Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 5-20-15 The Blues!

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: May 20, 2015

On this week’s show we chose to celebrate the bodaciously abundant musical form known as the Blues in all of its multifarious and maturational manifestations.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm Eastern Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast) at: http://www.radiofairfax.org The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Frankie” performed by Mississippi John Hurt and found on his historical document: 1928 Sessions.

2. “I'm Throwin' Up My Hand,” recorded by Rev. Gary Davis and taken from his righteous retrospective: Complete Early Recordings.

3. “When the Sun Sets Down South” A/K/A “Southern Sunset,” waxed by reedman and composer Sidney Bechet in 1938 and found on his late album: Jazz After Hours.

4. “Got the Blues for the West End,” recorded in 1937 by Lonnie Johnson and appearing in the bulging Box Set: The Prewar Blues Story – 1926-1943.

5. “Blue Turning Grey Over You,” the Fats Waller tune sung in 1951 by Billie Holiday with the guitarist Tiny Grimes Sextet appears on giant Germanic box set: the Lady Sings the Blues.

6. The 1943 recording of “Blues Clair” from the anthropomorphic anthology: The Best of Django Reinhardt with the famed Gypsy guitarist accompanied by Eugene Vees on Guitar, Jean Storne on Bass and Gaston Leonard on Drums.

7. “Blues in the Night,” the song composed by Harold Arlen and Johnny Mercer for the 1941 movie of the same name and was nominated for an Academy Award, sung in 1947 by Mel Torme and drawn from his copious collection: Love Me or Leave Me.

8. “Delarna (Take 2)” recorded in 1957 in Stockholm by the pianist Tommy Flanagan and released on his lapidarial LP: Overseas, with Wilbur Little on Bass and Elvin Jones on Drums.

9. “Love Is Just Around the Corner,” written by Leo Robin and Lewis Gensler, the song was introduced in the 1934 movie: Here Is My Heart, and later used in the 1935 movie: Millions in the Air, included on the 1957 appellational LP: Barbara, featuring Barbara Carroll on Piano, Joe Shulman on Bass and Bill Faite on Drums.

10. The 1941 song by Alan R. Jones, “Easy Street,” sung in 1965 by Sarah Vaughan on her outstanding album: Sarah Sings Soulfully, with Teddy Edwards on Tenor Sax and Carmell Jones on Trumpet.

11. “Limehouse Blues,” the 1922 song written for Gertrude Lawrence by Douglas Furber and Philip Braham, played on Guitar in 1976 by Joe Pass on his aptly titled LP: Virtuoso #2.

12. “Night and Morn,” with lyrics by the poet Langston Hughes and music by Bob Dorough, drawn from the 1958 reverent recording: Jazz Canto, Vol 1 – An Anthology of Poetry & Jazz, spotlighting Mr. Dorough’s talents on Vocal and Piano.

13. “Red Pepper Blues,” waxed in 1957 on the lux LP: Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section, wherein the Alto Sax master Mr. Pepper plays with what was then the Miles Davis rhythm section: the song’s composer Red Garland on Piano, Paul Chambers on Bass and Philly Joe Jones on Drums.

14. “Mother's Blues” by the master pianist Cyrus Chestnut on his superlatitious self-titled 1998 CD, ably supported by Ron Carter on Bass and Billy Higgins on Drums.

Pages: 1 0 replies