Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 7-1-15 Celebrating the 4th

Pages: 1 0 replies

DZ

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: July 1, 2015

On this week’s show we marked the imminent arrival of July Fourth – Independence Day – in all of its summery splendor, along with those relevant relaxations and adventitious avocations associated with the season, featuring a plentiude of capablistic contributions from our 50th state.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm Eastern Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Stars and Stripes” found on the righteous retrospective: Sol Hoopii in Hollywood – His First Recordings 1925.

2. “American Patrol,” the 1885 March by F.W. Meacham performed in the 1940s by Alvino Rey and the King Sisters, found on the collaborative collection: So You’re the One! From Sweet to Swing.

3. “My Little Grass Shack in Kealakekua, Hawaii,” sung by Dorothy Lamour in 1943 with the able assistance of Dick McIntyre & His Harmony Hawaiians, and is found on the lovely album called: Queen of the Hollywood Islands. This song was composed by Tommy Harrison and Bill Cogswell for the July 4th canoe races held in Kona in 1933.

4. “Golden Sands” recorded by Les Paul and Mary Ford on their 1959 l’amourish LP: Lover's Luau.

5. “Swimmin' with the Wimmin'” waxed in 1933 by the Brit ukulele-playing comedian: George Formby, found on the bulging box set: With My Little Ukulele in My Hand.

6. A March medley, including “Hilo March,” “Kona Au I Ka Wai” and “Aia Hiki Mai,” performed by George Kuo on his auspicious album: O Ke Aumoe – Night of the Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar. [1) Was composed as a song in 1881 by Joseph Kapaeau Ae`a, arranged into a march by Henri Berger. Berger was the Royal Bandmaster of the Kingdom of Hawaii from 1872, when he was loaned to King Kamehameha V by Kaiser Wilhelm I of Germany, and was made a citizen of the Kingdom of Hawaiil in 1879. He remained there until his death in 1929, 2) Was by King David Kalâkaua. The lyrics refer to drinking gin: “I throb for liquid, royal liquid, gin”). 3) Is credited to either Princess Miriam Likelike or Emma Kapena. The lyrics mention Lihau and Malama Mountain on Maui and are literally about flowers dying, representing lost memories.

7. “Minor Swing: To Django,” performed by the band aptly named for the Fourth of July: Children of the Revolution, featuring Jeffrey Castle on Violin and drawn from the superlative CD: Swing Around the World.

8. “The Surf and I,” from the original movie soundtrack composed and performed by the alto sax player Bud Shank for one of the earliest surfing movies: Slippery When Wet, which was released in 1959, recorded with Billy Bean on Electric Guitar; Gary Peacock on Bass and Chuck Flores on Drums

9. “Give Me Liberty or Give Me Love,” composed by Leo Robin and Ralph Rainger, introduced by Claudette Colbert in the 1933 movie: Torch Singer, sung for us by Mildred Bailey with the Dorsey Brothers Orchestra, including either Jack Teagarden or Glenn Miller on that muted trombone solo, appearing on her CD set: Cocktail Hour Series.

10. “The Game of the Year,” taken from the 1966 Soul of the City concept album by the arranger and composer Manny Albam, featuring Frank Wess on Tenor Sax, J.J. Johnson on Trombone and Phil Woods on Alto Sax

11. Rain Sometimes,” the song by Arthur Hamilton sung and performed on Piano by Barbara Carroll for her reticulated recording: This Heart of Mine, accompanied by Jerome Richardson on Alto Sax, Art Farmer on a “Flumpet” – described as a cross between a Trumpet and a Flugelhorn – with Jay Leonhart on Bass and Joe Cocuzzo on Drums.

12. “Philadelphia Mambo,” by the famed Vibraphonist Cal Tjader on his 1956 Latinesque LP: Black Orchid, with Manuel Duran on Piano; Carlos Duran on Bass; Luis Miranda on Congas and Bayardo Velarde on Timbales.

13. “Stompin' at the Savoy,” composed in 1934 by Edgar Sampson and Andy Razaf, pianistically rendered by Harry Connick Jr. for the soundtrack album of the movie: When Harry Met Sally, with Benjamin Jonah Wolfe on Bass and Jeff “Tain” Watts on Drums.

14. The Eddie Harris composition, “Freedom Jazz Dance,” sung by Eddie Jefferson on his 1976 oratorialistic album: Vocalease, with Mildred Weston and Conrad Buckman on Backing Vocals; Mickey Tucker on Organ, Joe Newman on Trumpet; Billy Mitchell on Reeds, Sam Jones on Bass and Eddie Gladden on Drums.

15. “Of Thee I Sing (Baby),” found on the 1959 landmark LP set: Ella Fitzgerald Sings the George & Ira Gershwin Songbook, with Nelson Riddle & His Orchestra.

Pages: 1 0 replies