Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 5-13-15 Honoring Astaire

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: May 13, 2015

On this week’s show we celebrated the life and work of Fred Astaire, who was born on May 10, 1899 in Omaha, Nebraska, and who made notable contributions to the arts of cinema, dance, acting, fashion and music.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm Eastern Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast) at: http://www.radiofairfax.org The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Nice Work If You Can Get It,” written by George & Ira Gershwin for the 1937 movie “Damsels in Distress” sung by Fred Astaire on the retrograde retrospective: The Great American Songbook.

2. “Oh! Lady Be Good!” which also was inked by George & Ira Gershwin for the 1924 Fred & Estelle Astaire Broadway musical: Lady Be Good, found on the historical collection: Sol Ho’opi’i and His Novelty Quartette – Classic Hawaiian Steel Guitar Performances 1933-34, with Mr. Ho’opi’i on Vocal and Steel Guitar.

3. “Let's Face the Music and Dance,” composed by Irving Berlin for the 1936 Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers movie: Follow the Fleet, sung in 1957 and included on the celebratory CD: Tony Bennett – Jazz, with Ralph Burns on Piano and featuring Spencer Sinatra, Bobby Jasper, Herbie Mann, William J. Siapin and Vincent D. Vittorio on Flutes and percussion provided by Candido Camero, Luis “Sabu” Martinez & William Exiner on Conga and other Drums.

4. “This Heart of Mine,” written by Harry Warren and Arthur Freed for the 1946 movie: Ziegfield Follies, where it was introduced by Astaire, drawn from the 1945 recording by Maxine Sullivan appearing on her loquacious LP: Say It With a Kiss, ably accompanied by the Teddy Wilson Quintet, with Mr. Wilson on Piano, Red Norvo on Vibes, Charlie Shavers on Trumpet; Billy Taylor on Bass and Morey Field on Drums.

5. “Cheek to Cheek,” composed by Irving Berlin for the 1935 Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers movie: Top Hat, drawn from the copious compilation: Somewhere Over the Rainbow: The Golden Age of Hollywood Musicals.

6. “A Fine Romance,” written by Jerome Kern and Dorothy Fields for the 1936 Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers movie: Swing Time, waxed by Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald in 1957 with Oscar Peterson on Piano, Herb Ellis on Electric Guitar, Ray Brown on Bass and Louis Belson on Drums, taken from the soundtrackable CD: Louis Armstrong – Ken Burns Jazz.

7. “Funny Face,” the song written for the 1927 Fred and Adele Astaire Broadway musical of the same name, limed on the LP: The Barbara Carroll Trio Plays Funny Face and Other Gershwin Tunes, with Ms. Carroll on Piano, Joe Shulman on Bass and Joe Petti on Drums.

8. “I'm Old Fashioned,” composed by Jerome Kern and Johnny Mercer for the 1942 Fred Astaire movie: You Were Never Lovelier, found on the 1956 atmospheric album: Guitar Moods by Mundell Lowe, with Trigger Alpert on Bass and Ed Shaugnessy on Drums.

9. “Let's Call the Whole Thing Off,” composed by George & Ira Gershwin for the 1937 Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers Movie: Shall We Dance, featured on the 1952 auspicious album: Steppin’ Out – Astaire Sings, with the august accompaniment of Oscar Peterson on Piano, Charlie Shavers on Trumpet, Flip Phillips on Tenor Sax, Barney Kessel on Electric Guitar, Ray Brown on Bass and Alvin Stoller on Drums.

10. “Pick Yourself Up,” written by Dorothy Fields and Jerome Kern for the1936 Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers movie: Swing Time, taken from the 1956 elevational album: Pick Yourself Up With Anita O’Day, with Paul Smith on Piano; Larry Bunker on Vibes, Barney Kessel on Guitar, Harry “Sweets” Edison on Trumpet, Joe Mondragon on Bass and Alvin Stoller on Drums.

11. “Got a Bran' New Suit (Outtake)” by Arthur Schwartz and Howard Dietz, and sung by Nanette Fabray and Fred Astaire, accompanied by Oscar Levant on Piano, in the 1953 movie: The Band Wagon, found on the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack.

12. “My Shining Hour,” inked by Harold Arlen and Johnny Mercer for the 1943 Fred Astaire-Joan Leslie Movie: The Sky's The Limit, and nominated for an Academy Award, sung by Joy Bryan on her 1957 exultative LP: Joy Bryan Sings, with The Marty Paich Septet, including Marty Paich on Arrangements and Piano, Jack Sheldon on Trumpet, Bob Enevoldsen on Clarinet, Bass Clarinet & Trombone, Herb Geller on Clarinet and Alto Sax, Ronny Lang on Clarinet, Alto & Baritone Sax, Red Mitchell on Bass and Mel Lewis on Drums.

13. “Too Late Now,” was composed by Alan Jay Lerner and Burton Lane for the 1947 Fred Astaire movie: Royal Wedding, and this version was recorded in 1961 by the multi-talented multi-reed player Roland Kirk for his labial LP: Kirk’s Work. On this track he appears on Tenor Sax and Manzello, which he constructed from a White King Saxello and Soprano Sax combined with a Mellophone Bell. He was supported here by Brother Jack McDuff on Hammond B3 Organ; Joe Benjamin on Bass and Arthur Taylor on Drums.

14. “Fascinating Rhythm,” written by George & Ira Gershwin for the Adele and Fred Astaire 1924 Broadway musical: Lady Be Good, sung by Mark Murphy on his 1956 debut album: Meet Mark Murphy.

15. “I Guess I'll Have to Change My Plan,” the Arthur Schwartz and Howard Dietz song from the 1953 movie: The Band Wagon, sung by Stacey Kent on her 1999 soigne CD: Let Yourself Go – Celebrating Fred Astaire, accompanied here by Colin Oxley on Electric Guitar.

16. “One for My Baby (And One More for the Road),” composed by Harold Arlen and Johnny Mercer for the 1943 Fred Astaire movie: The Sky’s the Limit, in a version recorded in 1958 by Frank Sinatra that was arranged and conducted by Nelson Riddle and found on the copacetic collection: Classic Sinatra – His Greatest Performances 1953-1960.

Pages: 1 0 replies