Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Trader Pat's Tiki Lounge

Pages: 1 14 replies

Some of this is copied from my patio thread, but I thought I should start a new one for my indoor Tiki bar space.

Here's the bar I got for $50 on Craigslist:

The veneer was peeling, so I pulled it off (in one piece! Yay!) and sanded the top down...

I started applying stain (Kona Brown, from Lowes):

...and was amazed by the woodgrain pattern...

Knocked out the panels that once held the missing speakers. My mini PA speakers fit perfectly inside (I'm a karaoke nut as well as a Tiki nut, LOL):

Wrapped the front and sides with tatami matting:

And applied printouts of vintage postcards to the top, then applied a layer of epoxy resin:

Got myself a new toy :)

Started adding bamboo:

More bamboo and a Bosko mask:

Closeup of the mask:

A simple light fixture I wrapped with Tapa print fabric, and some rowers:

Some Enchanted Tiki Room swag:

Mahalo for looking. More to come!

Patrick McNeal

Find me on Facebook!

[ Edited by: Biotron2000 2015-06-17 06:35 ]

[ Edited by: Biotron2000 2015-06-18 06:18 ]

Amazing what some stain can do for that veneer wood! Looks great. Very warm. Also - I'm a big fan of the epoxy bartop with embedded postcards / pics.

AK

Thanks!
Here are a few more pics.

I wrapped the edges of the bar top with braid:

Added some color-changing LED light strips:

And found some great barstools on Amazon:

Here's a link to the stools, which oddly went up $20 in price since yesterday: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00136EUUG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

More to come!

Fun! Looking great. I love the transformation of the bar. Didn't you say it was an old speaker/stereo cabinet? What a hoot. Great repurposing. And how wonderful to have both an indoor AND outdoor tiki space! All-weather enjoyment! :)

T

Nice!
Love the Bosko? tiki mask.

Thanks! Yes, it's a Bosko. Seemed perfect for the spot. :)

I got some more work done last night. It's really starting to come together.

Full shot of the space (it's about an 8x8 nook in my living room):

Bamboo Ben Tapa lamp:

Tiki Pops lamp with color-changing LED bulb:

Another shot with my stained glass Tiki in the window:

The side wall that somehow turned into a shrine to The Enchanted Tiki Room, with pieces from Disneyland and some amazing plaques by Tiki Al:

Doug Horne/Smokin' Tikis mask from the last ITMP, and a plaster Tiki I made about 10 or so years ago:

Mugs!

The mug shelf once graced the bar in Bamboo Ben's shop!

More to come. I'm almost done for now, but there are still details to work on, and more things coming. Stay tuned, and mahalo for looking!

Patrick McNeal

Find me on Facebook!

[ Edited by: Biotron2000 2015-06-18 05:39 ]

Had some friends over for Karaoke and Mai Tais last night. They really liked the setup (and their first real Mai Tais!). I put my PA speakers and mixer inside the bar, and the LED lights are sound sensitive and change colors with the music, so it's a karaoke bar as well as a Tiki bar. :wink:

It was a fun night for all. Now, if I could just do something about their attire!

Looks like fun, and that's a great use of a relatively small space! Thanks for sharing!

There's nothing better than sharing your tiki bar with friends.

Looks great and nice collection. CHEERS

Did some upgrades over the past couple of weeks. The addition of lauhala matting and bamboo trim really transformed the space. I ran out of bamboo, so there's still some trim left to add. I'm so happy with the way this is turning out!

Mahalo for looking!

T

Love the space. You've picked some excellent pieces that mesh together well and your repurposed bar is perfect. Well played, sir!

Why, thank you!

Love your indoor space! I am pretty sure I commented on your other thread but I just LOVE that stained glass piece your friend made. It looks fantastic in these pictures. If she (I'm pretty sure you said your friend was female) decides to make another let me know!!

Pages: 1 14 replies