Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Oahu Room

Pages: 1 14 replies

G

Aloha everyone,

I have debated about posting my modest build for awhile; I'm in awe of some of the fantastic work the folks here have done on their bars.
I decided to go ahead and post because:

1. I had a blast building it.
  2. We really like hanging out in it.
  3. I wanted to encourage others who may be hesitant to try a build.

Although I love all things tiki, I'm not really a collector. My approach to this build, in as much as I had one, was kind of a 'beach shack'.
The criteria was: it had to be cheap to build, as I had a small budget. I was very fortunate to have a buddy give me a bunch of bamboo from a abandoned Trader Joe's display, so I had some good pieces to work with.
Some of you might be interested in the floor; I went with the paper bag technique because, again, cheap!
Anyway, If you have 4:44 to waste, here's a slideshow I put together on the construction and etc.
I did a search here for 'Oahu Room' and came up empty; my apologies if someone else has that name.
Thanks for watching.

Very nice. I'm amazed at how many people convert their garages and how well they turn out. You should have a lot of enjoyable hours in the Oahu Room. The music was a nice touch to viewing the pictures.

H

I enjoyed your video and the music as well. You did a nice job decorating.

I love how the floor turned out; I've never heard of that technique before.

G

I took a gamble on doing the floor that way; somebody on here mentioned it in a post, so I did a little research online and dived in.
The method is a LOT of work, but has the singular virtue of being really cheap, total cost about $60.00
It did come out looking pretty good. In person it looks sort of like stone.
Thanks for the kind no words!

EJ

Nice job. I like the tiki surf club kinda vibe. Reminds me of the last time I was at Duke's on Kauai.

T

Neat vid LIKE your flooring!

R

Love it...and that floor is awesome. Great job!

T

Wow, stunning job. Love the faux wood paint job on the garage doors!

PP

well worth the 4:44 to watch your video! awesome job!! Love the flooring too! may have to try that myself! Your garage now looks like somewhere you could relax after a long day at work!!! truly, an awesome build!! Love it!!!

Paul

Wowza Wowza Wowza...you did a spectacular job and your floor is just gorgeous!!! I love the timeline slide show GREAT JOB!!! and the music made the journey quite pleasant.

G
gitiki posted on Mon, May 4, 2015 9:59 AM

Thank you all for the kind comments!
If anyone wants further information on the flooring, I did a tutorial in the 'Other Crafts' section :
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=49135&forum=18&start=last&0

Way kool
Enjoy and thanks for posting
Cheers

Jon

E
ECTiki posted on Wed, May 6, 2015 1:49 PM

Kool video. That was fun. Alot of work on the flooring.

I hate to repeat what everyone else has been saying, but the floor turned out amazing!

Pages: 1 14 replies