thing was I think $500. I was told "everything is negotiable" so I asked if she had a better a price on the chandelier. Well, she just about bit my head off and basically told me to go f-myself. Uhhh... okay. the lady running the sale was so rude and nasty that I decided to just leave. It really was insane - and I wasn't the only one. A few people outside talked about how nasty she was. I even looked her up on the internet and sure enough, here's some similar reviews of her on Yelp:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/yost-sharon-estate-sales-chatsworth

Anyhow, someone did eventually buy it and for near asking I would presume. I guess $450 is a fair price for the Witco chandelier lamp but not exactly a steal either. Glad I did not give a dime to this nasty person.

On 2015-04-30 00:10, Tattoo wrote:
I went on Friday.. actually live close by and had the day off! They wanted $450 for the lamp. The two Tikis were actually the posts from the Witco Tiki Bar (sans bar) and she wanted around $400 for those. The chairs were $500 I believe. The table lamp was between $400 and $500. The table/stool thing was I think $500. I was told "everything is negotiable" so I asked if she had a better a price on the chandelier. Well, she just about bit my head off and basically told me to go f-myself. Uhhh... okay. the lady running the sale was so rude and nasty that I decided to just leave. It really was insane - and I wasn't the only one. A few people outside talked about how nasty she was. I even looked her up on the internet and sure enough, here's some similar reviews of her on Yelp:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/yost-sharon-estate-sales-chatsworth

Anyhow, someone did eventually buy it and for near asking I would presume. I guess $450 is a fair price for the Witco chandelier lamp but not exactly a steal either. Glad I did not give a dime to this nasty person.

Hehehe, yep Tatoo my wife and I witnessed others having runs in with that lady. At best she was not budging on price (and NOTHING there was a bargain), at worst she would just grab the item they were interested in and tell them "no I'm not selling this now, I changed my mind."

Dang tattoo that is crazy. I can just picture the scene. Well I guess it wasn't meant to be and like you said at those prices not a steal at all. Cheers

[ Edited by: gold zephyr 2015-04-30 20:07 ]

My wife had negotiated $600 for the lamp and the two 6' Tikis

Pages: 1 11 replies