Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 5-27-15 Birthdays!

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: May 27, 2015

On today’s show we celebrated the birthdays of just a modicum of the fine musical artists who slid onto this mortal coil during the munificent month of May.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm Eastern Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Golfing Papa,” sung in 1931 by our Birthday Girl taken from her righteous retrospective: The Essential Mamie Smith.

2. “Weather Bird (Rag),” composed by our Birthday Boy King Oliver performed in 1928 and found on the historical document: Louis Armstrong, Volume 4, with Louis Armstrong on Trumpet and Earl Hines on Piano.

3. “Out of Nowhere,” written in 1931 by Edward Heyman and Johnnie Green, sung by our Natal Notable Bing Crosby in the year it was written, which also was the first Number One hit of his storied career, drawn from his bubbling Box Set: Easy to Remember.

4. “At the Jazz Band Ball,” inked by Larry Shields and Nick LaRocca and waxed in 1927 by the legendary Bix Beiderbecke on Cornet from his reliquarious retrospective: In a Mist, featuring our May Birthday Boy Frank Signorelli on Piano, along with Adrian Rollini on Baritone Sax and Don Murray on Clarinet.

5. “Hookipa Paka Hula,” referring to Hookipa Park Near Paia on the island of Maui, performed by our Birthday Celebrant George Kainapau in the 1940s and drawn from the copacetic collection: Vintage Hawaiian Treasures, Volume Six – Night Club Hula Hawaiian Style – Bell Records Recordings.

6. “There’ll Be Some Changes Made,” the 1921 song by W. Benton Overstreet and Billy Higgins, recorded in 1935 by our May Birthday Boy Fats Waller and taken from his bodacious Box Set: Handful of Keys.

7. “Why Was I Born?” the 1929 song by Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein II from the 1930 Broadway musical: Sweet Adeline, sung in 1937 by Billie Holiday, accompanied by the Pianist Teddy Wilson & His Orchestra, featuring our Birthday Boy Benny Goodman on Clarinet and Buck Clayton on Trumpet, found on Mr. Clayton’s cornucopious collection: Swingin’ With Buck.

8. “Who Put the Benzedrine in Mrs. Murphy's Ovaltine?” recorded in 1946 by Harry “The Hipster” Gibson and included on his synesthetic CD: Boogie Woogie in Blue, with the Hipster on Piano and Vocals, Slim Gaillard on Guitar, Tiny Brown on Bass and featuring our May Natal Notable Zutty Singleton on Drums.

9. “Lover Come Back to Me,” written by Sigmund Romberg and Oscar Hammerstein II for the 1928 Broadway show: The New Moon, sung in 1946 by Mildred Bailey, and found on her bibulous bibliography called the Cocktail Hour Series, accompanied by our Birthday Boy Ellis Larkins’ Orchestra, featuring Mr. Larkins on Piano, Irving "Mouse" Randolph on Trumpet, Henderson Chambers on Trombone, Hank D'Amico on Clarinet, Barry Galbraith on Electric Guitar, Beverly Peer on Bass and Jimmy Crawford on Drums.

10. “Hana Maui,” which was composed by our Birthday Boy Ken Darby and is found on the 1960 atmospheric album: Lotus Land, by the Hawaiian Vibraphonist Gene Rains, with Paul Conrad on Piano, Archie Grant on Flute and Bass, and Allen Watanabe on Percussion.

11. “I Don’t Know Enough About You,” composed by Peggy Lee and her then Husband, the guitarist Dave Barbour, who were both born in the month of May, waxed in 1945 and drawn from her copious collection: The Capitol Collectors Series, Volume 1 – The Early Years.

12. “I Let a Song Go Out of My Heart,” written by Duke Ellington and Henry Nemo, and sung by our Birthday Girl Rosemary Clooney and her 1956 outstanding album titled: Blue Rose, which was recorded with Duke Ellington and His Orchestra, arranged and conducted by Billy Strayhorn, featuring His Grace on Piano.

13. “Miles Ahead,” composed by two of our May Birthday Celebrants Miles Davis, heard here on Flugelhorn, and Gil Evans, who did the arrangements, with a 19-piece band including Lee Konitz on Alto Sax, Paul Chambers on Bass and Art Taylor on Drums for the 1957 landmark LP: Miles Ahead.

14. “Isn't It Romantic?” the song composed by Richard Rodgers and our May Birthday Boy Lorenz Hart for the 1932 Jeanette MacDonald-Maurice Chevalier movie: Love Me Tonight, was heard in a version recorded in 1965 by another May Natal Notable and found on her combustive collection: Inside Betty Carter, including Kenny Burrell on Guitar.

15. “It Only Happens When I Dance With You,” composed by our May maternalized fellow Irving Berlin, taken from the conflagrative combination: Shorty Rogers and Andre Previn, appropriately titled: Collaboration, waxed in 1954, featuring Rogers on Trumpet, Previn on Piano, another May Birthday Boy Bud Shank on Alto Sax along with Al Hendrickson on Electric Guitar, Joe Mondragon on Bass and Shelly Manne on Drums.

16. “Receipt, Please” was composed by our May Birthday Boy, the master Bassist Ron Carter, who plays a duet with Guitarist Jim Hall, found on their lapidarial LP titled: Alone Together, recorded live at the Playboy Club in New York City in 1972.

Pages: 1 0 replies