Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tilso set - any information?

Pages: 1 10 replies

I just bought these and I think the only other one I've seen in this green glaze was in the Plastic Paradise doc. owned by Brian Marsland - the coffee pot? on the shelf center shot...

If anyone has any information on these it would be gratefully received ...

Looks like you found a "Westwood" sugar & cream ceramic set.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2015-07-02 10:36 ]

No, they are always mistaken for Westwood - but they're not.

Labeled - Tilso -

there are a couple creamers on ooga-mooga, but no sugar bowls. http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=6428

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2015-07-02 11:28 ]

thank you, yes I have done all the searches on all the sites - still stumped.

Does no-one know anything about these???

J

It would help if you'd be specific about what kind of information you're seeking that's not already on Ooga-Mooga.

Seriously? you think that no information other than - Japan - is enough information on Ooga Mooga?

I hope to find years of production, alternate glazes etc. from THE tiki source(Tiki Central)

TILSO of Japan Pottery mostly manufactured in the 1950s & early 1960s
they did very little, if any, "Tiki" designs, yours are more Asian inspired designs
a depiction of Buddha I would say.

This is all I know of TILSO, it really does look like they copied Westwood Ceramics
or maybe Vice Versa.

J

On 2015-07-02 12:11, britishink wrote:
Seriously? you think that no information other than - Japan - is enough information on Ooga Mooga?

Apparently you missed the link above where Ooga-Mooga conveys this additional information:
"Tilso
Production years: circa ? - 1976
Tilso was part of L.Batlin and Son, a New York City-based company that was formed sometime prior to 1913. L.Batlin and Son began as dealers of antiques, and following the depression formed the import company Tilso. they imported various ceramic items from Japan. Tilso was in business until 1976. The name Tilso was derived from the names of the owners wife and daughter, Tillie and Sonia. "

Seriously, I did miss that thank you humbly.

Now it's just the name and production dates to track down.

Pages: 1 10 replies