Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki: A Story for Bartenders -- how I'm working to educate the next generation of tiki bartenders

Pages: 1 11 replies

H

Thought you folks might be interested in hearing about something special I've been doing for the past couple of months. There has been a wonderful surge of interest in tiki and tropical drinks amongst the higher-end craft cocktail bartenders around the country, but they haven't seemed to have much understanding about the beautiful, rich history that gave birth to these drinks. Many of them have read Beachbum Berry's wonderful books -- but they haven't been inspired to learn more beyond the recipes and a little sliver of bartender-centric history.

So, I created "Tiki: A Story for Bartenders," an hour-long talk to give them more context, to teach them a bit about the history of Hawaii, the South Seas, and its influence on American culture, and vice-versa. I tell them about the impact it had beyond the drink recipes -- the food, the design, the music, the architecture, the way that Polynesian Pop culture infused itself into many facets of society in ways we take for granted today. In short, I encourage them to think beyond going crazy with the garnish, and challenge them to create a more immersive experience for the customer. And, most importantly, I impress upon them right off the bat that this started, and remained for a long time, a high-end dining experience.

I am so happy to report that the talk has been received enthusiastically, and is creating greater understanding of Polynesian Pop and Tiki. Each time, I've been able to get into great, meaty, thoughtful conversations with these newly inspired bartenders. I've given the talk about eight times so far, reaching more than 60 bartenders, and I have more scheduled. I've been giving the talk here at my home bar in San Francisco (where I can only fit about 6 people at a time), and I just returned from giving the talk to a large group of bartenders at Portland's Hale Pele -- many people in the audience drove all the way down from Seattle just to hear the talk!

I'm working on bringing the talk on the road to reach more bartenders, and I'll keep giving the talk here at home until every bartender who wants to hear it does.

Tiki: A Story for Bartenders seminar at Hale Pele in Portland, photo by Jason Alexander of Tacoma Cabana

J

I'm sure I could locate an appropriate bar in North Carolina in which to have your talk. There is a growing craft cocktail scene here and I think you could pull folks from both North and South Carolina that have an interest in Tiki cocktails. It might also help spur demand for a higher quality rum selection in the state-owned liquor stores in NC. We might even be able to pull some folks from eastern TN and northern GA. I have a rather comfy couch you're welcome to crash on.

T

Would be good to post a video of this talk on YouTube as well that way you could
reach the world.

Good luck!

H

JenTiki - an East Coast tour isn't out of the question, probably for 2016. I'll be in touch!

tikiskip - I don't want to rule out sharing it via video, but a huge element of this talk is dropping these folks in an immersive tiki environment. The talk would lose much of its impact without that. I also really enjoy talking to these guys, it's what keeps me going. But someday, maybe.

UT

Humu, this is a great service you are doing. I love to tell the tales of the history of Tiki while I'm mixing drinks in my home bar for guests. The stories of the people and places combined with a genuinely made cocktail served in a dimly lit and lovingly decked out home bar makes for a special evening in my humble opinion. Thanks for all of your hard work.

T

This is fantastic. I'd love to hear you speak in person. While I've noticed the increased attention on "tiki" drinks (intentional quotation marks) at craft (and box standard) cocktail bars, often (to me) I feel something is missing. Often it's bartenders (aka "mixologists") trying to outshine each other by making variations on classic cocktails, without having a knowledge, or palate, of said original cocktails.

Others here may disagree, but I find it fairly common- especially here at home in San Diego. Well, I have other ideas about making drinks, too. So, please consider this an invite to speak down here. I'm sure we can easily round up a great crew of both the (semi-pro bartenders) SD Ohana plus more!

BK

There's plenty of room at Kowloon for a Boston stop!

F

I find this to be a great idea.

Reason being we are on the cusp of another Texas Tiki Week down here in Austin. Though there are great things planned with the likes of the folks from the Lost Lake, Appleton, BG Reynolds etc etc. I do feel a lot of the culture is lost in mix. Understandably so as many of us were simply just too young or not around. Honestly terrible premixes, and paper umbrellas hit the minds of the masses more often than not when it comes to Tiki. I am very grateful for this new wave of interest as it has allowed me to find the escapism that the culture provides. Maybe I am a kindred spirit with those that came before me as an Iraq War and Combat Vet; I get it, allows the mind to wander to a relaxing carefree world. Not too mention its like Gilligan's Island all over again from my youth. Texas Tiki Week is geared towards membership of the United States Bartenders Guild... Though there are aspects open to the "public" a lot is closed. What you are doing I feel would help educate the up and coming masters of the Tiki Drink understand the fan base. You have to start there... hardly a soul with that mindset I mentioned above is ever in their right mind going to pay a premium for a cocktail when Rum & Coke is the better option to thoughts of Mom & Dads Mai Tai mix from the fine folks at Finest Call.

Just my thought...

I hope your interesting talk could arrive to Barcelona too!!!

On 2015-07-31 22:51, TikiAno wrote:
This is fantastic. I'd love to hear you speak in person. While I've noticed the increased attention on "tiki" drinks (intentional quotation marks) at craft (and box standard) cocktail bars, often (to me) I feel something is missing.

Indeed, and that is why Humu's talk is so important: The main thing that is missing in the new cocktailian community is the awareness that TIKI is an all-encompassing art form, not just rum drinks. They are coming from a Tiki-depleted environment and have only their juices and liquors to play with, so the Tiki mug represents the height of daringness in their world. The rich tradition that exists beyond that is unknown.

TM

Nice. I saw your talk on tiki bars around the world at Tiki Kon in Portland, it was great too. But this is something we could really use, especially here in the mid-west where I live. If anyone needs an escape to a fantasy paradise, it's the poor landlocked people here.

T

Sven, I wholeheartedly agree. I notice many "craft cocktail" focused places calling anything with rum "tiki," which is obviously quite off base. That being said, there is an increased focus on rum drinks, which is good, unfortunately often this includes a bastardization of said cocktail, which is bad. I think Humu's talk along with others writing/ speaking about this could help educate many about this issue- which should create some better cocktails along the way, too (win-win).

Pages: 1 11 replies