Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

RIP Robert Drasnin

Pages: 1 10 replies

Tiki flags at half mast for one of the godfathers of exotica, Bob Drasnin. Having spoken with him a few times I can say he was truly a sweetheart. Cheers to your genius sir...

P

Very sad news. Loss of a great talent. Loved his music. Well actually, will continue to love his music. Had the chance to meet with him briefly at Hukilau 2007...what a nice man.

AF

This is sad news. Voodoo is pretty much my favorite Exotica disc. I still remember finding the LP in a record shop, I took it to the shop owner and he said "6 Bucks". I felt like I stole it.

I feel very lucky to have met Mr. Drasnin in late December of 2010 when he played with and led The Waitiki 7 during their performance of a lot of the songs from the Voodoo album at Don the Beachcomber. Taking a lot of photos was my way of capturing the event and he graciously posed for many. It was truly a memorable evening, the sound of the music in that setting was fantastic. It could best be summed up by the title of Voodoo's last track, Enchantment...RIP

Great pictures A Frame!! Thank you!!

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2015-05-15 05:55 ]

P
S

Two videos of his performance at Hukilau:

HERE
HERE

So wonderful that the Tikiphiles got to embrace him and he experienced a continuing love for his music and persona.

Cocktail Nation 358 Robert Drasnin RIP

A change of plans for this weeks show. Originally we intended to bring you a comedy special but late last week news came through of the passing of Robert Drasnin the movie and tv music composer and ofcourse the man behind Voodoo and Voodoo 2 exotica albums.
His good friend and friend of Tiki author, Jeff Chenault will stop by to talk about his friend.
Also on the show we talk about the difficulties in living a vintage life today and some suggestions as to how to get or maintain that authenticity

http://www.cocktailnation.podbean.com

Barry Adamson -The Big Bamboozle
Satin Chaps -Hard Drivin
Robert Drasnin Kahula Mist
Jackie Gleason-My Devotion
Jimmy Psycho -Moondance
Perry Beekman I wish I was in Love again
Mancini-A Shot In The Dark
Beegie Adair-Witchcraft
Gene Rains- Mapuana
Ken Greves I wished on the Moon
Rodger Davidson Trio Celia
Stolen Idols Sao Paulo 64

Just wanted to bump this tune up to the top after listening to it with pals last night. Such gold right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zh70PJxojE

Hope you have 4 minutes to spare....just poetry. Really.

Any update on the 3rd album being released?

Pages: 1 10 replies