Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Tiki Welcomed Visitors to Montreal's EXPO 67

Pages: 1 0 replies

HOW A POLYNESIAN WAR-GOD LEARNED TO LOVE CANADA
$1,000 or best offer.
Check out the following site for details. You can also contact seller through that site.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collectibles/city-of-toronto/polynesian-tiki-from-expo-67/1082220605?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Here's the background story.

Tik (pronounced 'teek') is a 6 foot 2 inch war god that stood guard at the Polynesian Restaurant in La Ronde during the World Exposition, Expo 67, in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, which opened in April 1967 and set six-month world attendance records until closing at the end of September, 1967.

An Ontario-born, Montreal resident, broadcast sales representative, Norm Guilfoyle, joined the massive opening night crowd that jammed the new Montreal Metro system for hours and resulted in many Montrealers going directly back to work the next morning because they couldn't make it home in time to sleep, shower and shave. Instead, they just went all out the first night of Expo (and made lots of new friends crammed into the powder-blue Metro cars).

Among those jammed into the Metro was Guilfoyle and a number of his broadcasting cohorts who ended their Expo Opening Day enjoying a few liquid libations in the amusement area of Expo, La Ronde, where the Polynesian Restaurant was a star attraction.

It was also licenced to sell terrific drinks, many featuring pineapple and other Far Eastern specialties.

"I loved Tik the moment I saw him in all his splendor," says Guilfoyle.

"I was especially entranced by the fact that this massive piece of Far Eastern tik (an especially heavy wood that feels a lot like iron and is indigenous to Thailand) was, in truth, a yellow and brown fibreglass figure that looks totally authentic as a war-god, yet was outfitted inside with a 50-watt light-bulb that made him appear luminous and ghostly in the dark."

"I knew Halloween was coming about a month after Expo closed ," Guilfoyle continues.

"I figured Tik would scare the hell out of the neighbours. I decided right then I wanted him. I also realized this was April and the restaurant wasn't about to give him up now when Expo was just opening. So I set about working out a plan with the owner.

"I would return closing night in September. Yes, a price was mentioned."

Of course the restaurateur never expected to see Guilfoyle again. Imagine his surprise when Norm and a couple cronies showed up for dinner on Expo's closing night, September 30, 1967, Norm's birthday.

"Hi, I am here to pick up, Tik," Guilfoyle beamed. "We have a vehicle and we'll be ready to go right after dinner. I brought cash."

That remark was none too bright on Guilfoyle's part. The restaurant owner's eye lit up.

Guilfoyle didn't care. Tik was going to be his!

The closing of the Polynesian Restaurant at Expo'67 rushed along. The owner was anxious to get home to Hawaii. He had no desire to lug the looming Tik back to Honolulu with him. (Tik had been custom-built in Honolulu according to its owner.)

"Congratulations Norm, you are the new owner of a one-of-a-kind 'war god'. I'm sure you will give him a good home. He was a wonderful attraction here at Expo, but I'll be pleased to leave him to you. I'll just give him a hug and you can be on your way," the restaurateur said, slipping the cash into his pocket. "See you around, Tik. Keep your tongue clean."

Tik was last seen at Expo '67 getting into a station-wagon taxi. Of course, he was lying on his back. Might have been too much to drink.

[ Edited by: Norman Sells 2015-06-23 06:56 ]

[ Edited by: Norman Sells 2015-06-23 07:11 ]

Pages: 1 0 replies