Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Trader Sam's Shipwreck Barrels: TWO first editions???

Pages: 1 7 replies

Forgive me if this is old news or has already been discussed on another thread. I searched the forums and couldn't find this question addressed anywhere.

My husband recently returned from a business trip which, lucky him, left him with a bit of time to wander around Disneyland for a bit. While he was there he stopped by Sam's and ordered a Shipwreck. He asked the bar tender what edition the mugs were and was told that they were second edition. He could tell that this one was different from the first edition we already had so he purchased it and brought it home.

When we were examining it at home we discovered that even though it is vastly different from the one we already had, both of these mugs are labeled as "1st edition."

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

As you can see these are more than a little different, but they are both the same edition. Does anyone know why this would be? Is there a real 2nd edition Shipwreck might out there somewhere?

The Ivory Mug is the first edition & the Green glaze is the second
Tiki Farm used the same mold, which is why they both say 1st Edition on the bottom.

Yeah, it's funky. Makes me wonder if they'll change the mold for a read second edition.

Hang onto the tan/ivory glaze, though. They go for a bit on eBay. :)

On 2015-04-24 01:00, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
The Ivory Mug is the first edition & the Green glaze is the second
Tiki Farm used the same mold, which is why they both say 1st Edition on the bottom.

What seems odd about that is that they actually seem to be slightly different shapes and sizes. The glazed one is slightly shorter with a slightly wider mouth.

On 2015-04-24 04:44, EPCOTExplorer wrote:

Hang onto the tan/ivory glaze, though. They go for a bit on eBay. :)

Oh I'm hanging on to both of them. I don't collect them for their eBay value, but its always nice to know other people find value in them too.

Ohana means family, and family means no one gets left behind... or forgotten.

[ Edited by: Benvolio7 2015-04-24 07:38 ]

K

On 2015-04-24 07:35, Benvolio7 wrote:
What seems odd about that is that they actually seem to be slightly different shapes and sizes. The glazed one is slightly shorter with a slightly wider mouth.

Yeah the same with the zombie mugs - if you line up all three variations, they gradually get smaller and smaller. In another thread somebody mentioned that we'll end up with a shot glass. :D

On 2015-04-24 09:42, kkocka wrote:

On 2015-04-24 07:35, Benvolio7 wrote:

Yeah the same with the zombie mugs - if you line up all three variations, they gradually get smaller and smaller. In another thread somebody mentioned that we'll end up with a shot glass. :D

Yeah, but the Zombie mugs are labeled correctly (1st edition, 2nd edition, etc). The Barrels are clearly different molds but both molds have the 1st Edition label? I'm confused.

K

On 2015-04-24 10:52, Benvolio7 wrote:
Yeah, but the Zombie mugs are labeled correctly (1st edition, 2nd edition, etc). The Barrels are clearly different molds but both molds have the 1st Edition label? I'm confused.

True, I think maybe Tiki Farm/Disney learned from the Shipwreck barrel. The Krakatoa and Uh Oa mugs both have 2nd Edition, as I think was answered above. So really, the current barrel is a mislabeled 2nd edition. Pretty straightforward from here on. Maybe if there's another glaze it'll say 3rd edition? :wink:

Pages: 1 7 replies